Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe are you from Pc Hijacking and Viruses

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Thanks for that linky.. handy lil site to have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Another good site is www.grc.com and do a "shields up" test.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Sure it only works if you got a good Virus Guard and Firewal installed.

D

How safe are you from Pc Hijacking and Viruses

Just found a great link for testing your online secuirty !!

http://probe.hackerwatch.org/probe/probe.asp

Checks if your open to attack.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All my ports were secure. Im using windows firewall and AVG

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If a web sites says your ports are secure just means it can't see them, if you ISP blocked them then you might still be wide open to other users of that ISP (very unlikely though)

Safe ports means you probably won't be hijacked within the first 16 minutes (which IIRC is the average time for a unpatched unfirewalled windows machine connected to broadband to get infected) , as long as you don't surf / download / icq / email etc. etc. during that time.

At present IE can be hijacked by a downloaded or emailed bmp image file or if you visit a malicious web site. (no vendor patch as yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

Going by that first test, most of my ports are "closed but unsecure". Is that a problem? How can I make them secure?

NotMe wrote:
    Going by that first test, most of my ports are "closed but unsecure". Is that a problem? How can I make them secure?

You need to get a better firewall and update your virus guard !!!!

Should be all secure !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

safe, secure and locked down as always

TacT wrote:
    safe, secure and locked down as always

Good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

just check my sig :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

once you use Windies, your never safe from Hijacking and Viruses.

There are holes in linux too except noone is bothered to exploit them

and because its open source, people see the holes and can release fixes whenever they are found quickly. Unlike M$ who take their time releasing updates. I use Windies but always know its crappy for security no matter how many ports yea have 'secured'.

If linux had as many people trying to poke holes in it as windows they wouldnt be able to get to them all at once.

Its not crappy for security, people are just going to greater lengths to make holes in it

Dempsey wrote:
    Its not crappy for security, people are just going to greater lengths to make holes in it

true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

im safe as a nut in its shell according to the test!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭SpooN_9k

all tests showed im about as secure as il ever be :D

EDIT: hey Drapper how does the penguin in your sig get those details? :eek:

Good stuff !!! then again everyone should be !!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Drapper wrote:

Unable to Probe

The IP address requesting this page is different from the IP address of your computer. This indicates that your computer is behind a proxy or NAT. These devices allow you to access the Internet by relaying traffic, typically from multiple computers, through a single IP address.

We are unable to directly probe your computer, you should take comfort from this. You have that much more protection between your computer and the Internet.

Passed all those tests. Most of them couldn't run or scan. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

a number of ports came up, 2 of these where secure but a number of them where closed but unsecure.

none of these ports though where ones that i opened myself through my router for various games etc.

currently running avg7 and the fantastic firewall that is windows sp2, i presume i just need a better firewall? whats the recommended AVG equivalent of a free firewall, kerio, zonealarm etc.?

cheers

data

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Pfff, using a hardware firewall and a software version, AVG virus scanner.... I think I'm fairly secure ;)

John

Dataisgod wrote:
    a number of ports came up, 2 of these where secure but a number of them where closed but unsecure.

none of these ports though where ones that i opened myself through my router for various games etc.

currently running avg7 and the fantastic firewall that is windows sp2, i presume i just need a better firewall? whats the recommended AVG equivalent of a free firewall, kerio, zonealarm etc.?

cheers

data
    try Zone Alarm and turn off windows SP2 firewall !!!! and try the probes again !!

Better safe then sorry !!!

Advertisement