Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Merry F**king Christmas to Ryanair.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Gilgamesh wrote:
    don't think that they are making a forutne by allegidly ripping people off.
    if a person is 20 minutes late getting onto the plane, they loose their take off window and it can cost them a fortune for therefore interrupting flight traffic on an airport.

Airlines aren't fined by airports for being delayed. At most, a delay from a Ryanair flight leaving Dublin would most likely affect another Ryanair flight that might have to wait for the stand to be vacated. In extreme cases, in heavy traffic periods the delayed flight might take a slot from another aircraft, but any flight missing an allocated CTOT is put to the back of the queue anyway, so that would be minimal.

The impact on Ryanair (and other low fares airlines) would be to cause a knock-on delay for the airline all day, as they rely on fast turnaround times to enable the maximum usage of their available aircraft. A delay in departure to Glasgow means a probable delay in departure for the GLA-DUB leg, and delays for subsequent flights that the aircraft has been assigned to.

smccarrick wrote:

I cannot commend Cityjet/AirFrance highly enough.

I've a similar love for SAS, despute themredirecting me through Copenhagen to Stockholm a few years ago when they cancelled my direct flight.

I found myself with the choice of a 40 minute stopover in Copenhagen or 5 hours on my way home from Stockholm another time, naturally I gambled on the 40 minutes. Got onto the aircraft in Stockholm to be told we had a 25 minute delay due to high winds at CPH. I resigned myself to the 5 hour wait.

But hold on a second says SAS. Flight landed with 10 minutes to spare, we taxied up to our stand, right beside another SAS flight. I depart my a/c, walk down the airbridge and turn left to find the other a/c is the Dublin flight! Show my boarding card and hop on (assigned seating is a godsend), and as I buckle up I see my bags being taken from the first flight and placed in the hold of the second. Home on time, bags and all. Nice.

And their automatic check-in is a breeze to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ryanair suck, they only give you 15kg of baggage (which isn't even a full suitcase) and charge you €7 for each additional kilo.
    Alos you can't book 2 flights on the same plane to double your allowance. Air Lingus do thsi too. Now I need to find people who want to fly to London for free with no baggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I struggle to fill 15kg when travelling. What are you bringing? Why can't you just pay the extra allowance or fly with AL?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You pay peanuts, you get monkeys. I gladly pay an extra tenner or whatever on Aer Lingus for less ****ty (although still fairly crap) service, an assigned seat so I don't have to scrum through bloody pensioners and women with about twenty bags to try and get a seat, plus the airport they fly to is usually within a few miles of the city I'm going too.

Having said that, why don't you ring the Herald and tell them your story - they like bashing O'Leary so you'll get your name in the papers at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Blisterman wrote:
    Ryanair suck, they only give you 15kg of baggage (which isn't even a full suitcase) and charge you €7 for each additional kilo. .

Eeek! My empty suitcase weighs 16kg.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Do you people actually fly regularly... Aerlingus No longer offers snacks on short haul flights... you have to pay for them... like you have to do with Ryanair. Also it's free seating on Aelingus flights... Like Ryanair... Also on aerlingus you have to walk out to the plane... Guess what, Like Ryanair... they are generally 50 euro more expensive per return flight to the uk. Also... Ryanair allow you 10Kg baggage on the flight, once it's in a bag that fits into the over head lockers.

I fly a lot... I hate Aerlingus, that is all.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Also it's free seating on Aelingus flights...
    No it's not, it's assigned.
    Also on aerlingus you have to walk out to the plane...
    from Pier A in Dublin you have to walk out to every Airline. It really depends on the Airport.

Aer Lingus are going down the Budget route, but do have a bit more flexibility than Ryanair. They do also have Lounge facilities and preferrential seating, something you will never get from Ryanair. Less Punctual than Ryanair, but can be cheaper to fly, particularly at weekends depending on the route.

