Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTunes claiming iPod not connected - after reformat!

Options
  • 26-12-2004 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭

Hi,

my technologically inept Mother got the U2 iPod for Christmas and has put me in charge of transferring her music onto it. They had already installed iTunes so I didn't anticipate there being much of a problem. Unfortunately since they bought the damn thing in the US there seems to be a myriad of problems :(

First off, I connected the iPod to the PC. It said something about a high-speed USB device (the iPod presumably) being attached to a low-speed USB device (our PC which is by no means ancient) and that it would work at a reduced rate but I just ignored that, not much I can do about it.

Then when I opened iTunes, the display on the iPod started flashing the "Do not disconnect" screen so I thought it might be syncing. To my dismay a screen then flashed up telling me that I had to reformat the iPod to use it with this PC. Freaked out for a bit and then did it and presumed that would fix it.

But no! iTunes still can't find an iPod connected and it's been flashing "Do not disconnect" for about 15 minutes now.

Does anybody have any suggestions for me short of sending the bloody thing back to Apple? This will teach my parents not to spend $350 on something just so my mom can listen to her godawful Shania Twain albums when she goes walking twice a week!

Please help - thanks! :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Got the same iPod in America and its OK. But ill give you a bit of assistance anyway on what I would do if i was in your shoes at the moment! Bare with me, I only have the iPod a day and I might not be fully aware of things as others would.

Your first issue seems that the USB connection that comes with the iPod is to fast for the USB Port on your PC? Just a wild guess there tho.

That "Do not disconnect" display often displays for ages, and the manual says not to remove the connection but eject the ipod (read the manual for more info on how to do that, there is an icon in iTunes do that) instead. It displays even if it has found the iPod. Formating wise, it seems normal as it asked me to format (myself and my sis got an iPod and I had to format the two of them to get iTunes to recognise the iPod) which I did. It then asked me to connect to the mains (as if charging) and I cant remember exactly what it was to do but when the apple logo has been up for a few moments with nothing happening (no vibrating feeling in the iPod or noise being made) you should be ok to disconnect it from the mains and hook it back up to your pc. Then, as far as I remember it detected my iPod and asked me to give it a name, asked me to register on the site etc etc. which was optional.

You know if iTunes has found the iPod if: The iPod symbol appears below the "Music Store" on the left navigation of iTunes.

Hope this helped, if not add me to msn messenger if you got it: sully@thenet2k.com and ill offer assitance. Otherwise, ill keep an eye out here to see if my post helped.

I dont think your iPod is broken. It might help if you un-install iTunes, and start a fresh using the manual as your guide.

- Sully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

The USB problem states that the iPod USB port is 2.0, whereas the one on your PC is only 1.1. No I think about it your USB might be 2.0 also, just not configured right. You should still be able to transfere music, albeit muhc slower.

Firewire tbh.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The USB problem states that the iPod USB port is 2.0, whereas the one on your PC is only 1.1. No I think about it your USB might be 2.0 also, just not configured right. You should still be able to transfere music, albeit muhc slower.

Firewire tbh.

Thats what I thought but for my own knowledge, how can I check my USB Version (just curious :P).

Cheers!

- Sully

Advertisement