Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with phone when DSL modem connected

• 24-12-2004 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I installed Esat broadband yesterday and got the dsl working perfectly. However when I tried to make a phone call there was a lot of interference on the line plus the person at teh other end could not hear me speak. I rang up esat and they told me the line i was running from my tel port to the computer was too long. So I disconnected the lead running to the computer and just left the telephone connected to the z-blocker supplied. The interference went away but the person at the other end of the line couldn't hear anything still. Has anyone got any ideas whats going on here. I also tried swapping the z-blocker with my neighbour and I still had the same problem while his line worked perfectly. And his located next door. There is no other phone point in the house. My setup is simply a port downstairs in my house that's split in two with the z-blocker. My phone is connected to one slot and my dsl cable running straight to my computer to the other slot.

This is really annoying.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

z-blocker?

You have the microfilter on your dsl and your phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

The Z-Blocker is the line splitter which divides the phone frequencies and dsl frequencies. Is that what u mean when u say micro-filters. If so, yup I do.

Z-blocker, never heard it refered to like that before. Yes, that's what I ment by microfilter.

It's written on it.Think it's probably a brand name cause there is an encircled r beside it..Any ideas what's going on? It's really pissing me off as i wanted to use the internet without being yelled at to free up the phone this christmas. Happy Christmas btw.

Try the phone in the socket. No filters or anything else. If you get interference then, try another phone. If it still persists it more then likely a line problem, contact 1901.

• Advertisement

Ya..tried it yesterday and phone worked perfectly...seems to only happen when i hook up the filter

Ok...i've pretty much come to the conclusion that it's either teh telephone line running into the house, the connections in the socket for my telephone or the actual phone i'm using. Although the phoen is only 6 years old. I've opened up the socket in the wall to discover that one of the wires isn't connected. There are three wires in all. A blue/white l1 wire, a short blue/white l2 wire and an r wire that's not connected. Tried connecting it to see if it would work but no joy. Anyone know how to properly connect an eircom socket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

filter may be busted too..

nope...i swapped it with my neighbours filter and still had the same problem..while his works fine

Just figured out what was wrong.. I swapped my phone with my neighbours and the problem is gone. I still have interference on the line even when using the filter but I believe this is because I am using an extension lead to reach the computer that is too long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I had the same problem and the engineer that caled told me i was using the wrong wire from the microfilter to the comp. I was using an ordinary phone wire that is 4 core but the wire i should have used is only supposed to be 2 core. I changed it and no more problem. Hope this helps
    :)

Nice idea...I just tried there but it didn't work..Coincidently his phone used a 2 core cable. Think i'll just have to buy a new phone

Advertisement