Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doom 3 Preformance Vs. Half-Life 2

Options
  • 25-12-2004 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, I tried Doom 3 and Half-Life 2.
    These are my specs:
    Anthlon 64 3400+ 2.2 Ghz
    1.5Gb DRR
    Nvidia Geforce 9700 Ultra 128mb

On Doom 3, medium quality 1,280 x 740 AA 2x I was averging around 15-20fps
    On half life 2, maxium quality on everything I got 40-50fps.
    How can this be?
    Surely half life 2 specs are equal to if not greater than that of Doom 3 and we're talking antianalising at 16x!
    Especially since I have a Nvidia graphics card and they are backing Doom 3 yet it runs better on Half Life 2 being backed by Radeon.

Has anyone got they're preformance feedback.
    I'd like to compare and see how other gamers are doing running this monsters.

I'd really aprreciate it.

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Surely half life 2 specs are equal to if not greater than that of Doom 3 and we're talking antianalising at 16x!

I don't know where you got that idea from considering DoomIII uses a unified lighting system, and HL2, well, doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Nvidia Geforce 9700 Ultra 128mb
    is there such a card or did ati and nvidia breed and this is the offspring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Im guessing he means nvidia 6700 ultra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

no, theres so such thing as the 6700 either. He probably means the 5700.

What do you mean anti-aliasing at 16x ? Theres no such thing. ATI cards can do 6x and nVidia can do 8x but thats it. Up past 4x I dont think theres an appreciable quality difference anyway though.

The reason that your card is probably doing so much faster in HL2 is because the game knows that geforce FX 5xxx cards are pants at Direct X 9 so it defaults itself down to Direct X 8.1. That cuts lots of the fancy pixel shading, reflections, smoke etc. If you want to compare them on a level ground, google for info on changing your HL2 settings files to force it to do Direct X 9. Then you'll see a nice slideshow ;)

EDIT : Unless you've got a widescreen I'm pretty sure that youre not running 1280 x 740 either. Never heard of that res. before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

doh your right really need to start reading hardware review sites again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Funny that. I was just playing HL2 using a Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb) and was shocked on how bad the textures looked. They look absolutely terrible (it defaults to the medium setting). I was expecting a lot more. Both Far Cry amd Doom 3 look way better on my machine.

Frame rate is really good though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

HL2 is a pretty old skool sort of engine. It fakes alot of effects. Doom 3 tries to do all that compicated lighting and reflection stuff in real time which is seriously cpu intensive.

Doom 3 ran like a dog on my machine. Didn't much care for the gameplay either. Not a patch on Quake 2. We'll see how it is a few years down the line though. There's plenty of potential for some good mods there.

Thing that let down Doom 3's visuals for me were the angular look of the models. Really noticeable on the bald zombies and space marines.

1l.jpg

Makes them look like their cut out of cardboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Doom 3 looks much better than HL2 up close. Id went absolutely nuts with the bump mapping and specular effects. Looks luverly.

Having played both though, HL2 is much more impressive in my book. Vast, gorgeous looking exteriors as opposed to Doom's small, gorgeous looking interiors. It's nice to be actually able to SEE what you're shooting aswell.

Also HL2 was delayed over a year aswell, so it's effectively a year old engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Vyse wrote:
    Funny that. I was just playing HL2 using a Radeon 9800 Pro (256mb) and was shocked on how bad the textures looked. They look absolutely terrible (it defaults to the medium setting). I was expecting a lot more. Both Far Cry amd Doom 3 look way better on my machine.

Frame rate is really good though :)

Turn up the settings, every game I've played on the pc always detects setting way below what I would run them at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Turn up the settings, every game I've played on the pc always detects setting way below what I would run them at.

Tried that. Didn't run as smoothly as I'd hope for. I just found it strange that even on medium texture setting that they were soooo bad. I haven't seen this quality since the Dreamcast days and even then it wasn't that frequent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

HL2 runs better for me. I use 1280x1028 and everything except AA and AF. FPS suffers on the water but still i could turn down some details to get that back but ill live with it.

Does the games backing ATI or nVidia have any impact on graphics performance or is it purely for marketing reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Doom3 is a rubbish game. Great advert for the gfx engine. Thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Doom 3 was far too dark to even see if the graphics were even good.

Advertisement