Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PC acting as "bluetooth modem"???

• 26-12-2004 7:07pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey I've done a search through the forum for answer to this question and found none, so sorry if this sounds completely retarded.

Is it possible to make a net connection via bluetooth from a phone through a PC. This setup would act exactly like the bluetooth modem option for connecting a laptop to the net through a phones net connection, except in reverse.

badly worded, but does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭ethanf

yes it is possible, but the connection speed will be very slow though,through normal dial up way, it's only 9.6k for speed, and for gprs it only goes as far as 56k. therefore it's gonna cost a lot of money. not too sure about the new 3g service though, should be a lot faster, but i don't know what way they charge though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

ethanf wrote:
    yes it is possible, but the connection speed will be very slow though,through normal dial up way, it's only 9.6k for speed, and for gprs it only goes as far as 56k. therefore it's gonna cost a lot of money. not too sure about the new 3g service though, should be a lot faster, but i don't know what way they charge though

I'd only be looking to use putty from a phone over the connection, so the speed wouldnt be too much of a problem. Do you know of any sites/tutorials/programs that would help me set it up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭ethanf

there's no exact site or programes for tutorials, it depends on which phone and bluetooth card/usb adptor you use for the card though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

dregin wrote:
    Is it possible to make a net connection via bluetooth from a phone through a PC

hi, it depends on the Bluetooth phone you are using, e.g. some Symbian Series 60 (i.e. those supporting the Serial Port Profile) and UIQ based devices connecting via mRouter and MS Smartphones using ActiveSync pass-through can provide an Internet connection via Bluetooth - here's info on using the Nokia 7650

for a more relevant response if you can provide some background info that can help

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I didnt provide any info since I was thinking of changing phone if it was possible to do it with a Nokia 6600. I have an SEz600 atm and can't install putty on it anyway. The Z600 has pretty much the same OS as the T610, so as mentioned in that thread I presume it wont work.

Thanks for your time, that thread is what I was looking for I think :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - won't work on the Z600 no...

6600 is a bit more involved to get set-up, there is some guidance available here with success reported for some software versions... more recent Series 60 devices like the 7610/6630 no longer include a Bluetooth Serial Port so the same approach isn't working for them...

keep in mind that your range isn't going to be amazing, so best think about how practical is really is before shelling out any cash, also as it's not a (vendor) supported connectivity method you may need to invest time and effort trying to get it set-up (with the risk it may not work out)... the allaboutsymbian forums should be a good source of info...

found one vendor who produced a solution to work with their Bluetooth Access Point but that would involve separate kit...

Advertisement