Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stab City?

Options
  • 26-12-2004 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Why does every1 seem to ****in' diss Limerick? I was down there like and everyone was ****in grand... no stabbins' ,,,nothin... :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

it sells papers basically,

btw you might want to take a look at the newbie/FAQ forum with regard to the signiture image regulations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Droogie

What? What? What?

What ****in signature regulations? How do i see these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Limerick is a cool city and i see more hassle any time im in Galway or Dublin and more again in any english city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Limericks a pretty dead city in my opinion... very bland..

• Advertisement

Shrimp wrote:

would you care to elaborate on that. oh and what does that have to do with the topic of the thread. (24 hours to convince me that your not trolling)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

In the last 2 years it has got loads better Its been ages since ive heard anybody say stab city so your not helping people by making this post...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,550 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Shrimp wrote:
    Bold statement, but not entirely wrong. Once or twice, ive been waiting for the bus to casteltroy and looked around, see the williamscourt shopping mall (now under renovation) rotting, see what could be described as a large proportion of 'not exactly the classiest of' people walking around, and think that the city has nothing going for it.

But im from north cork and going to UL, and from living here for almost 3 years, i can easily say it doesnt deserve the horrible reputation its got. Ive seen much more crime and street violence in my home town of mitchelstown than i have in limerick, be it inner city or castletroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

Bold statement, but not entirely wrong. Once or twice, ive been waiting for the bus to casteltroy and looked around, see the williamscourt shopping mall (now under renovation) rotting, see what could be described as a large proportion of 'not exactly the classiest of' people walking around, and think that the city has nothing going for it.

But im from north cork and going to UL, and from living here for almost 3 years, i can easily say it doesnt deserve the horrible reputation its got. Ive seen much more crime and street violence in my home town of mitchelstown than i have in limerick, be it inner city or castletroy.
    William street is not exactly the greatest place to talk about what's happening in the city. Those people you describe flock to that street for some reason, I think its because they live in the chipper or the sports shops. Check out Cruise's street and all that end of the city.

For the record I've been here a year and a half and I haven't been stabbed even once.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭spoon

2 weeks ago my friend found someone on the side of the street stabbed four times with a screw driver.
    about 4 years ago a best friend of mine got stabbed with a stanley knife.
    i cant help but feel unsafe around limerick when im on my own. there is next to no police around the city itself, if you need one in a hurry youll only find them on henry street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I'd have to agree with shrimp here in some regards, Limerick doesn't seem to have the same energy as Galway or Cork or Dublin. That being said, Limerick has come a long way in the last 2/3 years, and I think a concentrated effort is being put on changing Limerick for the better.

[Been in Limerick 20 odd years, never been stabbed, assaulted etc in anyway]

http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6058&category=Daily-Thu

there are great things in the pipeline for Limerick. just you wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭1huge1

limerick city is on the up and its about time
    look at the size of atlantic homecare

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I agree Limerick is on the up. cool.gif

All we need now is a proper ring road around the city, not a tunnel with a tole booth. rolleyes.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

There is alot happening for Limerick at the moment. Plenty of commercial development taking place and lots of new good quality housing. Now if only we could get rid of the knackers!

pdf document 7 megs

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/services/planning/devplan2004/DevelopmentPlan2004.pdf

for anyone interested in reading whats in store for the next couple of years for limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Limerick has one or two things going for it. THe Castle is impressive, as is the Shannon. Henry street is also a nice place. apart from that however, it's very ugly and very rough. Irish cities are generally piss poor in terms of architecture, thanks to bad planning and in belfasts case, thanks to the luftwaffe.

most cities are harbingers of crime, but Limerick tends to have more scangers per sq. km. than any place in ireland!

I know there are nice people there too....

