Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EirtaKon 2005 - want to help?

Options
  • 26-12-2004 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

Well in fear of CuLT forgetting again, coupled with bordom and wanting to get this started, decieded to post this ;)

One of the main reasons I se up the DCU Anime and Manga Soc was to hold a yearly, pure anime con. Being from the college we got access to the facilities and financial backing of it :) Meeting up with CuLT, who gave it the name EirtaKon!

Anyway Im determined to get the very first one off this summer coming. As such if anyone is interested in helping out if you could mail us at ams@redbrick.dcu.ie with the subject "[EirtaKon] Help" :) As this is the first time we have ever done anything, we have no real idea what we are going to be asking of you - coming up to the event it may be to help out with advertising, may simply be to spread the word. As we get nearer it most likly will involve prepping the rooms, selecting what anime to show etc and on the day possibly an attendednt in a showing room (more or less running the room).

Aiming to get as many anime groups in Ireland involved - hope to talk with the societies in Trinity, UCD(well whatever shows anime there) and Manooth. Finding new ones - CIT, and simply getting them involved somehow ^_^ Planning on holding an AMV compeitiion, best Fan Dub compeitition, Fan Art - anything that people want really!

Going to approach the distributors, ADV-UK ect and see about getting a stand or even a preview or something! Along with them will be convincing several vendors to come along. Since this is going to be open to other socities one thought is that they will be able to set up their own stand with them, this way advertising themselves for the people coming along. If they want to hold some special even, as we hoope they do ;), make it all the better!

More or less going to be booking out several buildings. For those who have been to our nights you most likly have been in the Business school - Q121. Anyway aiming to book this out. Each lecture room has a projector and there are two main rooms. This would allow us to have entire rooms running popular series and movies in others. If the event becomes more popular then anticipated we can also expand out into the 2nd floor etc Smile Also will be taking over the Hub - student center - for access to the venue and bar. The venue would be where all stands would be set, distributors, dealers, societies. And finally T101 - any previews or anything big would go in here, no ideas yet ^_^;

As the name suggest this is a joint con with AMS and Eirtaku so hoping to get a good few members going to it :) With the AMS joined with the Japanese Society here in DCU we have a little over 100 members now. We are hoping to get the majoriy of attendes from colleges/socities. Posters about town and over the web should bring in more though .Currently we are hoping for about 250 people attendng.

So Thoughts? Interest? Ideas?

Hope to hear from you
    John, on a keyboard that is about to be thrown out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Sounds great.
    The thought of T101 filled to capacity with anime heads is a little scary though. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Please choose a different name not related to the eternally stupid moniker of "Otaku".

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Art_Wolf wrote:
    Well in fear of CuLT forgetting again, coupled with bordom and wanting to get this started, decieded to post this ;)

Oops :O

Still a few wires loose upstairs ;)
    After I've emptied this crate of Guinness I'll be on the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Zakalwe wrote:
    Please choose a different name not related to the eternally stupid moniker of "Otaku".

If you want to make suggestions, or put up a poll or such - we have not done any advertising yet so name changing is acceptable if most people think it is needed :)

I personally like the name - Im hoping this will become a main con in Ireland and as such a name that puts people in mind of anime and Ireland goes well ;) Still openminded enough for suggestions though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Otaku screams Japanophile. It brings to mind fat greasy nerds with massive hentai collections who think they can speak Japanese because they've watched Ranma 1/2 a million times. It brings to mind extremely overweight girls in revealing, crappily made cosplay

Nobody who doesn't already watch anime or read manga is going to know what the hell is going on by that name. As of yet, I don't have a better suggestion.

So as not to sound like I'm putting you down, I have to say well done for organising this and that I probably will pop along to pick up a few DVDs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Rosemary

Sounds like a great idea and about time, too. I hadn't thought anything about the name... but I suppose something more obvious might be better. I can only suggest as much advertising and spreading the word as possible, because there's so many people who would go if they just knew it was on.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

The biggest anime con in America is called Otakon...

They don't seem to have any trouble.
    When it's advertised as "EirtaKon - Ireland's first anime and manga convention" on posters with anime characters, I find it hard to believe that the name would confuse people :) .

