Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-skimmed milk? I can't find any...

• 23-12-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where semi-skimmed milk? I bought an ice cream maker for my sister, and most of the supplied recipies involve semi-skimmed milk. Trouble is, no shops seem to have it. I'm also looking for peppermint essence, i've tried loadsa shops and supermarkets for this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's everywhere, honest! Trouble is they don't always call it semi skimmed, but usually "light" or "lite", or something like that. There's also stuff around that's skimmed but that's like water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

So does 'Slimline' mean semi skimmed, or should i get low fat milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

slimline is skimmed i think.... dunno what semi skimmed is..

Id say go for the pink cartons...?

surely youd get peppermint essence with all the little bottle of stuff for baking eg.vanilla essence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Kalikat

I was totally confused by this when I first moved to Ireland. ;)

Slimline (usually pink) = skimmed
    Low fat (usually green) - semi-skimmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Fantasy

Em , i would also say go for the pink carton .. im pretty sure thats semi-skimmed. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Strange, it's usually everywhere. I know with Avonmore the semi-skimmed ones are the light blue and the red (supermilk) cartons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,004 ✭✭✭✭Stark

PS: Are you sure you can't use full-fat milk for the ice-cream maker? The recipes probably say "semi-skimmed" to delude you into thinking "hey it's only half as fattening" when the difference is neglible :) I'd imagine full-fat milk would make tastier ice-cream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

yeah, i'm gonna save myself the trouble and use super milk.
    cheers folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Low fat milk sucks. It doesn't taste like milk. Just like low sodium salt isn't salty.

Advertisement