Limerick is the worst of a bad lot, even there promo ad a few years back had a certyain air of defeat about it.... "Limerick, it's better than most places" I ask ya!

landser have a look at the pdf file above and let me know what you think.

all i can say for now is "work in progress"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Billy, the future does look better, no doubt about it. but, along with most irish cities, we've a long way to go, and limerick, for whatever reason, has further to go than most. it's a pity, cos the county and some of the towns in the county are some of the best this country has to offer. maybe you could relocate your scangers to madagascar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

ya we could relocate all our scangers or whatever you call em
    and b better then every other county and not the worst...or NOT!!
    i live in limerick all my life and i will live hear for the rest of it no matter
    what people say I LOVE MY COUNTY UP OR DOWN.
    i know hundreds of people who have been stabbed shot sh!T like that
    in jail whatever but any1 who says limerick is worse the dublin - cork - galway
    come on your well off the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

tbh, Billy, its more like a manifesto/statement of promises than a firm "we will do this come hell or high water" document.

Its like the NDP, lots of promises, **** all product. I hope there is the political will to do it for your city, it needs it. They can draft up a document like that, now is the hard work and see if they can stick within budget etc.

with regard to keeping such a plan in budget, DMC, I believe that there are certain moves underway to reform the way projects end up costing three or four times the amount they were originally tendered for.

Other than that whether or not this plan is a success remains to be seen. if it is not successful, it wouldnt be the first time that limerick city council to screw something up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Orla1

I just wanna say that while I don't live in the city, I'v lived near enough to it all my life to honnestly say that while there is a good bit of crime in the city it's the same as any other city or large town!! I've seen worse down in Killarney or someplace like that than in Limerick. AND if people seem to be getting attacked or anything it's usually because they go looking for trouble!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Orla1 wrote:
    AND if people seem to be getting attacked or anything it's usually because they go looking for trouble!!

That's not true, there are loads of cases of unprovoked assaults, not just in Limerick obviously but all over the country, the kind of way you can be set upon just by, God forbid, making eye-contact with the wrong person in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

The one real problem with Limerick is the media.
    A friend of mine is a Garda in Limerick, but is originaly from Dublin.
    He told me that the Gardai in general, know that Limerick is no worse than any other Irish city, is all doown to the medias Limerick bashing.
    Last year there was an average of a killing a week in Dublin for the first two weeks of the year, while in Limerick there was none!
    I was in Dublin a couple of months ago, last November, or December, and while I was there, just over night I may add, two people were stabbed!
    On the RTE news, i heard that there had been two fatalaties, due to knife attacks!
    Not stabings, knife attacks!
    KNIFE ATTACKS!!!
    It's all down to the media!
    In saying that though, the local media is as bad, front page news a few weeks ago, was about two 14 year olds, robbing a couple of strawberry yops from a shop!
    We've even started to over dramatise ourselves!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

I am surprised at the amount of people who have been / live in limerck and notice the crime and ugliness of the city.
    Its just that usually i'll go onto a chat room or a board and people bash me cause i'm from limerick.
    But when it gets round to it anyone attacking me about the city usually has never been. I just usually say well if you come here then i will listen to your complaints!

I wouldnt worry too much about people bashing the city, they are not the ones that have only visited the likes of the city centre and the ones who hear nothing but negativity from the city.

The city was let go to the dogs back in the eighties and now there is work being done to rectify this. alot has been done but theres more to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I'm down in college in Limerick and tbh wont go out in the city.

Last semester, a good friend of mine was waiting for the bus back to UL in town and got threatned with a 'knife in the head' if he didn't hand over his phone.

i mean wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine in Galway recently so it is not a "Limerick" thing, it is sums up the mentality of the typical Irish scumbag!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

Comparing murder numbers between Dublin and Limerick is ridiculous because of the disproportionate populations. There are/were more murders there in per capita terms than anywhere else for a while. But it was people killing in a circle ("i'll kill u coz u killed him" and on and on and on). I think things have changed a little now though.
    Limerick is a lovely looking city when looking upon it from the Dock Rd. area espeicially.
    There are a few rough spots and maybe no-go areas but where isn't there really.

Stab City - not one of Ted Crilly's most tasteful jokes (RIP - D. Morgan, I still think you're a legend)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement