Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card

Options
  • 26-12-2004 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Im getting a new AGP card soon and while i was browsing Komplett i noticed that the 9600Xt(256mb) is as good as if not better than a 9800 Pro(128mb) for €50 cheaper. Am i missing something because it seems like a great buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

if youre looking at the speeds they (komplett) give, id take a closer look at the manufacturers site, more than once ive seen them off, unless im mistaken the 9800 pro 128mb is faster than the 9600xt 256mb card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

the 9600xt is "good" as in it beats i believe a 9800se ..but no way does it beat a pro

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

So the Pro is much better ie faster?

the 9800 is a kick ass card...not sure how it stands with the new 6600's i *think* there about the same but a 6600 can be overclocked a lot more to be better than a 9800pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭davkav

more than likely a 9800 pro from komplett can be flashed to an XT due to its core thus giving you faster memory and clock speeds

Its also mentioned that the one im buying PowerColor Radeon 9800 PRO that it has a 'This model has the 256 bit memory interface' is this above the normal or does it even make a difference anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

256 bit = good, 128 bit = bad, powercolor is fine, my brother has one, hasnt fallen apart since he got it in July :)

yep if you get 1 with an r360 core it can be flashed to an XT slap an artic cooler or ati silencer on it and overclock it more!

nicely overclocked xts are fast..got my core up to about 460...getting me about 7400ish on 3dmark03 which is like...900 more than i get at stock which aint too shabby at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Nice and all as the 9800pro is the 6600 far out-performs it in every respect

So for €215 this is the best choice at the mo

Note
    Raise the VCore and overclock as opposed to flashing is preferrable for the 6600 and 6800 series'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

go for the 9800pro great cards - i never had a problem with them - great for overclocking easy to flash - what more do you want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Mac daddy wrote:
    go for the 9800pro great cards - i never had a problem with them - great for overclocking easy to flash - what more do you want
    Yep id agree, they overclock great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Still the 6600 o/cs great aswell and is starting form a higher stock speed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

The 9600xt aint near as fast as the pro, Im using a 9600xt now and its a fair bit slower than my pro(softmod to xt)

Decided to go with the Gainward GeForce 6600 256MB DDR 3,6ns AGP, "Ultra/1780 Golden" TV/DVI, Retail but unfortunately have to wait a month until its in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

9800Pro all teh way dude... All though the 6600's are pretty good performers for Price. But i would go for 9800Pro , its top of the range in its generation of cards ( radeon ). I Flashed mine to XT easily, go for powercolour 9800Pro. 90% Of there cards are shipped with a R360 Core which is best out or a 9800Pro and 99% Flashable to XT.

9800PRO ALL THE WAY :)

EDIT : Dont go for that 6600 with 256MB on it , its pointless, that card isnt even fast enough to utilitise the 256MB GDDR on it so it would be in its own little bottleneck. Just go for 9800Pro. You wont be sorry, trust me...

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Thordon

I think the 6600 GT is a better buy atm, its faster than the 9800 pro, especially at higher res and AA/AF settings, but I agree with HungreyJoey that the 6600 with the 256 GDDR is a waste, 6600 is not as fast as a 6600 GT, its probably slower than a 9800 pro too.

Advertisement