Well the last flight to the uk I was on with aerlingus it was free seating... Anyway, who cares if its assigned seating, you're always going to get a seat on the plane... god love you if you have to actually look for a free one. I don't really care, I have issues with aerlingus, I think they are rude and unhelpful, and as you pointed out they are less punctual... it does actually make more of a difference to me to be on time since I'm normally meeting a train etc on the other end of my journey.

I prefere Ryanair... I can't afford Aerlingus.... I fly ryanair.

I dont care what other people do really.

john

• Advertisement

Lump wrote:
    Well the last flight to the uk I was on with aerlingus it was free seating... Anyway, who cares if its assigned seating, you're always going to get a seat on the plane... god love you if you have to actually look for a free one.

And some of us prefer the more controlled and patient method of assigned seating as opposed to the general melee for Ryanair flights. In addition, I hate sitting in the middle seat (I'll only do it if travelling with a companion so that we're sitting together).
    Lump wrote:
    I prefere Ryanair... I can't afford Aerlingus.... I fly ryanair.

Personally I weigh the cost versus the hassle associated with getting to my final destination from the airport I fly into to, then choose accordingly. I prefer British Midland to London, but Heathrow is no use to me if I'm travelling to a match at White Hart Lane, Stansted is. Hence Ryanair get my business.
    Lump wrote:
    I dont care what other people do really.

john

But want other people to care what you think?

No I was expressing my opinion. that's me finished. I'll do what I do, you do what you do. Enjoy.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

why don't you ring the Herald and tell them your story - they like bashing O'Leary so you'll get your name in the papers at least.

NO - you won't....because there is NO story here. The guy was late. He fúcked up - end of story. If they delayed and let him on, there would be another thread here with contributions from all the people whose flights had been delayed that day as a result.

How many Ryanair threads have there been in recent times. Is there anyone in the country who doesn't know what they get with Ryanair yet? And yet the same people will still go and book a Ryanair flight and still feel that they are entitled to moan if given the slightest excuse.

And for those of you who don't book Ryanair, you still need to get down on your knees and thank them because that fare that your paying for your Aer Lingus/Air France/BA, etc. flight - it would be double what you are paying if Ryanair had not entered the market with their current business model.

Lump wrote:
    No I was expressing my opinion. that's me finished. I'll do what I do, you do what you do. Enjoy.

John

Always do my dear, always do. It is a discussion board though, does involve a certain amount of reading what others have to say along with posting your own opinion.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

NO - you won't....because there is NO story here

never stopped the Herald before!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

RYANAIR - Running Your Ailing National Airline Into Receivership ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I've flown with ryanair several times (mostly out of Shannon) and I have to say they have always been an extremely good carrier as far as I am concerned. The people were friendly, the planes always left on time and arrived early. And it was always the cheapest carrier.

Whats ye're problem anyway? They're not offering the same service as other carriers - its in the slogan (the no frills airline) - instead they are selling bus tickets for low prices...

If you dont like them, then dont use them... and stop fuppin whingin over nothin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

i agree with you boggle i dont like flying ryanair
    but the staff are far less CU*TY than the aer lingus twats who in my experience are mostly up their own holes.(im talking about flight staff here)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Aerlingus staff are getting a lot of bashing here- tbh, I've found them to be corteous and helpful in the extreme. Had to get a flight back to Ireland with them from Lisbon recently- and the cabin attendent volunteered to rustle me up an Irish brekkie en-route, depite the fact that its not served on the inward flights- following expediting my luggage onto the plane. While they may have pursued the low-cost route, their staff, in my experience, are wholly professional and bend over backwards to assist in any manner possible.

