Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Marrowfat Peas

• 25-12-2004 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

OK I suspect that anyone who knows the answer to this will be too busy today to go online but does anyone know of a way to rehydrate Marrowfat Peas (traditional Batchelors variety) in a hurry (say 3 hours rather than the usual 12)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

i always thought you'd put them in water? otherwise.. go to like a shop and buy some...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I don't think so. I usually leave them overnight. But try it, and let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Why not buy the no soak Bachelors marrowfats - then its just 20 minutes in boiling water!!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

For completeness I am happy to report that marrowfats put in to soak at 12:00 (midday) on Christmas day were cooked and served with a 15:00 Christmas dinner. A little bit chewier than the normal overnight soaked peas but very tasty nevertheless.

Needless to say I forgot to soak them overnight on Christmas eve and there was no hope of buying any instant peas on Christmas morning. In any case the instant marrowfats don't taste anything like the ones my Mammy used to make:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

The things people decide to do to some perfectly alright peas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Oh, you just soak those in water, is it?

I have a packet at home with mysterious instructions about tablets you need to use. What could that be referring to? (They're Batchelors).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

As with all dried pulses Peas are best soaked for 4-8 hours before boiling. however can be boiled from dry but will take longer.

For best results try putting them in the pressure cooker for about 20 mins rather than boiling for 1+ hours. This tends to keep the shape and make them less mushy but I find it increases the flavour.

If you want to go for the traditional boil until Homogenised, I find that adding about half of a vegetable stock cube and a small knob of butter 10 minutes before serving gives better results than huge amounts of salt which is the more traditional serving option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

simu wrote:
    Oh, you just soak those in water, is it?

I have a packet at home with mysterious instructions about tablets you need to use. What could that be referring to? (They're Batchelors).

The steeping tablet is in the packet so just let them steep overnight in the water.

Advertisement