Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'tis the season to be ranting....

• 06-03-2001 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭

The insurance is up on my car again.

[rant]When I say my car it actually belongs to my father, but he owns two cars so he drives one (the good one) while I drive the other (the **** one).

At the moment I'm insured on his policy so to renew that would cost 1,200, roughly twice the value of the car, but in the scheme of things not that bad.

As a 21st birthday present he was planning on transferring ownership to me and paying for the insurance for a year too. I've been insured under him for 4 years with a full license for 3 of those so I should be getting one year's no claims bonus for that. I've never had a caution/(whatever you call them) on my license and never had a claim against me. He was given a quote for 4,000.

That's ****ing riduclous. 2,800 extra for no change in the use of the car. Why on earth would the cost go up so much when essentially you're taking a driver off the policy. The obiovius answer is that he's 57 and I'm 20.

[aside rant]We both have the same bloody licences so as far as the goverment is concerned we are equally qualified to drive. What's the point of getting a license if the insurance companies don't see it the same way?[/aside rant]

To highlight how ridiculos it is, if he waits a month for me to actually turn 21, he get's a quote of 3,000. They want 1,000 ****ing pounds to insure me for a month! Twice the value of the car to insure me for a month. Per week, they want 10 times what I spend on petrol a week to insure me for the year.

B4$TERDS!

[/rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Wait until the Euro comes in (next Jan) then you can get a quote from any other EU insurance company apart from the Brits of course.

It's likely that such a quote from a french or German insurers would be quite a bit less than what you're getting from the ripoff merchants round here.

Of course they have no need to justify their prices, it's greed, pure & simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

try
    www.quinn-direct.com
    or
    www.pmpa.ie

both give quotes online

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

As luck would have it, I'm working on a web site for One Direct, but forget them as they wouldn't pi$$ on you if you were on fire unless you're over 25...

Which leads me to this...
    An Post owns One Direct
    The Government owns An Post
    The Government is discriminating against it's nation's youth!

I really shouldn't be saying bad things about my (indirect) employers, but fluff that.

Anyway, Castor - I thought you had to have an address in a country before availing of insurance from a company based there? Or is that the way it currently works?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Right there is a couple of thing in play hear when you were insured under you dad

you were not the main driver

your dad prob have 50% NCD

Thats two things that when you go out on your own you get caughts with. Also most underwriter like to charge you extra if your a young driver on a old car (old being 4 years or over). Also if your car is very old you get another loading on top of that. then you add in your age and you need to rob a bank for insurance. Where do you live(I know west cork but how far out from the city boy)? and what company are you with? Quinn are about the best for young drivers but if you go to a Church and Genral Brooker they can be ok too.

kayos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

My best friend races single seaters for a living has been in two crashs to-date (one was his fault smile.gif ) and is insured for 3000.

apparently there was an article in the times about three weeks ago about a lad in cork who after 4 years driving similar to yourself was quoted 4,800 and took the insurance company to court over discrimination.. have yet to find out the results of it.

As for myself I'll stick with my car being under my mums name till Im working full time and finished bumming around college so I can afford the thing smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't live in west Cork confused.gif I live just to the east of the city. smile.gif

If a company is licensed to offer insurance in any EU country they can offer insurance in all EU countries. It came into law about 18 months ago. Afaik this includes England (not quite as bad for rip off merchants as Ireland)

In reality it's hard to get insurance from a foreign company. Apart from the language barrier it's hard to get past the low-level gimp who doesn't know anything and will just say "We are not doing this".

I also found out today that the quote when I turn 21 is 2,200 so they want 1,800 to insure me for a month! eek.gifrolleyes.gifeek.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blitzkrieger:
    Afaik this includes England (not quite as bad for rip off merchants as Ireland)
    </font>

You could say that - a friend of mine drives an Alfa Romeo with a 2 litre engine in London. He's 30, no crashes etc. and pays 500 sterling a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

The insurance costs are flippin rediculous, am with quinn direct, the first quote i got from them 2 years ago was 1500 for tpf&t two years later its now just over 1700 and ive had no claims. have been driving for almost 8 years now and am paying through the back teeth for basic cover. if the market does open next year i cant wait, would be great to get a quote thats in three figures for a change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Well Blitz since your near the city the rates are higher for a start. Second on your age there are normally age groupings eg 17-18 ,19-21 21+ sort of thing which would effect your rates. Is you birthday before or after the renewal of your insurance?? If its before they should give you the quote taking you to be 21 as thats what age you will be when you go on cover.

As for being able to buy insurance from forgien companies while it might be possible very few companies will do this. Insurance is a very close nit market with only a handful of Underwriters look at what happend PMPA/Guardian they both got bought out by AxA and do you honestly thing AxA uk will take business off AxA Ireland???? Some companies might rate cases in forgien countries but they will change there rates to just under cut prices here not slash them. Well thats my pennys worth...

kayos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Spent a long morning on the phone looking for quotes. Some companies didn't want me bacause of my age (including a company whoose ad specifically said 'cater to young drivers) and some because of my ocupation (student). If that isn't discrimination I don't know what is.

I eventually got a quote from Quinn-Direct for 1,700 which is quite a step down from the original 4,000 and is almost a sane price.

My favorite company was Premier Direct who wouldn't quote anyone under 25. "Although we look forward to insuring you in the future....."

You ****ing won't tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

It can't be good business to drive away custom like that smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    You ****ing won't

It can't be good business to drive away custom like that
    </font>

Hmm, very good point smile.gif Looks like i'll only be doing
    business with Norwich Union so...(bike driver)

http://myhome.iolfree.ie/~mijag/facts.html is an interesting read

[This message has been edited by dogs (edited 08-03-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

tra la la la laaaaa, la la la laaaaaaaaa.

Insurance sux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I moved with my folks to the countryside a few months back, and life is impossible without a car, but if I were to get a car (easily done) there is no way at all me or my dad could keep up the insurance payments, I can't even afford to get insured on his car. It's crazy. We even looked into getting a bike, but the insurance prices were still sky high there too. Grrr.

You guys should really appreciate Dublin Bus while you've got it - man, I would give anything for a public bus service where I live. Roll on June and my grand departure from this black place. biggrin.gif

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement