Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Perfect blue - did anyone completely understand it?

• 24-12-2004 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭

Just watched Perfect Blue for the 2nd time. It makes more sense, but I'm still not convinced Mima fully regained her sanity at the end of the film. What was that little piece in the middle of the film where things change from her being an actress in the film to being the person in the film and deluded into thinking she was an actress about? Came along just after she kept waking up every time she got a fright in "reality". And did she just dream the first encounter with the truck? How was Me-Mania communicating with her hallucination?

So did anyone fully comprehend it? :) (Not that I didn't enjoy it despite of or due to my confusion :) ).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ooh this sums it up pretty nicely:
    The ambiguity of this movie leaves a lot of things open to interpretation. But one thing I think is Perfectly clear is that Mima's descent into weird insanity begins when she buys a computer and logs onto the Internet. Not just any computer, mind you - a Macintosh Performa. And not just any Performa, but a PowerPC all-in-one unit. Now, I happen to be a Mac user and a fan of the systems, but speaking from personal experience I can honestly say that AIO Performas are among the worst computers ever created by human hands. After seeing Mima (the poor dear, she's so bubbleheaded that even a Mac leaves her confused and intimidated by technology) plug in the system, I actually broke my vow of never talking to characters onscreen. "RUN, you fool!" I screamed. "Don't touch it, or you'll be stricken by a fate MORE HORRIBLE THAN DEATH!" But to no avail - and thus a famous pop idol fell into the gaping maw of a personal mental hell. More than anything else in the movie, that was the scene that really gripped me and made me understand the depths of Mima's suffering.

Anyway, I have to go splash the place where my old Performa AIO was set up with my required daily purging wash of Holy Water now. It's been a few years, but the evil taint still lingers...

lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

i thought i understood it until i read your first post! :D
    great movie though.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I wached an AMV with the
    actual rape scene
    in it that had Tenacious D's "F**k her Gently" put to it.

I laughed.

On the point of the film, I will never watch it again; it was too god damn weird. And I am highly accustomed to weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Certainly the weirdest anime I've ever seen. Well actually it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.
    I do think it's good though. Have watched it a few times, but it's just so fúcked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Funny, I actually liked it because it wasn't too weird. It was certainly very down to earth compared to some animes I've seen. Now girls getting ****ed by monsters with 10 tongues using 1 tongue for vaginal penetration, another for oral penetration and the rest to hoist them in the air, that's weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah but that's totally fantasy weird.
    This is more real weird, or as you put it down to earth, which is why I find it so messed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

It was weird but not way out weird. Must watch it again, I think I got it from play.com, but have loaned it to a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

I watched it myself. It's weird as it seems to be seeing it from the girls perspective (I forget their names)but near the end it turns out that it's seems to be from the friends perspective (note when you see the evil twin chasing the girl down the alley that you see the real image of her friend in the window reflection). I think it's the shifting of perspectives from one person to the next that can confuse the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Those Performas were terrible alright... I had to use one in my first ever job...

Also, I'd assumed it was Rumi in her Mima persona maintaining that website and communicating with Me-Mania.

Advertisement