While challenging times may have changed Aerlingus modus operandi- there is a lot to be said for 1) Friendly and cheerful staff, 2) sufficient legroom that you're not constantly worried about DVT, 3) the minor blessing of not sticking to a plastic seat, 4) A baggage allowance that is half way realistic, 5) Flights in and out of airports that don't lie about their locations, 6) A little gratis reading material, 7) Automatic checkin facilities, 8) Not getting screwed with sterling conversion rates on UK flights, 9) The underground in Heathrow at 2.75 as opposed to Ryanairs special discounted 20.00 return tickets to the city from Standsted, 10) Not getting bumped off the flight because they have oversold it, 11) Not getting bumped off the flight because they have undersold it, 12) Being able to listen to your discman in peace and quiet when the flight is in the air, 13) Being able to reclaim the taxes and charges portion of flight tickets- when you don't have insurance, without any financial charge, 14) Delayed luggage (not the fault of Aerlingus) being delivered the following day to my work address- I could go on and on......

I, for one, will never ever fly Ryanair ever again.

Ps- I do not work for Aerlingus- before anyone starts.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Yesterday morning, we were leaving Liverpool to Dublin and check-in usually stay s open until 20 mins late like it always did. Flight left @ 7:40 AM, we got there @ 7:05 AM, and there was not a person at the Ryanair check-in desks, just ONE PERSON at the ticket sales counter. She said the check-in desks close one hour early, and we were never inform this. we gave out to her, as she was looking for £40 each for three people to geet on the 1 PM flight.

We phoned friends and family to check online for tickets, but you can't book online the same day as flight, so we ended up having to fork out the money we had left over from the holidays. Now, usually other flight companies would put you on the next flight free of charge, but no sign of that. We ended up in the airport for 5 hours, and it;s not a big airport, as you can walk around in 15 mins.

Well done, Ryanair, for gaining yet another staisifed customer. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

Worst Airline Experience I've had was flying from Toronto to Dublin with Air Transat.

Go to check in, told it will be over 200 euros for extra baggage. Their allowance is only 20KG's (for a TransAtlantic Flight!) We had over 40kgs each, as we were going for over a year.

We had 2 peices of hand luggage, but appearently one was too big, even though it was a standard carry on siutcase. Had to take out everything from the carry on and pile it into a big plastic bag and leave the suitcase there. Asked if we could get our computer as a carry on, as we didn't want to check it. Nope! No can do.. we had to check it, but still worked as we had it wrapped it up. Still cost about a hundred euro's.

Got a few drinks at duty free, and settled in for my long flight to Dublin. They had beer and snacks for sale as usual. I open one of my duty free beers, and the attendant comes over and tells me I can't drink my own alcohol on the plane! WTF?! Its a 7 hour flight and you sell alcohol, i just don't want to pay 5 dollars for a can when I have 6 here! I try it again, and she comes over again, and says she'll confisgate my duty free if she sees it again. Rediculous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To the two previous posters - have either of you ever bothered to inform yourselves of anything beforehand? Or do you just amble about waiting for everyone to do things for you. You get to an airport 35 minutes before the flight leaves and wonder why you can't get on? You'd be hard pressed to get on a bus that little in advance. And the cheek of an airline to ask you for money to get on a plane, what'll they think of next?
    And when you're going abroad for a year, could you not at least read the five lines of text on the ticket/website listing the conditions of travel, luggage allowance etc?
    Were you both amazed that some chap wanted a pink book with your photo in it and that they took your gardening shears off you on the way through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

To the two previous posters - have either of you ever bothered to inform yourselves of anything beforehand? Or do you just amble about waiting for everyone to do things for you. You get to an airport 35 minutes before the flight leaves and wonder why you can't get on? You'd be hard pressed to get on a bus that little in advance. And the cheek of an airline to ask you for money to get on a plane, what'll they think of next?
    And when you're going abroad for a year, could you not at least read the five lines of text on the ticket/website listing the conditions of travel, luggage allowance etc?
    Were you both amazed that some chap wanted a pink book with your photo in it and that they took your gardening shears off you on the way through?

I disagree entirely. The Passport is more Wine coloured rather than Pink.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Blackjack wrote:
    I disagree entirely. The Passport is more Wine coloured rather than Pink.

