Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This spec ok for building pc?

Options
  • 26-12-2004 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Abit IC7-G Mainboard 478
    Intel Pentium 4 3.2 GHz 478
    TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB memory
    Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB S-ATA 8MB cache 7200RPM NCQ
    Sapphire Radeon 9600PRO Advantage 256MB AGP
    LG DVDRW Dual GSA-4160SBB OEM Silver DVD+R/RW/DVD-R/RW/RAM

I'd mostly just be browsing, playing a few games (some new), and downloading movies.

Been looking at a few cases recently and i have a question - what do you do if the back of the case doesnt have suitable openings for the ports on the motherboard? :confused: (the IC7-G has 4 usb's at the back)

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

Just before you buy it id suggest looking at an AMD processor ect for a bit of comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

was thinkin that, which AMDs would be equivalent or superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Motherboards usually come with a custom backplate anyway. AMD Athlon 64 would be superior to Pentium 4's in most things. But it's a personal choice really.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Bascially if you where to go the AMD 64 route anything over a AMD 64 3200 would be superior in almost every application to the 3.2Ghz P4 except video encoding. The AMD 64's really excel at gaming. Ain't much of a difference to be honest. The P4 overclock well while the new AMD 64 Winchester chips overclock very well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

No need for any sort a fancy cpu considering what your going to be using it for so pocket the extra cash and get an athalonXP+zalman7000b and overclock. It'll do grand for games as the graphics card will still be the main bottleneck :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭themarcus

might do that, would that see me ok for half life 2 and the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

HL2 will run on anything from 2800+ up with a decent graphics card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭pyro jim

need more ram and a way better graphics card. the radeon x800 xt would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Da_cOmRaDe_MiKe

themarcus wrote:
    Been looking at a few cases recently and i have a question - what do you do if the back of the case doesnt have suitable openings for the ports on the motherboard? :confused: (the IC7-G has 4 usb's at the back)

Thanks..

id go with this case if i were you. i like it anyways.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=303823&cks=FRO

and athlon 64 dont go wrong.... well impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Yep, can't go far wrong with a Coolermaster case, they are excellent cases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement