Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the end of civilisation

• 23-01-2001 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

http://www.msnbc.com/msn/517502.asp
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/front/2001/0123/fro2.htm
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    From todays Irish Times
    CO 2 volumes have increased by 31 per cent over the past 250 years, reaching the highest levels in 420,000 years and possibly as far back as 20 million years.
    </font>
    and that was before
    Facing another controversy, the Bush administration said Monday it would move quickly to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil and gas drilling, pointing to California's electricity crisis as evidence the nation desperately needs more fuel.
    </font>

All thanks to that wonderful environmentalist Ralph Nader.

Cheers Ralph!!!!!! smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually my guess is the electricty crisis in CA is staged. I mean they were fleecing thier customers then told to deregulate. Either this is being done to make the govener look bad or they have p1ssed everyones money away.

From what I hear they are a fair few companies who are willing to feed the power into CA for a fraction of the price Califorians are currently paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    From what I hear they are a fair few companies who are willing to feed the power into CA for a fraction of the price Califorians are currently paying. </font>

its all politics at the end of the day. See what happens when they jail Lawlor wink.gif all the brown envelopes disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Some things such never be privatised, just look at the state of healthcare in the us, only the bottom 5% get the free stuff.

Also id like to add that nader is a stupid commie bastid

[This message has been edited by Winning Hand (edited 24-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i happen to think nader is a perticuarly fine man.
    bush didn't win this election because of nader.
    gore gave it to him by being almost as disgusting and not nearly as charming as the good ol' boy w.
    a gore presidency would be almost as equally
    unappealing to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I hear you, Excelsior.

This dumb ever-repeated Nader rant gives me a pain in my face. Are people trying to suggest that because he knew he wasn't going to win, he shouldn't have bothered trying? Don't these people realise that getting 5% of the votes would entitle him to equal coverage and funding in the NEXT election?? Like, duh. Gore=Bush anyway.

That is what I would term "Loser Logic" or "Scapegoat City".

Errr, if you want to blame somebody, blame the dumb non-researching people who voted for Bush because apparently he has charisma...although I have never noticed. Is the charisma in his hair? Is that it?

Nader has some policies I don't like...I am pro-life and anti-drugs - but he is the best man by a million miles, in my opinion.

I feel sick when I think of what Bush is going to do to America. Bleurgh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Im sorry but im sticking to my view of nader being a fool. His policies come from a magical world completely devoid of reality. With regards to foreign policy nader doesnt have any. You can say what you want about bush and gore, personally i think they're a bunch of idiots, but at least they have many ppl behind the scenes telling them what to do.

"Are people trying to suggest that because he
    knew he wasn't going to win, he shouldn't have bothered trying? Don't these people realise that getting 5% of
    the votes would entitle him to equal coverage and funding in the NEXT election?? "
    What has that got to do with anything? So what if he gets equal coverage and funding, doesnt mean squat if the person isnt a good candidate, ffs If it was McCain versus Clinton nader wouldnt even have gotten one per cent never mind the five per cent he "needs" to do................ f*ck all.

I dont have a problem with him running for president, it is after all a "free" country, but i believe nader would be the worst possible choice to lead the worlds most powerful nation.

Anyway its not bush you should be worried about its John Ashcroft, the new attorny general whos at best a racist bastid (hes got an honourary degree from the Bob Jones University- same place Paisly has his)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Not only did Ashcroft accept that degree, he complained about judges who made rulings supporting desegregation of schools in 1997.

He opposed appointment of a black judge to the Supreme Court.

He supports the passing of laws to allow citizens to carry concealed firearms, and lent his voice to radio ads for an (unsuccesful) referendum to allow residents of Missouri to do so. This campaign was heavily backed by the NRA.

Ashcroft has said he is opposed to abortion in all cases except those which would endanger the life of the mother. He is opposed to abortion in cases of incest or rape.

In the October 1998 edition of Southern Partisan, a South Carolina magazine, Ashcroft said "traditionalists must do more" to defend Confederate President Jefferson Davis and Gens. Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee.

As governor of Missouri, Ashcroft twice vetoed legislation intended to allow the League of Women Voters to register new voters in St. Louis, a Democratic-leaning city.

I don't worry so much about Bush, he's basically a mindless figurehead - I'd be more concerned about people like Ashcroft and Bush's numerous advisors - they're the ones going to be pulling the strings.

The US is in for a grim four years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pepperkin

"the us is in for a grim four years."

Tell me about it...and I live here! *sighs* Bush is one of those "I was born and raised to be president and planned all my life what to do and now in this "free" country we've deteriorated I'm going to impose my personal views on the public instead of the other way around..."
    Clinton was the same way...he disliked smoking, therefore everyone in the country *MUST* dislike smoking. etc etc etc...
    What can we do when only jacka$$es and morons run?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

What can we do when only jacka$$es and morons run?!?
    </font>

Unfortunately, the answer is as simple as "leave the country or do something about it yourself". If you're not politically inclined and don't expect to make an adequate difference on your own, that cuts it down to "leave the country".

*I* dislike smoking... that doesn't mean I begrudge anyone the free will to do so if they wish (and it doesn't mean I don't do it myself wink.gif)

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted. -Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)

[This message has been edited by Bard (edited 25-01-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pepperkin

Well, I am definitely not politically inclined...not to mentiom even if I were, being a single pagan mom, noone would vote for me anyway (the masses do not want a loose-moraled Satanist in public office, man!)
    So that leasves...leaving the country which unfortunately is nowhere near as easy as it sounds, not with kids to support. So that leaves option #3....deal with it, and hope the world gets better before my kids are my age...lol...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement