Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is iol bb down??

• 26-12-2004 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

my iol broadband just stopped working a few minutes ago. i have weird problems with my netgear router from time to time so i'm not sure whether the problem is with that or whether it is a general iol broadband issue.
    iol broadband tech support are closed until 29th, so can someone confirm to me that iol broadband is working fine so that i can eliminate that and then try to figure out what the hell is up with the router?
    thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

working in clondalkin. u need to do the tests as in the book they gave u with the modem. specifiaccly the loop back test. if it fails this and passes the other 2 tests then it is definately iol.
    try resetting the modem, by plugging everything out all phones etc and pulling plug of the modem and wait 15min. try again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

hi lomb,

thanks for replying. i did not get any book with my modem detailing such tests - i just have an installation sheet?

also, i no longer use the modem iol supplied - i now have a netgear dg834g wireless adsl router instead, so that i can share the connection with laptops in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

IOL bb fine for me too, no connection drops all day. Try their modem and see if you can connect. I have the same Netgear router as yours, you can try diagnostics on the router, if you are having connection problems regularly try updating the router, i think it is version 1.05 or something like that. Since I have updated no problems so far.

thanks for the reply halkar,
    i'm worried now!
    i know very little about routers and such... i have found on occasions that the router just stops working, but if i go into the admin at http://192.168.0.1 and go into basic settings and click test, it normally gets it working again.

i have tried that lots and it won't work. i have turned my pc off and unplugged the router and turned everything on again and it still won't work. it just all stopped working when i was in the middle of a surfing session. my router shows all green lights but if i go into diagnostics, i can't ping places.

also when i go in and view the settings it says that:
    Connection time 00:00:00
    Connecting to server Disconnect
    Negotiation Initialize LCP.
    even when i try pressing connect, it still says the status is disconnected.

i have tried updating the firmware to 1.05 and it did not make any difference :(

i have also tried reverting to the little blue zyxel 630 modem that came with my broadband but i can't even get that to work :( i don't know whether that's because of conflicts with the netgear router but all i get is that the connection status stays at "acquiring ip address". when i try to repair the connection that does not work and it says it may not be a problem with my pc...

have you any other advice??

many thanks,
    fizzy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kegser

I think there's problems with IOLBB... since I can't connect either.... what a surprise.

• Advertisement

kegser,
    thanks so much for replying - i'm sorry to hear your broadband ain't working but thanks for posting cos you have given me a glimmer of hope - i've been sitting here tearing my hair out trying to learn about routers and stuff!
    could you possibly let me know when it's back working for you at some stage???

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

fizzy wrote:
    kegser,
    thanks so much for replying - i'm sorry to hear your broadband ain't working but thanks for posting cos you have given me a glimmer of hope - i've been sitting here tearing my hair out trying to learn about routers and stuff!
    could you possibly let me know when it's back working for you at some stage???

I think it is usally better when there is a disconnection to avoid messing with a router's settings until you are absolutely sure that the problem is at your end.

If the router has been working fine it is the exception rather than the rule for it to be the router's fault.

You can check in the routers set up whether it is detecting a dsl signal in fact the lights on front of the router will tell you that.
    i have also tried reverting to the little blue zyxel 630 modem that came with my broadband but i can't even get that to work i don't know whether that's because of conflicts with the netgear router but all i get is that the connection status stays at "acquiring ip address". when i try to repair the connection that does not work and it says it may not be a problem with my pc...

Have you not disconnected the router when using the modem? there should not be any conflicts as the modem should work perfectly well as long as the router has been disconnected.

my net connection is back working again so it must have been an iol issue? i hope yours is working too kegser!

thanks for all the help guys. i've been lucky in that this is only the 2nd iol failure i've had since getting broadband well over a year ago. when i've had issues, it has normally been with the router unfortunately so that was why i went tinkering when i heard a few reports that iol bb was ok. not a wise thing to do when you know as little as i do!!! and the lights on the front always indicated a dsl signal was connected dub45, which seemed like a bad sign to me, but the main thing is it's all working again now and it will stay like that fingers crossed :)

thanks again,
    fizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

hi, download the installation manual from zyxels website and in it it will tell u how to do tests just so u know for future. glad its working now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jeanyMac

Hi guys, I'm in santry and have been unable to get the green 'dsl' light to turn on last night and all today. I have not changed any settings or anything, is this therefore an issue at the IOLBB end?

Anyone else in that area have any problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

Fizzy - what Netgear router do you have? I have the Netgear DG834G and I'm with IOLBB. My connection has dropped a few times over the past 4 months or so and each time I unplug the router then plug it back in and the connection usually returns.

Once I had to call IOL Tech. Support - they said all was fine so I tried their Zyxel modem and the connection worked... so I'm convinced my Netgear router is the problem. I'm hoping to get it replaced in the next week or two.

- Neil

hi neil,

i have the same router as you. i purchased it in july and for the first couple of months, the broadband would stop working every so often. on ringing iol bb the first time this happened, like you, i was told iol bb was working fine. eventually, i found that if i went in to the router admin page and tested the basic settings (as detailed in my post above), the connection would come back.

this was far from ideal!! i'm no expert at this sort of stuff but it was certainly worse explaining to my mum what to do if the internet stopped working for her. she was nearly making me get rid of the router altogether. i investigated on boards and google and (even though i can't find the urls for you now grrr!) i found that this was a general issue with the netgear router (not just with router and iol bb).

luckily, just as the router was on its last chance, it started co-operating and this connection dropping has not happened since the end of september... no idea why cos until this latest problem (due to iol bb itself failing) i had not done any router upgrades etc...

but anyway, neil, after all that waffle, i definitely remember discovering that this was a general problem with the netgear router so if it is bothering you i would definitely get another one. good luck!

theothernt wrote:
    Hi,

Fizzy - what Netgear router do you have? I have the Netgear DG834G and I'm with IOLBB. My connection has dropped a few times over the past 4 months or so and each time I unplug the router then plug it back in and the connection usually returns.

Once I had to call IOL Tech. Support - they said all was fine so I tried their Zyxel modem and the connection worked... so I'm convinced my Netgear router is the problem. I'm hoping to get it replaced in the next week or two.

- Neil

Have you tried updating the firmware? It is very easy to do - worth a try before spending money on a new router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

iv been having problems today with IOLBB. it says it cant locate the url and if i switch the zyxel modem off and then on again it works for a bit and then i repeat it wen it stops working. anyone any ideas?

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

dub45 - Thanks for the suggestion. I would actually consider myself an expert user so I've tried every version of the firmware. My DG834G (hardware v2) came with v1.04 so I've tried v1.03 and v1.05. I've also tried, over a period of weeks, every single setting both enabled and disabled - MTU, Firewall, etc. v1.06 is due out in Jan/Feb hopefully.

My main issue with the modem/router is that it resets the DSL connection (it doesn't reboot though) every 24 hours - to the second. So if I plug in the router at 5pm, it will reset at 5pm tomorrow. Also, when the connection resets I *do not* get a new IP. The modem supplied by IOL can hold the connection for days at a time. I've even used a Netgear MR814 (wireless router) with the Zxytel modem and it can hold a connection for days, also. Oh, the mode/router itself will usually jam/crash after 200hrs anyway.

The only temp solution I've found is to set the "idle timeout" to 30 mins. That way, when all the PCs are off at night, the router will disconnect while I'm asleep thus resetting the 24hr timer it seems to have.

So basically, the modem/router has lots of issues (DNS and DHCP related it seems) and Netgear will send me out a replacement. I'll just never buy Netgear again or recommend it. All their newer equipment uses very immature bug-ridden firmware (before the DG834G I had a WGT624 for 1 week - it was awful, dropped connection randomly - all the time!). In case you wanted to know - they use custom BusyBox distro yet they manage to break it so badly. Although, BusyBox reached v1.00 recently so there's hope Netgear, who use 0.61, will get their act together.

fizzy - I'm going to get a replacement soon, I'll let you know what happens.

Trying to have a Happy New Year, :)

- Neil

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have used the 834g and did not have any problems at all with it. I guess I was lucky!

Hi,

No problem :) It does seem to be a lucky dip when it comes to recent Netgear equipment.

Statistically speaking, I should get a working unit eventually... shouldn't I? ;)

- Neil

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Folks - IOLBB down for me since 1.1.2005 evening time and still down this morning at 08:00 onwards. Reset/unplugged router (Zyxel Prestige 623R). Is anyone else having problems. DU connections are awful slow once you get used to BB

hi jolly,

sorry to hear you're having problems.
    my connection is fine (in blanch) since 27th dec but i think these things depend on the area you are in - are iol bb tech support in today? may be best off ringing them if they are...

Advertisement