Yeah a good part of our time in the begining will be over advertising :) Part of the reason for getting as many grups involved is cause they will be able to advertise much more effictivly in their locality then anything we could do.

Will be also seeing if we can rganise something over our residences, no idea how well that will go but being able to provide cheap accomadation should really help people with getting here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

I'm in, I'll gladly help ya's out to get the first Irish Con going.
    EirtaKon, IMO, is a great name. So you guys can count on me, I'll help ya's out with whatever ya need!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'll give a hand sure. i'm sure netsoc and DUCSS in trinity would get a fair few interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Sounds great - can you put down anime.ie as helpers - even though we have yet to launch a site, we'd like to be involved (myself and CaptSolo).

I too would have some reservations about the name - I don't think it's obvious enough - but if it's too late to change, I won't bother suggesting any other ones :)

Ok theres a poll up about the name now - but its going to be short lived as we want to get some advertising at warpcon :) Hopefully we will get an idea of how many are for/against - if peopel dont like it though we need an alternative - the <blank> con does NOT work in this case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

If you wanted to add actual anime there is www.animesuki.com. They do a list of unliscenced anime distributed on bittorrent. As I said UNLICENCED anime. They link to the various fansub groups which take them down once the english versions have been licenced. I'm not sure whether it helps or not but if it doesn't just ignore this post.

Nah its good :) We dont know what anime we will be showing yet - will have several fansubed sereis most likly - thoughts of one room dedicated to certain series is easily possibly wih us - so naruto the whole way from start to finish etc :)

We hope to organise suff with some distributors for movies and try and find a some previews! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

I cant make any commitments yet, as I dont yet know where Ill be or what Ill be doing, but if Im around, Ill help out.

Oh, and make sure your dates dont clash with Ayacon ><

A

Cool :) We will most likly be putting together an irc meeting - since every one is spread about the country - and a dublin meeting in febuary. What are Ayacon's dates? Currenlty we are looking into August, 2nd week or so.. so far havnt seen anything to clash with it!

*googles Ayacon*

3rd week in August..right..hmm tight..

Right we are sticking with the Friday 9th August to Sunday 11th August

Ok some updates!

Still needing people to help us out with this - alot still to be done. Also the dates have changed to the 15th to 17th of July!

Right deiceded to give people an idea of what they will see at EirtaKon :D We will be having 10 anime screens set up, with one dedicated to just Naruto :) There will be themed rooms ( 'old school' ) and special screenings etc - to sum up, LOTS of anime!

We will also have a hall set up that will see Sub City and the Third Place (vendors) set up alongside stands for our associates ( Trinity DUCCS.. ) who will be running a mini event on their stand! In the middle of the hall there will be games run by the DCU's GamesSoc STOCS socities - from MangaManga, BESM to PS2's and GameCubes by projector. Also Giant Robot Melee will be making an appearence!

Being on campus there is a SPAR right there, a canteen around the corner and two College Bars :) Also across the road we have EuroSpar, Chippers - the usual stuff ^_^ also pizza is able to be delivered! And there is also accomadation on campus avaible - Deluxe that is :)

We have also got a brand spanking new radio station so be prepared to listen to ConRadio! The studio will also be the siet for our Anime Fandubbing Compeition - how good are you? ;) This is being hosted by the DCU Media Production Society.
    We will be having an exabition around our Student Center (the bars and hall are inside) showing off Fan Art, anime history, Japanese Bazaar etc!

You will also see AMV competitions, Open category and College category. Cosplay, cosplay competitions, Table Quizes, Charity Raffle - and lots more :) Now I kope I have wetted your appetite for now - more updates soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Nice work lads. I can also help out if ye need, and I'll most likely be around in July aswell (change from August has worked out for me at least :))

• Advertisement

Definitly!
    The more help the better :D

If people could sign up to http://lists.redbrick.dcu.ie/mailman/listinfo/eirtakon-help we will be setting out tasks and what we will be doing etc on the list. updates etc will ofcourse be posted here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Senbotsu

Well I signed onto the list and am ready and willing to get this Con off the ground!

heh, cool :)

The mailing list will start up shortly - an offical confirmation that we will have DCU as a venue should be in the next few days.

Advertisement