Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Watchmen In Your Cinema 2006

Options
  • 24-12-2004 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Story Here . This will be fabulous if it works and awful if not ....shades of Stallone as Dredd.

M

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I have to admit, I don't particularly see this as a good thing. Aronofsky I have no doubt would make this into a great film - I'm not so sure about the man who gave us Bourne Supremacy.

Mind you, I still hope that this is the film to change the pattern so far for Alan Moore film adaptations...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

I'm crossing my fingers and prayin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

as much as I could hope and pray that this would be all that it could chances are it wont and it would better that it never was at all then sully the original masterpiece that is The Watchmen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I'm fearing another League happening with this one... But at the same time, I will hold a quiet hope that it will be good, though it could never match the greatness of the comic...

/goes back to reading Judgement Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Exodus

I've nothing against anyone attached to it, I just don't think the book lends itself very well to a film version. Oh, and I'm just guessing here, but putting out a movie where half of New York gets totalled on the 5th aniversary of 11/9? Not going to be popular with the folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

I'm a big Watchmen fan but I'd rather they didn't make a movie adaptation. It has a great story which probably wouldn't transfer to the big screen. I just don't want to be disappointed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

and V for Vendetta.
    natalie portman stars.
    Wachowski's wrote the script.
    filming begins in march.

prepare to vomit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭americanCat

wow! a Watchmen movie?? that'd be really scary.. the comic book itself freaked me out.. how in the world are they gonna find someone good enough to play Rorscharch??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

wow! a Watchmen movie?? that'd be really scary.. the comic book itself freaked me out.. how in the world are they gonna find someone good enough to play Rorscharch??

Why can't hollywood come up with original work of its own instead of raping beautiful art like Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neil's work. All Hollywood movies should be boycotted if Watchmen is released! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Why can't hollywood come up with original work of its own instead of raping beautiful art like Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neil's work. All Hollywood movies should be boycotted if Watchmen is released! :mad:

I certainly won't be boycotting Hollywood movies, it could turn out to be the greatest film ever made. The director that's down to do it did a grand job with bourne supremacy, and (although I didn't see it) a grand job with Bloody Sunday (from what I hear anyway). The same goes for Vendetta, the Wachoskis did Matrix ... The Matrix! ... pretty much the best science fiction film ever (or at least in the last 20 years) ... revolutions and reloaded were okay films, just not as good as the Matrix, but easily up there with episodes 1 and 2 in star wars. And Natalie Portman, she's a great actress. Perfect for vendetta.

Of course they may all be crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 homer88

ANYBODY KNOW IF MOORE HAD ANY INPUT INTO THE SCRIPT?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I heard David Hayter wrote the watchmen script? It was a while ago though, could've been a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

homer88 wrote:
    ANYBODY KNOW IF MOORE HAD ANY INPUT INTO THE SCRIPT?

From what I understand, he doesn't like to be involved with the movie end of things. Wasn't involved in From Hell or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen .. . but I could be wrong.

Cactus Col wrote:
    From what I understand, he doesn't like to be involved with the movie end of things. Wasn't involved in From Hell or The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen .. . but I could be wrong.

The League of extraordinary gentleman was shiiit it had very little similarity to the comic.

PS: Watchmen the movie will be ****.

I think its a bit premature to say that the film is going to be bad. Adapting Watchmen is an enormous undertaking and would proborably work best as two three hour films rater than one two hour film.
    At least Alan Moore doesnt start bitching about how bad the films are, he understands that once he sells the rights then it no longer belongs to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

While watchmen can work with a-list names in it. I think Vendetta will work a lot better with actual proper English actors with proper English accents (not neutral english or mary bloody poppins), who are not A-List and done in England.

Actually it would probably work better as a TV mini-series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Official site is up. Looks like its happening. There will be hell to pay if they screw up the greatest comic book of all. From me..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

This movie is going to suck.

Venom wrote:
    This movie is going to suck.

I instantly like you because I like people who know stuff and have cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

watchmen.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

watchmenposter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I instantly like you because I like people who know stuff and have cop on.

Its just the law of hollywood is all. Any comics movie that is more story driven than action/special effects laden tends to be butchered for movies goers. Some stories can be dumbed down like Spiderman and Batman and some like Watchmen or V for Vendeta cant. When profit and possable sequals take prefrence over story you dont need to be in Mensa to figure out how it will turn out.

Just look at what the did to Constantine :( Its utter rubbish as a movie never mind as the Hellblazer comic adaption. The interviews with Mr Woah just shows how little of the source material he even looked at ffs.

Advertisement