Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psu?

Options
  • 24-12-2004 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

ill be buy these components after xmas,my question is what power supply would you reccomend, cheers

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache, BOXED

- MSI K8N NEO Platinum Edition

- TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

how much juice will it take to run these smoothly along with a gainward 5600 and a dwdrw
    cheers in advance chumps and chumpets

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

cheers nukem,i didnt even know there was such a thing as a PSU calculator,TBH, i was looking for a rough idea of which PSU would be best,
    would 350 watts be enough?
    ps can any 1 reccomend some good brands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Power Supplys

High End - Antec 480w TrueBlue , huge power, pretty low noise, nice blue lights, rock solid rails, will power almost anything.

Med End - Be-Quiet Range , all the reviews ive read have been great, there so quiet, good rails, good power and even come with blue lights should that interest you!!

Low End -
    http://www.pc-look.com/boutik/Cat_P..._58_70_193.html - Fortrons Range , these PSUs produce more power than there rated for and thus you get great value. The 300w is able for most XP systems without any hassle - trush me (running Xp2500+@2400mhz) . The 350w is a good choice and a very solid PSU (produces on average 400w+). Ohh and they also come with blue lights.

Other Good Options
    The Tagan 480w is a very decent quiet PSU
    Also the fancy TT Butterfly 480w .

Straight from Col_Loki's thread

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I have a very similar PC as the one you are building, can recommend the PSU in sig, have had no problems with it, and its not noisy, also has multiple fan speeds that you can change while PC is on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

High End - Antec 480w TrueBlue
    The Tagan 480w is a very decent quiet PSU
    Also the fancy TT Butterfly 480w .

My boy that Antec is the one i have my eyes on; OcUK or Elara have them com'on the end of Jan ----CASH---- the ButterFly is 480w but according to BloodBath it makes a bit of a racket(he has one)

• Advertisement

Thordon wrote:
    I have a very similar PC as the one you are building, can recommend the PSU in sig, have had no problems with it, and its not noisy, also has multiple fan speeds that you can change while PC is on.

where did you purchase your PSU Thordon?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I got it from komplett

Edit: Looks like its not in stock anymore, however theres a 470w one, which is dual fan like the one I have, so maybe its the new version: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=122491&cks=PRL

cheers, i missed that on komplett today,looks good and at a very good price also.

if any one has any reccomendations on a new case let me know,my budget is about 80 yo yo's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

For an extra €5 fortron do a nice psu and since they tend to underrate their psu's it'll churn out the same as the hiper or more

+more quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

I bought the exact system off komplett bar the graphics card and i got a Fontron source 350W powersupply and everythings grand at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

my thermaltake butterfly is very quiet but my case fan is so loud. it is a vantec stealth. i don't understand why it is no loud when they say it is only 20 decibels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

vishal wrote:
    my thermaltake butterfly is very quiet but my case fan is so loud. it is a vantec stealth. i don't understand why it is no loud when they say it is only 20 decibels.

The only way they're stealthy or anywhere near quiet is on 7v line or your fan connector. I have one on the 7v line extracting air out the top of my case and it's the loudest thing in there at the moment. The Sharkoon silent 80mm fans are quieter than these things, in fact, dare I say -- any 80mm silent fan probably is, they're anything but stealth. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

TacT wrote:
    The only way they're stealthy or anywhere near quiet is on 7v line or your fan connector. I have one on the 7v line extracting air out the top of my case and it's the loudest thing in there at the moment. The Sharkoon silent 80mm fans are quieter than these things, in fact, dare I say -- any 80mm silent fan probably is, they're anything but stealth. :rolleyes:

that is exactly what i thought. where is the 7v line? i thought you only have a 3.3, 5 and 12 v line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

I got this one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=301416&cks=SER
    Ive installed it but theres a kind of buzz off it, its not the fan. Is this normal?
    My old 300w one didnt make this noise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The good news is that PSU will prob power two of your systems, fortron are very good. (a 300w version would prob do it aswell, but only in the fortron brand others would most lightly fail).

There is a mod you can do to the Fortron PSU on the 120mm fan. When i had one, the 300w version i modded the fan to run on 5v and it was totally silent all the time and i never had any problems (running simular power system to what you have). What i did was get an old fan 3pin end and snip it off (leaving as much wire with it as you can), opened the PSU , snipped the wires connecting the 120mm fan to the PSU and fed them out through the rubbery place where all the other wires go out, joined up those two wires with the fan connector and then pluged the little fan connector into a 5/7v (or variable) fan controller such as the ones they have on www.hitide.ie

That makes for a totally silent PSU, but you have to make sure you plug in the PSU fan every time you mess around with anything inside (ie just dont leave it dissconencted).

My boy that Antec is the one i have my eyes on; OcUK or Elara have them com'on the end of Jan ----CASH---- the ButterFly is 480w but according to BloodBath it makes a bit of a racket(he has one)

The antec one ising that quiet if your looking for silence, great PSU and handles pretty much everything thats thrown at it and has lovely blue fans along with stable rails..... but for silence with no modding Be-quiets are definetly worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

I'd throw in a vote for any fortron. Just put the top of the line 24pin 400w Forton off komplett into my mates A64 system (Picked it for its 29A 12v line). Goes from silent to mild hum depending on fan speed connector on the back. On silent it's still nice and cool though.

Only thing to watch out for with a 24pin supply is that 4 of the pins will be hanging off the side when plugged into the mobo. You could try googling for people with experience with 24pin supplies and your mobo. His, the epox 9nda3+, had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Whatever you do, don't get a qtec!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Nukem wrote:

According to that Site, I'm about 63Watts short.... I have a 450 Watt PSU, Apparently I need a 513 Watt. Although, I entered 10 Usb Devices.... Most are connected Via Powered Hubs.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

FWIW I'm currently replacing my Antec Trueblue for An enermax noisetaker. The Trueblue does a damn fine job at stock and up to a certain point when overclocked BUT it's a little weak for the job so it's getting a replacement with something that'll give me the juice I need. If you're getting the Antec, make sure you're getting the newer one that is rated for 28amps max output and not 18/22amps on the +12V rail. There is an older version, which I have (purchased from Elara on special, probably for that reason..) and it doesn't cut the cheese when it comes to an A64 rig and a 6800GT or equivalent because your motherboard needs an extra bit of 12V rail goodness to work stable.

My recommendations as follows for the 3 categories:

High end: OCZ, Pc-Power & Cooling, Enermax (noisetaker and coolergiant series), Antec (Neopower and some of the Truepower)
    Mid range: Akasa, Hiper, Sparkle, Fortron, BFG (rebadged Fortrons), Zalman, Tagan, Yesico (fanless), Thermaltake (over rated psu's, not worth the money for weak amperage)
    low range: Qtec, Silverstone, Aerocool and anything else I/you wouldn't put in our cases :p

Any of you chumps/chumpets know what PSU's are available in PC World, i was in there bout a month back and i remember seeing a 400 or 450 or 470 watt PSU for around 60 quid but cant remember what make it was,anyone know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement