Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows ME and Explorer MShtml.dll error on startup

• 25-12-2004 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭

Ok I visted my friends Win ME pc, this was destroyed with Virus and spyware, I removed all the virus and most of the spware, after the final reboot I get this error on startup

Explorer has caused as error in MSHTML.dll Explorer will now close If you continute to experience problems try restarting your computer

When this appears you cant do any thing else with the pc and after a reboot its still appears

any ideas on a fix??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I love those helpfull suggestions from windows like "try restarting your computer"... not as much as I like those "contact your system administrator" suggestions of course :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, you might get away with booting into Safe Mode?
    I haven't used WinME much, but it probably has sfc.exe (system file checker) that can check that essential files are intact and replace them from the cd as needed.
    By the looks of things though, I'd say on a hunch that installing a newer version of Internet Explorer could well overwrite/re-register MSHTML.dll with one that isn't buggered.
    Actually a quick search on the MS knowledgebase brings up this guide to replacing mshtml.dll >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298098 ... it's tailored to win98, but it's a good starting point.
    I guess it all hinges on being able to boot into Safe Mode.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭tech

I forgot to say I can boot up in safe mode and I reinstalled IE 6 with SP1 from here and I still get the same crap :(( I have ran a SFC whihc isint suported in ME and ASD is also OK, Ive taking a load of weird stuff awat from the startup in MSconfig and still the same problme, I have never worked ok WIN ME, and now I really hate it

Advertisement