Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Free SE K700i ... how to set it up to send Emails (Vodafone RTG)

Options
  • 23-12-2004 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭

Just bought one of these babies with the DSS-25 Docking station .. happy so far ... wndering if anyone can help me to set up how to send emails .. I'm on vodafone (Ready to Go) and have a vodafone.ie email address...

Cheers and happy christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

you can't. In order to connect to your POP3 (or whatever) email service you will need access to the ISP APN. This is not available to prepaid customers..

One of the reasons why I left Vodafone after one week!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭nome

i've a SE f500i ready to go phone and i'm able to send emails, maybe it cos it a live! phone, only thing is, i cant send them by gprs but i can by csd, the settings where on phone when i got it. you can get some settings needed on the live! part of the vodafone site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

LizardKing wrote:
    Just bought one of these babies with the DSS-25 Docking station .. happy so far ... wndering if anyone can help me to set up how to send emails .. I'm on vodafone (Ready to Go) and have a vodafone.ie email address...

Hi, Vodafone are the only operator at present not to provide GPRS Internet/ISP access to their pre-pay customers.

You can get very basic access your Vodafone email through the Live! portal on your phone's browser. However, to use the built-in email client on the phone you'd need to configure their Mobile ISP dial-up connection, billed per second and limited to a regular GSM CSD dial-up call (rather than the faster HSCSD call available to post-pay customers)

Connectivity > Data Comm. > Data accounts > New Account > GSM Data

Name: Voda ISP CSD
    Phone Number: +353876202222
    User id: vodafone
    Password: vodafone
    [Save]
    [Select Voda ISP CSD]
    [Edit]
    Data Rate: 9.6 kbits/s
    Dial Type: ISDN
    [Back to Main Menu]

The configure your email client with the settings for your mail account.

Incoming Server:
    POP: pop.vodafone.ie or IMAP: imap.vodaofne.ie
    Username: full vodafone.ie email address
    Password: your My Vodafone password

Outgoing server:
    SMTP: mail.vodafone.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

you can't. In order to connect to your POP3 (or whatever) email service you will need access to the ISP APN. This is not available to prepaid customers..

Actually, thats not strictly correct, any user from any ISP can connect to the email servers POP3 or IMAP (pop3.vodafone.ie/imap.vodafone.ie - same IP address so take your pick)

If you are intending on using a handset, Id recommend IMAP4 because it means a lot less work for the handset to do.

IF you are connected via ISP (dialup,GPRS or 3G) then you can send email via Vodafone from mail.vodafone.ie.

However, if you want to use your own ISP of preference then use your own email server setting your @vodafone.ie address, mail.eircom.net etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sorry you misunderstood me I think. In order to send an email using GPRS and an email client on a handset, the customer must be granted access to the ISP Accesss Point Name (isp.vodafone.ie). Access to the ISP APN is not granted to Vodafone Prepaid customers however.. The only option would be to connect to the Vodafone Mobile ISP over CSD (or any other ISP at that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I might upgrade to a vodafone bill account what sort of timeframe do you have to sign up for ... I'm hoping I can sign up for a six month contract but suspect a year would be the minimum length of time :}

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭detritus

Sorry you misunderstood me I think. In order to send an email using GPRS and an email client on a handset, the customer must be granted access to the ISP Accesss Point Name (isp.vodafone.ie). Access to the ISP APN is not granted to Vodafone Prepaid customers however.. The only option would be to connect to the Vodafone Mobile ISP over CSD (or any other ISP at that).

Indeed I did, my mistake sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

LizardKing wrote:
    I might upgrade to a vodafone bill account what sort of timeframe do you have to sign up for ... I'm hoping I can sign up for a six month contract but suspect a year would be the minimum length of time :}

yup 12 months... or if you want to stay pre-pay port to one of the other operators, but keep in mind GPRS isn't cheap (particularly on a pre-pay account)

• Advertisement

Meteor's prepaid GPRS is the cheapest of the two, its €2.50 per 512kb transferred. O2 charge 3c per kb which is much more. With O2, downloading 512kb will set you back €15.36!

Hello again ... I seem to have messed up my WAP access settings for my SE K700i ... I went to the SE website and odafone website and got settings sent to phone but m not sure which to use ... Also should I use GSM only or GPRS and GSM ... Anyone know how to manually (properly) set up the wap access for a vodafone RTG account on the SE K700i...

Cheers

I deleted all my settings and re-entered from vodafone website , tis working again smile.gif for anyone who needs the links to settings for wap over gprs - GPRS Setup on K700i (same as F500i) and Picture messaging - Picture messaging on K700i (same as F500i) also may be of use ( emails , wap over CSD )

Cheers

Advertisement