Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

leasing vs buying

Options
  • 23-12-2004 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭

Heh Lads

I am currently considering options on puchasing a car and someone suggested having a look at leasing as an option..

I would like a new car but am the sort of person who would get bored quite quickly and would probably want to change every year or two. This would cost me a fortune and I would be quids down big time..

So I want a new car and don't really care whether I own it or not as the depreciation is a massive disadvantage..

So has anyone had any experience doing this sort of thing? At most I would be doing 15,000 miles a year.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

If you're getting a loan get it through the credit union - dont get a bank loan liek I did - the interest on it is ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

It will be more expensive than the traditional routes of buying it with or without finance. I know a chap who pays €1000 per month for a E200, the leases tend to be over 3 years rather than 1-2, adding servicing etc will also increase the price

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just gave Windsor motors a quick call there.. Offering a brand new Astra over 4 years for 320 a month.. just a rough price but interesting..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just gave Windsor motors a quick call there.. Offering a brand new Astra over 4 years for 320 a month.. just a rough price but interesting..
    Is there a baloon payment at the end?
    4 * 12 * €320 = €15360 - looking at nicemove.ie the cheapest astra is €18,710, leaving you with a shortfall of €3350 which must be paid at the end. This calculation also is based on the basic car (1.2 XE GL) and also doesn't factor interest etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

1000euro a month is a good price on a new e200. if u look at depreciation u can buy a 2000 e230 for 46000 off the new price so 11500 depreciation a year. also finance cost of say 2800, and it works out 14500 roughly. an e200 will cost a little less. id say 12000 a year is the going rate mate. the cost of driving even a low level merc is 12000+fuel2000+1000tax+2500 insurance +500 servicing=18000. to spend this you need to make 33000 before tax.
    food for thought for basically a nice car but no where near a great one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kbannon wrote:
    Is there a baloon payment at the end?
    4 * 12 * €320 = €15360 - looking at nicemove.ie the cheapest astra is €18,710

My guess is that it's just a lease - Jesus would never own the car at any point

not owning it ever is the plan..

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

not owning it ever is the plan..

Grand. It is a good way of fixing your monthly outgoings. If you are a careful owner and driver however, your expected outgoings over the term of the lease would be lower than the lease payments

Any chance of getting an even better deal: a company car? :D

mobile phones bills are paid for already, the company car is the next goal ;)

Advertisement