Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

heaters on 94 316i

Options
  • 24-12-2004 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

hi folks

the heaters dont seem to work very well, or at all. only after a few hours driving does the car get warm?

what could be wrong.......its a bad time of the year to have no heaters :D

no ac in this car btw

also driving in town, it sometimes stalls or is sluggish in 1st gear, or the low gears, you need to give it loads of throttle to get moving but when you are on the road cruising its ok,, sounds like a petrol problem, maybe fuel pump? fuel filter?

cheers.

e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Might be a thermostat stuck/missing...........Heater radiator clogged/f**cked... Blower fan off - not working properly......

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Drive the car hard for about 1/2 hour, then stop and leave it idle for 5 minutes. Open the bonnet and put your hand on the radiator (keep fingers out of the fan blades!) it should be hot to the touch. If it's merely lukewarm, then suspect a problem with the thermostat. If the heater is cool but the rad is hot, then suspect a blocked heater matrix or a problem with the heater controls eg a sticky flap

I would suspect the thermostat rather than a blocked matrix. Abused BMWs can be prone to overheating and one common bodge to make a car run cooler is to drill a small hole or two in the thermostat so there is always some flow of coolant through the rad. This makes a big difference to how quickly a car will warm up and it may not warm up much at all unless you drive it hard for a while and then get stuck in traffic.

Oen other way to determine if the thermostat is stuck open/holed/missing is start the car from cold and put your hand on the radiator. The thermostat should not let any coolant into the rad for a few minutes so it should remain cold to the touch. If the rad starts to get slightly warm almost straightaway then coolant is flowing into it which means there's something dodgy with the 'stat.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

i forgot to mention, the temp gauge is almost always on the cold side. near the blue marker, should be half ways........

!

i will check what was in the previous post and get back

thanks loads and happy holidays

Advertisement