Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelt laws?

Options
  • 24-12-2004 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell whats the story with seatbelt laws? Whats the penalty for the driver if a passanger is under 18/over 18/ over 18 with a driving licence?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

upto 4 points and if you chicky little git you will get fine :D

maybe looks uncool but they help when you crash

so just f3cking wear them

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

No worries I don't leave the yard without having it on, its only on Sundays carrying lads to soccer matches every time I have to tell the dopes to put on their belts and there are a couple of guys only 16 or 17 so I was wondering where I stood should one of them not have their belt on

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

2 points for the driver for under 17s passenger(s) not wearing seatbelt. As with other penalty points, this goes up to 4 points if you contest in court and lose the case

Official site here

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

A fine for passengers over 17 and no points to the driver.

Chief--- wrote:
    A fine for passengers over 17 and no points to the driver.

Eh, wrong, see my post and link :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

What i meant is that if you are the dirver of a car and your passengers are over 17 and not wearing their belts you are not fined or given points.

The unbelted passengers are issued with a fine on the spot of 25 euros. (which does not include points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

from the government site (Children over 4 years of age may occupy a forward facing front seat of a vehicle only if they are using a safety belt or an appropriate child restraint.

A person aged 12 years or more who is under 150 cm in height is not required to use a seatbelt even if this is provided. They are of course free to wear the belt but people under this height are outside the limits of the safety belt design parameters, so there is a possibility that a safety belt could be injurious to them in some circumstances. For this reason, the law allows them to choose for themselves to belt up or not to belt up. This is irrespective of whether they are sitting in the front or back of the vehicle.

The requirement in relation to rear seats in cars takes account of larger families in the following way - where 3 or more children under the age of 15 are travelling in a car, the requirement to wear a safety belt or use an appropriate child restraint is complied with, in respect of the rear seat, if every reasonable effort is made to buckle in as many of the rear seat passengers as possible. No doubling up on a front seat is permissible but if, for example, 4 children occupy a rear bench seat designed for 3 adults, it would not be possible for all 4 to be buckled in unless the vehicle has been modified. While it is not unreasonable for a vehicle owner to make such a modification, it might, perhaps, be considered unreasonable for the law to expect that such a modification would have been carried out in every case where a family of 2 adults and 4 children use a standard family car.) http://tinyurl.com/4km7c

Chief--- wrote:
    What i meant is that if you are the dirver of a car and your passengers are over 17 and not wearing their belts you are not fined or given points.

The unbelted passengers are issued with a fine on the spot of 25 euros. (which does not include points)

That's right, sorry for my misinterpretation :)

greglo23, I missed that when I was looking at the site before posting my link. Isn't that just shocking? So all those, shall we say, non-Europeans I see driving around Lucan every day with 7 kids on the back seats are fully law-obiding as long as all back seat seatbelts are used? :confused:

Advertisement