Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 6260

Options
  • 24-12-2004 5:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Has anyone tried the nokia 6260..issit any good and worth buying..I've read the reviews on it and some said that is one of the best from nokia..but some said its not worth buying it due to some of the features..so if anyone who have tried on this phone and has some comments regarding it..do share it with me..thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

I'd also be interested in anyone's views on this phone. I was interested in picking one up to use as phone/mp3 player/video player/radio, given the fact that it uses RS-MMC cards, but I've since heard that the mp3 player on it isn't of the best quality, and I was wondering if anyone has bought the phone and what their opinions of it's music capabilities are, especially if there is any Symbian mp3 software which rectifies the problem.

Also, regarding video playback, I'd imagine the phone doesn't have much to offer bar basic playback of videos recorded on it, so I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using programs such as this? Given the level of compression that seems to be used, I can't imagine watching the entire of a Lord of The Rings film on it as they show in the pictures, but does anyone have any experience of whether the quality is bearable?

Also, with regards to the MMC cards, I heard in another thread that nokia phones will only accept dual-voltage RS-MMC cards. Does anyone have any experience with cards that this phone will accept? Perhaps these ones on komplett?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I lost my phone the other day (third bloody time this year as well it was stolen the last two times) and I'm severely tempted to buy one of these even though I know I shouldn't..... Not coz it's a crap phone it actually looks and seems great by all accounts but with my current record.....

Great deals on Ebay at the moment for them as well if you get lucky. One went for £185 the other day and they're going for Buy it Now prices on the US site for anywhere between $380 and $440. I actually really like clamshell phones but I'm a bit of a Nokia whore so up til now it's never really been an option!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Just thought I'd try and answer some of the questions above...

The phone does have a Radio with stereo output but the MP3 playback is mono. Thankfully this is a software issue so a 3rd party application like Ultra MP3 should work fine. The important point here is that the phone *is* capable of CD quality sound internally unlike the Nokia 6600, 7610 and 6670.

Regarding video playback, there are a number of solutions available such as DVD 2 Mobile (Nokia Edition), Mobiclip and Smart Movie. The quality and frame rate can be quite good (15fps to 25fps!) but it does require a lot of testing to get good results - especially with Smart Movie. Also, if you search around using Google there are plenty of tutorials which should tell you how to get the best results for your phone.

On to memory cards. The 6260 takes RS-MMC cards which are currently available in sizes up to 512mb which is enough for most people ;) Don't confuse these with DV-RS-MMC cards which basically operate at a lower voltage and are *so new* that the biggest size available is 64mb which is... well... to small for most people ;) The Nokia 6630 will *only* take these cards but when DV-RS-MMC cards are available in larger sizes, they will work on older Nokia Series 60 phones such as the 6260 or 6600, for example.

The TwinMOS brand that Komplett sell seem to work fine, I've used their regular 1GB mmc card in my Nokia 6600 and a Nokia 6230.

Anyway - I hope some of that helps :)

- Neil

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I've another question on this phone - hopefully someone can answer it.

How many sms can it actually hold? I saw mention of it being 1.5mb shared memory for the SMS/calendar stuff etc. I suppose it should be possible to write some sort of symbian program to move texts to MMC if it starts getting full.

Also, does anyone know if you can run symbian programs in the backround? Like something that would check the inbox capacity every hour or whatever?

Hi,

The Nokia 6260 (and other Symbian / Series 60 based phones) can hold as many text messages (SMS/MMS) as it takes to fill the internal memory of the phone. There is also an option within the phone to store all messages on an MMC card - so you're only limited by the size of the MMC card you buy.

The 6260 itself has about 3 or 4mb of memory free which is actually quite a lot when talking about text messages - probably enough for a few thousand text messages at least. Also, this memory is shared between text messages, contacts, images, audio and applications.

It is possible to have applications run in the background, much like on Windows, but I don't know of an application that warms you specifically when the inbox is getting full. Generally, when the "phone memory" is nearly full, any application that tries to save data will warn you ask suggest freeing up space.

- Neil

• Advertisement

Oh well I had intended writing one myself. Thanks for the info. :) Exactly what I had wanted to hear.

Few thousand messages would be fine. Once it doesn't take a couple of minutes to open the inbox (~2 minutes to open inbox of 150 messages on my 8310)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Druid

I really like this phone and was considering buying one, the reason I didnt pursue it was because it did not have an external display, thus you have to open it each time you get a call/sms etc...

If you can live with this and you have a bundle of cash, then go for it :)

My 2c
    - M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

The phone does have a Radio with stereo output but the MP3 playback is mono. Thankfully this is a software issue so a 3rd party application like Ultra MP3 should work fine. The important point here is that the phone *is* capable of CD quality sound internally unlike the Nokia 6600, 7610 and 6670.

Ah darn mono mp3 player,Thats off my list. :rolleyes:
    But isnt the Ultra mp3 a mono player too?Even if you boosted the sound quality wouldnt that take up alot of memory?

I think the point he's making, at least I hope I've gotten it right, is that Ultra MP3 can play in stereo. The phone supports stereo as it uses it for the radio but the application doesn't implement it.

It's a might strange setup but if it works then I'm happy. Hadn't intended using it for music playing really. IPOD will do for that.

As for the external screen yeah that does seem to bug a number of people. Sacrifices can be made etc etc. ;) Oh and I'm thinking of it as a 21st pressie. Not got that sorta money lying around!!

Hi,

halenger - I initally thought that UltraMP3 might work in stero but I've been reading some technical forums and it seems that this is not the case.

Previously Nokia have used a combined Radio and MP3/AAC decoding chip (eg. N-Gage and the 6230). A cut-down version of the chip was chosen for the 6260 providing a stereo radio only. And without that extra chip, the OS itself can only manage mono.

God knows why Nokia make these decisions :confused:

Oh, before I forget, there will be similar discussions when the Nokia 3230 is released although things are looking good ;)

- Neil

• Advertisement

Heh. Thanks for the info. To be honest it wouldn't put me off buying it though I guess it means movie watching (which would be crap quality anyhow) will be even worse.

I've no need for the MP3 or movie watching so I shouldn't really be that worried. A phone that works is a nice start. One I can program for (and not limited to just java - even though I love java). :) That'll keep me quiet.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

im really impressed with what iv seen of this phone,am hoping to grab one in the next few weeks. but with vodafone live settings for the 6600 be the same? i no their both s60v2 but i am totally unsure if the wap settings are the same.

also anyone no y the silver seems to be goin for €60 more? checks a few sites like expanseys and thats the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I've used one and I really didn't like it. Main thing that put me off it was the way there's buttons on both sides of the flip if you get me.

b_nokia_6260_01_.jpg

I found that really hard to use. But maybe you get used to it, I only played with it for 15 minutes.

Hi,

splinter - WAP/GPRS settings are not an issue now. You can either get the settings from Vodafone/O2/Meteor or download them from the Nokia web site. The Nokia 6600 or newer use WAP2 but all the networks in Ireland now support this so you'll have no problems.

And as RachG said, try before you buy - regardless of how much you've read online ;)

- Neil

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

tnx for the warning, anyone know of anywhere in dublin city where i can use one? i no carphone warehouse on henry street hav a demo model but i wanna use a real one if ya get my meaning

Advertisement