Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does folder open when I log onto XP?

• 25-12-2004 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

When I log into XP one of the windows folders is opened automatically - system 32. Why does it do this and how can I stop it from happening?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

There are a good few things that'd cause this...
    1. Check the startup folder (under the Start menu), there may be a shortcut to the system32 folder launching from there.
    2. Go to Start->Run and enter msconfig - once there, go to the "Startup" tab on the right of the dialog box and have a look down through the list for anything that could be launching an explorer window in system32.
    3. Run windows explorer (the file manager) and go to tools->folder options, open the "view" tab, and scroll down the list to "Restore previous folder windows at logon" and uncheck it.

There are more places something like this could be launched from, but those are the more common ones... also try the usual virus scan and spyware checks just incase its the result of something malicious.

Advertisement