Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ruger .22

Options
  • 26-12-2004 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

want to buy a ruger semi auto .22
    are they a good gun,are they accurate,are they prone to jaming and do they come with threaded for a sound moderator.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Out of the box, I never found them particularly accurate, though the addition of an aftermarket barrel changes this. They're also cursed from the factory with a truly horrible trigger which needs work/replacement parts. I've never found them prone to jamming, but like all .22lr semis need to be cleaned regularly because of the amount of gunk that builds up in firing.

Rugers imported directly from the USA (as most are in Ireland) won't have a threaded barrel, if you get one that has come in through the UK it probably will be factory threaded though.

I shoot a very nice Ruger based rifle - I say "Ruger based" because the receiver/bolt assembly is the only original part left, most of the rest are aftermarket, and together cost a lot more than the rifle did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Is it true they are not suited to sub-sonic ammo and instead prefer to eat high velocity .22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I presume it's the 10/22 you're thinking about?
    237L.gif

Ruger themselves do 15 versions-
    http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdResults?function=famid&famid=39

.......and there is a vast and dedicated user base out there.

A Google for 'ruger' and '10/22' gives 59,400 hits in English, which should keep you amused for a whilebanana.gif
    RimfireCentral.com has a sub-group of forums specifically for the 10/22-
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

I’ve never used one myself, but I’d put a lot of weight on what civdef says above.
    There’s a HUGE aftermarket for these things though, so fixing/modifying isn’t a big deal if you want to go down that road.

www.rimfirecentral.com is a great site and the place to go for info on this stuff allright.

I've never had problems with eley,cci,winchester or rws subsonics in the 10/22.

Here's an interesting thread from The Firing Line-
    http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157600

Marlins seem to get the nod, if you just want a decent .22 auto out of the box.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Just wondering ..?

How tricky would getting a replacement barrel be ..?
    Would you fall foul of firearm parts import ..

actually , at what point is what you are attempting to import a
    legally restricted part and what's generally ok..?

I imagine replacement stocks are just inert pieces of plastic or wood as far
    as the import / export rules go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

How tricky would
    getting a replacement barrel be ..?Would you fall foul of firearm parts import ..

Again this is another,if,but,maybe,vauge depends on who you ask field of things.I have seen replacement barrels for the 10/22 openly for sale here.more than likely if you are liscensed to posses the gun,it should be no problem,maybe to be on the safe side get the reciver no stamped on the barrel..

actually , at what point is what you are attempting to import a
    legally restricted part and what's generally ok..?

I suppose the reciver ,as that is the key part of any gun and it is usualy the only one part stamped as well. all the rest of it is useless without the reciver.I do know that the liscense permits you to posses"components" of the firearm as well.

I imagine replacement stocks are just inert pieces of plastic or wood as far
    as the import / export rules go.[/QUOTE

No problem with them at all.Have imported them myself from the US.
    Ditto for hicap mags and ALL components bar the RECIVER of the gun.
    Europe
    you need a liscense for;
    Barrells,sub caliber conversion units,reciver,bolt and /or bolt carrier.

Thinking about the Ruger pistol and the original post.The ruger can be mounted with a suppressor.However your next problem is the sights.you removed the front sight for the threading.
    Now you have to make a new front sight on the suppressor,mount a pistol scope on the gun to compensate for no sights,or build a custom high sightor get a coupling made up that will fit over the fnt site and thread into the suppressor,or go and get the preferred integral barrel suppressor built.Expensive custom work usually by suppressor companies in the US,who will NOT sell a class3 item outside the USA.

Yes the ruger will work on subsonic ammo with a suppressor.However it usually is only expected to fire single shot,with you cranking the slide to eject,and reload.Put it like this;it is /was one of the most favourd guns for "hits" by the pros who work in the shadows.It was used in Vietnam by US Navy SEALS for sentry disposal, and is still in the inventory ,so it works all right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/

I'd be inclined to buy one like these that's already been tuned up especially the Carbon Fibre barreled one!

DSCN0298.JPG

Yes the ruger will work on subsonic ammo with a suppressor.However it usually is only expected to fire single shot,with you cranking the slide to eject,and reload.

In my experience it'll fire subsonics in semi-auto mode all day long.

Musashi, that's pretty much exactly the setup I have, and I'd recommend the carbon fibre barrel highly - very accurate and light to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Proud Ruger owner.
    Great fun fun gun. Accuracy, well you gotta rememer it is a semi auto and theres a lot of movement...if you want all your rounds through the same hole...stick to a bolt action! Lots of aftermarket bits...folding stocks, high capacity mags etc.
    Rimfire central is a great site..lots of usefull info.

• Advertisement

I had a bolt action Ruger in .22 Hornet and could not fault the accuracy or finish on it.The only niggle I had was the safety which swiveled rear to front on the rear of the bolt.It wasn't that big a deal and never interfered when out hunting.
    The barrel profile was light with no open sights so some quality optics are in order.The underside of the stock is very flat and makes it very stable for benchrest zeroing and casual target shooting.
    These days between wife,child,work and all the other stuff I don't get to go hunting deer much at all, so am considering getting rid of my Steyr .270 and getting a fully tricked out Ruger ,possibly using a Holo sight rather than a traditional optical.I'd like to just hop in the car and head out for a shot at bunnies rather than trying to commit to an entire day of driving to the lettings I have taken in Kerry.
    Civdef, do you find the carbon barrel is too light for balance of the rifle when shooting standing? Am looking at a Carbon or a "snake" barrel using either the Hogue rubber overmoulded stock or the Barracuda stock! I'd love to have loads of money and get both! :D
    I like the .22 Rimfire for cheap and fun shooting.When I started moving up in calibre,I also shot a lot less.It wasn't just the cost of ammunition,but it has to factor into things.
    Overall, I'd be happy with a stock Ruger like the 10/22 T but would prefer one of these semi-custom built guns.
    Here's a review of the accuracy of a few variants.

http://www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/1022/10_22_targets.html

In my experience it'll fire subsonics in semi-auto mode all day long.

Civ,
    are we talking about the Ruger 10/22 rifle or the ruger pistol???
    The pistol is a totally different story.The rifle will ,as you say work all day in subsonic.

Civ,
    are we talking about the Ruger 10/22 rifle or the ruger pistol???
    Far be it from me to answer for civdef, but I'm pretty sure he's talking about the 10/22 rifle.

I know I was.
    Hmmmmm………………………… perhaps I was being a bit presumptuous?2x25kf.gif

Looking at the original post though, it is a bit ambiguous.
    I guess we’ll have to wait for dave1 to show up again, and let him clarify the situation.

Now, if 2 of you guys with 10/22s were to get together-
    http://www.gatlingguns.com/

Check out the '10/22 Kits' link on the left!!! :eek:

how about the "quad" kit on the same site????
    Only thing I have seen with more FP in a 22 was four of the old american 180s[the 22 with the 180 rnd top mounted drum ala a Lewis machine gun],that had been rigged for full auto.It was supposed to be an embassy defence weapon.never took off tho.

Check out www.advanced-armament.com
    Especially their "cloak"model for the 22 ruger rifle and the "phoenix" model for the 22 ruger pistol :D
    Ultimate covert work with corrosponding prices :eek:

[IMG][/img]http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/newimages/DSCN0330.JPG

This is a version of a fully integral silencer on a 10/22 available in the UK :D
    Tell the Super it's foe vermin so you don't spook them or the horses in the next field.A classy solution with no ugly exposed thread or a thread protector to get lost!

Flippin' heck!

There’s all sorts of mad stuff out there when you go looking, isn’t there?

I applied just before Christmas for a licence for a suppressed .243, so we’ll see how that goes before I start looking for ‘covert operations’ stuff
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Lots of stuff there that looks like fun to try, but what do you guys normally shoot at in the way of paper targets with those things (for those of us who wouldn't mind trying that, but who're too squeamish to hunt anything)?

And why was only the 10/22 being considered? Anyone tried Walther's G22?

G22_scope.jpg

Or, for the really off-the-wall design, that new belt-fed fully-automatic .22lr-chambered AR-15 clone? :D :eek:

22bfup9.jpg

22bfup14.jpg

(For today's modern business executive who wants to shoot a 60-shot match, but can't find the time, perhaps?)

Sparks wrote:
    Lots of stuff there that looks like fun to try, but what do you guys normally shoot at in the way of paper targets with those things (for those of us who wouldn't mind trying that, but who're too squeamish to hunt anything)?
    Here’s Sierra’s rifle competition page-
    http://www.sierrabullets.com/competition/riflecompetitions.cfm
    More here-
    http://www.long-range.com/
    Take a look at ‘F Class’ and ‘Modern Palma’.
    Modern Palma is probably the closest full-bore discipline to the Olympic smallbore you guys do.

And here’s just the job to do it, a Sauer S 205 Supertarget, available in 6.5x55, 7.5x55, .308 Win., .223 Rem., and 6 mm Norma BR-
    5bb772e958.jpg

Or, the more conventional looking Sauer S 200 TR-
    448fe2cb2f.jpg
    Anyone tried Walther's G22?
    Oh, that’s sweet!
    Beretta does a carbine kit for the U22 Neos which is kinda tempting-
    [URL] http://www.berettaweb.com/armi/Beretta mod U22NEOS (1).htm[/URL]
    I can see one of these in my future, Firearms Act (revised 2005) permitting.
    Or, for the really off-the-wall design, that new belt-fed fully-automatic .22lr-chambered AR-15 clone? :D :eek:
    Ah, Lakeside Guns..........................
    <wipes sentimental tear from eye>
    the home of .22lr madness :D
    http://www.lakesideguns.com/

• Advertisement

I'll have the beltfed AR15 pleezeee!!!
    Beer and coke cans are my general targets.fill them with water and place out in a weed filled field at various ranges,and hunt them.A hit and they explode ,a miss they dont.Simple

ROVI
    whats the suppressed 243 you applied for?Trying for a Steyr SSG in 243 myself.

Beer and coke cans are my general targets.fill them with water and place out in a weed filled field at various ranges,and hunt them.A hit and they explode ,a miss they dont.Simple
    Gotta love tin cans!
    We often stand a wooden pallet on its long edge and rack up a load of orange painted clay pigeons. We then frighten them from out to 200 yards or so with .22lr, 300 with .22 Hornet, and from there to as far away as we can get with bigger stuff. When we get tired of that or run out of ammo, they get blasted with the shotguns!
    A clay pigeon is pretty small at these ranges!!!

I find that after a few hours at the range trying to put all the bullets through the one hole, I’m ready to shoot stuff that reacts! At the Midland Rifle Club range, this usually involves spending the last hour or so of the day shooting at the steel silhouettes.
    Over in the States, I’ve fired at steel gongs, so I plan to put some of these on my own range.
    Ring the bell at a half mile!! Good fun :)

whats the suppressed 243 you applied for?
    I’m looking to get a second hand CZ 550-
    CZ_550_LUX.jpg
    No open sights, and there's a suppressor available with it.
    So I mentioned it to the Guard when I was making the application. She turned her eyes to heaven and said that we'd see how the Super reacted :)

I gave her even more amusement when I told her I also wanted to apply for a Sako Varmint in .22lr-
    rifle_varmint.jpg
    This one’s for informal benchrest paper punching, and long range bunny frightening.
    These would make a total of 4 rifles in the safe (plus various shotguns), so I think I can expect a visit from the Crime Prevention Officer in due course. :D
    Trying for a Steyr SSG in 243 myself.
    The SSG 04 isn’t shown as available in .243, so I presume it’s the SSG 69 you’re talking about?
    Are you going for the green ‘Sport’ version-
    75aca56fab.jpg

or the black ‘Police’ version?-
    572b8a0041.jpg

SSG 69 police model,which has been converted to a SSG69 K[Kurz short].Heafty enough to lug around for deer,but i have my own concept as how this will be modified further.
    Jan1st is launch day for the handgun application,the SSG application and the MAK90 application.This will be intresting as to what happens. :cool:

Jan1st is launch day for the handgun application,the SSG application and the MAK90 application.This will be intresting as to what happens. :cool:
    Looks like all the Crime Prevention Officers in Ireland will be going to your house then! :D

Excellent, they won't have time to come to mine :D:D:D

MAK90 application.

What are you putting down as the reason for having that? :)

Practical rifle disipline,,second deer rifle.I rckon it will be a toss between the SSG or the MAK as to which is granted.Failing that i will settle for the Glock and a 22lic for an AR15 22 rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

Practical rifle disipline,,second deer rifle.I rckon it will be a toss between the SSG or the MAK as to which is granted.Failing that i will settle for the Glock and a 22lic for an AR15 22 rifle.

I wonder if the Gardai will refuse licenses based on looks? They might not want to appear to be allowing licenses for identifiable military type weapons. The MAK90 looks "evil" being that it's basically an AK47. The AR15 .22 will be called an M16 by those who know nothing. Then again they could always label your SSG a "sniper" rifle

They have similar things in the US where you can't get various guns because they've been percieved by people who know nothing of firearms as being evil death machines capable of mowing through schools, whilst other more powerful but less "evil" looking rifles are easily purchased. Semi auto AK47 lookalike? No way! M1 Garand in 30-06? No problem!

We often stand a wooden pallet on its long edge and rack up a load of orange painted clay pigeons. We then frighten them from out to 200 yards or so with .22lr, 300 with .22 Hornet, and from there to as far away as we can get with bigger stuff.

You should try some of those orange golf balls they use on driving ranges!!

I'll have one as well!
    Think the Super would accept "for when the Zombies attack" as a valid reason??
    No really, I'd love one of those! :D

I wonder if the Gardai will refuse licenses based on looks?

Has happened,even with 22 lookalikes.But is very challengable as there is NO GROUNDS in the firearms acts for it to be law.Just Supers over exceeding their authority.

They might not want to appear to be allowing licenses for identifiable military type weapons. The MAK90 looks "evil" being that it's basically an AK47.

Nope ,I have a MAK90 sporter this is a "California legal"weapon.IE it doesnt have any evil features,like folding stocks[ has a thumbhole,and the reciver is modified not to be able to accept any other type of stock],flash hider,muzzle brake,bayonet lug, has a 5 round clip, doesnt even have the facility for holding the cleaning rod or back trapdoor for the cleaning kit.About the only thing it has in common with an"AK" is that it uses the same action albiet in semi auto.If you put the two weapons together they look as different as a blunderbuss does to a trap shotgun.
    Compare the Saiga range of Russian hunting rifles to an AK,same company same action,looks totally different.
    BTW their shotguns which look like an AK on steriods are freely available here.Yet they DO look like an assault weapon.
    One of the most important features of an "assault rifle" is select fire capability.If it does not have that you have a semi autmatic rifle.We really must make any of those definations clear to anyone we talk to.

The AR15 .22 will be called an M16 by those who know nothing. Then again they could always label your SSG a "sniper" rifle

As you said by those who know nothing.But you can educate them.How many times have you heard the AR15,M16,AR18 and AR180 lumped together under the term Armalite here? it is like calling all 4wd vechicles, Jeeps.Suttle differences,that can matter alot.Esp if you are presenting evidence.
    True the SSG is a "sniper"rifle[scharf schutzen gewehr].But then so is the Remington 700 and the Winchester model 70,the Accuracy international,Mauser,Blaser,Parker Hale.All are available here,why pick on the Steyr? All of the above make target as well as police/sniper models.

They have similar things in the US where you can't get various guns because they've been percieved by people who know nothing of firearms as being evil death machines capable of mowing through schools, whilst other more powerful but less "evil" looking rifles are easily purchased. Semi auto AK47 lookalike? No way! M1 Garand in 30-06? No problem

That was the Crime control bill of 1994 ,courtsey of mr Klintoon and various other antigun muppetts.That is fortunely since Oct 2004 history.Unless of course you live in such places like the red coast[eastern states] or the left coast[california]or Hawaii of the USA.Funnily enough those places claim to be "liberal" yet are more restrictive in things than Ireland,and not just in gun law.

Nowadays if you see things for sale in the US,it will be divided into ;

Pre ban[pre 1994 gun er crime control bill, all "evil "features included Hi cap mags unstamped and relatively cheap]

Post ban[post 1994 to oct 2004,all nasty features removed Mags resticed to ten shot,over ten shot restricted to LEO,and hideously expensive]

No ban[post oct 1994,all evil features back,mags available in ten shot or over and back to reasonable pricing]

Ok if they dont like the MAK,i'll gladly settle for a 3006 Garand as well
    or a M1a Springfield "target rifle".

A lot of this comes to word smithing.I dont think that we will EVER see in Ireland crates of semi AKs or 15s for sale in the gun stores.But on a case by case self imported rifles in "sporterised" versions.I think there is a good chance of that happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement