Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ECB Tracker Mortgages - Questions???

Options
  • 23-12-2004 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

My wife and I are currently with EBS and paying 3.25% a.p.r. variable.

On enquiring the other day, EBS told me that their tracker mortgage is 1.25% over base, making their tracker 3.25% (ECB = 2% + 1.25% = 3.25%), the same as their variable.

I then contacted my own business bank, National Irish Bank, and was informed that their ECB tracker is 2.8% a.p.r. i.e. 0.8% over ECB.

They offer a switching package which includes:

€600 towards the cost of legal fees AND I can choose my own solicitor;

No arrangement fee;

No booking fee;

The only requirements are:

The loan must be over €100k and less than 60% of the value of the property. We qualify on both counts;

There may be a valuation fee. Though when I explained where we lived and what property costs here, I was told that the person I would be dealing with in the branch would be familiar with valuations here and that the valuation should be unnecessary.

I was told that there would be no other hidden costs or charges.

Finally, I was told that the 0.8% over base would be guaranteed for the duration of the loan.

Since the difference between the two rates is more than 50%, when one excludes the ECB cost of 2%, this seems too good to be true.

Where's the catch? It seems like a total no-brainer.

I love the EBS mutuality ethos, but money is money. And, as a wise man once told me, "NEVER get emotional about money!"

Comments please.

D.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Dinarius wrote:
    Since the difference between the two rates is more than 50%, when one excludes the ECB cost of 2%, this seems too good to be true.

Where's the catch? It seems like a total no-brainer.

1. Get onto EBS and see if they can better their offer, you may be pleasantly surprised.

2. The difference is .45% which is €450 a year on a €100k Mortgage

3. The cost of changing is probably only €1000 (- their €600) = €400

4. Payback time under one year , yes it IS a no brainer. :)

5. NIB have been doing keen tracker rates for at least 2 if not 3 years by now, I am not in the least surprised. Check T&C's on their €600 offer and get some quotes for the work, a solicitor should give youa flat rate for it and not charge a % as it is so simple. The biggest single cost will be some govt stamp or charge .

M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Muck wrote:
    2. The difference is .45% which is €450 a year on a €100k Mortgage
    M

Muck,

Thanks for that. Looks like I'm not dreaming then!

Who are T&C?

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i'd say he means terms and conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Nuttzz wrote:
    i'd say he means terms and conditions

Doh!

Of course he does!

I blame the office party.

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

If I remember correctly I think that there is actually someone cheaper than NIB although I could be wrong. Check the "your money" section in the Sunday times Business Section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dinarius wrote:
    National Irish Bank
    Remember direct bank to bank transfers, no new sterling Northern Bank notes. ;)

Advertisement