I, ehm, meant a driving license, for internal flights. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

smccarrick wrote:
    While challenging times may have changed Aerlingus modus operandi- there is a lot to be said for 1) Friendly and cheerful staff,
    This is debateable. Im sure there are plenty that have had bed experiences with Aer Lingus staff.
    smccarrick wrote:
    2) sufficient legroom that you're not constantly worried about DVT,
    To be honest Ive lost count of the number of times that Ive flown with Ryanair and Aer Lingus in the last year. I havnt noticed any extra leg room in AerLingus planes. If anything because Aer Lingus fly longer routes (in general) Ive only ever remarked on the small size of Aer Lingus seats. While as Ryanair fly short haul it doesnt bother me.
    smccarrick wrote:
    3) the minor blessing of not sticking to a plastic seat,
    ? Since when do Ryanair have plastic seats?
    smccarrick wrote:
    4) A baggage allowance that is half way realistic,
    What defines realistic. I would say the vast majority of Ryanair flyers dont find the baggage allowance unrealistic seeing as most of them are business travellers or people going for short breaks.
    smccarrick wrote:
    5) Flights in and out of airports that don't lie about their locations,
    Ryanair dont lie. As far as I know there are rules regarding the distance from the city that the airport is before it can be called an airport of that city. Ryanair didnt make those rules.
    smccarrick wrote:
    6) A little gratis reading material,
    You can read the safety procedures or the snacks menu if you want.
    smccarrick wrote:
    7) Automatic checkin facilities,
    Agreed. But Im sure if O'Leary gets his terminal you will see these.
    smccarrick wrote:
    8) Not getting screwed with sterling conversion rates on UK flights,
    This is your banks rate. Ryanair has nothing to do with this.
    smccarrick wrote:
    9) The underground in Heathrow at 2.75 as opposed to Ryanairs special discounted 20.00 return tickets to the city from Standsted,
    You are talking about two different airports, this point is totally irrelevant and again not Ryanairs fault. What if your final destination was a hotel at Stansted. You would have to pay your £2.75 and your £20 if you flew to Heathrow.
    smccarrick wrote:
    10) Not getting bumped off the flight because they have oversold it,
    You get this on Aer Lingus, Ive had it happen to me.
    smccarrick wrote:
    11) Not getting bumped off the flight because they have undersold it,
    ?
    smccarrick wrote:
    12) Being able to listen to your discman in peace and quiet when the flight is in the air,
    Believe it or not, Aer Lingus is one of the few airlines left in the world that dont allow and laser controlled equipment to be used on board. If you used one you were contravening their rules.
    smccarrick wrote:
    13) Being able to reclaim the taxes and charges portion of flight tickets- when you don't have insurance, without any financial charge, 14) Delayed luggage (not the fault of Aerlingus) being delivered the following day to my work address-
    I wont argue with these.
    smccarrick wrote:
    I could go on and on......
    Do I havnt seen anything I didnt already know before I boarded a Ryanair plane.
    smccarrick wrote:
    I, for one, will never ever fly Ryanair ever again.
    Fine, your loss. But just remember to thank them next time you pay 50 euro instead of 250 to go to London.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

1: You booked with Ryanair, this was very stupid, you deserve whatever you get.
    2: You assumed there'd be no traffic on CHRISTMAS EVE!! Stupid, stupid, stupid. You deserve whatever you get.
    3: You booked with Ryanair, you deserve whatever you get.

Never ever complain about Ryanair's service, I have no sympathy for you. Learn your lesson and book through a different airline.

Ryanair were not at fault here. It would have being a bad time to get stuck, but it is not an horror story on the airline’s part!

This is a case of somebody leaving things till the last second - but, trust me - it makes things interesting.
    Red Alert wrote:
    i've noticed that with a lot of check in people - they seem to suffer from some inferiority complex and then make people pay! never met a helpful check in person.

Wait a second...
    BuffyBot wrote:
    If you look at Airline, you'll see that easyJet actually come out looking a lot better than the passengers 99% of the time...

...Red Alert, it's probably because out of the 1,000 they checked in before you more then a few treated them like ****.

Advertisement