Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie question(and it might be complicated)

• 23-12-2004 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

So, i have a PC at home, and my the people my dad work for are giving us broadband so he can work from home. He's got a laptop, and he's going to connect to the work-network via the broadband modem (netopia btw. eircom thing). So what i want to know is: can i connect my computer at home (Medion Titanium) to the laptop and to the broadband? The Netopia thing has a USB port and an ethernet port. If i plug one computer into each, will that be enough to give me broadband and a connection to the laptop from my Medion?

Note: i can't test anything you guys suggest, cos none of this stuff is set up yet, we're waiting for the ICT guys from work to come over and do their thing. I just want to be able to ask them intelligently if i can do this or not, and what should be done.

Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

WATCH_OUT wrote:
    If i plug one computer into each, will that be enough to give me broadband and a connection to the laptop from my Medion?
    yes. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

WATCH_OUT wrote:
    So, i have a PC at home, and my the people my dad work for are giving us broadband so he can work from home. He's got a laptop, and he's going to connect to the work-network via the broadband modem (netopia btw. eircom thing). So what i want to know is: can i connect my computer at home (Medion Titanium) to the laptop and to the broadband? The Netopia thing has a USB port and an ethernet port. If i plug one computer into each, will that be enough to give me broadband and a connection to the laptop from my Medion?

Note: i can't test anything you guys suggest, cos none of this stuff is set up yet, we're waiting for the ICT guys from work to come over and do their thing. I just want to be able to ask them intelligently if i can do this or not, and what should be done.

Thanks very much.

If work is setting up for you why dont you ask them to get the eircom wireless option if its not too late already? Eircom supply a wireless router and that would mean your Dad and yourself would have much more freedom in terms of where the pc and laptop can be located.
    I presume you do not want him working beside you while you are on the net and vice versa. You dad's laptop may already have a wireless card but if not Argos were selling them recently (this link is the English price of course) for only 35 euros (g type which is faster than the b type) which is not a bad price. this should mean he could work from any room in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Steveire

dub45,
    yeah i think it's too late for getting the wireless modem, but that doesn't matter anyway, cos he's got one of those docking station things, and it'll be close to the Medion (10m cable should cover it). I think the laptop has a wireless card. do i need to have admin priveleges to make a wireless network of the laptop and desktop (desktop already has wireless)?

Advertisement