Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOLBB Blocking Ports?

• 27-12-2004 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I can't seem to receive through TCP port 6699 - does anyone know if this is blocked by IOL? I thought it could have been my firewall blocking it, but doesn't appear to be. Is there any way of finding out what's blocked by my ISP?

Or could it be something to do with my router? It's one of the standard Zyxel ones that come with IOLBB.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭calis

the iolbb modem has built in firewall. to disable u go to setup webpage u used when installing and enter name and password. then goto security and disable the relevant options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Oh, didn't know about that! Elsewhere people were saying it had no built-in firewall stuff, but I guess it does. That explains why Ping wouldn't work! However, I don't think it's fixed my problem...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

If it's any help I seriously doubt they're blocking ports, it wouldn't really be worth their while and would be kind of pointless as most apps allow you change the port they communicate on.
    Have you got the Zyxel router from IOL? If so you'll need to log onto it, go into NAT then Edit Details of SUA Only and add a hole for port 6699 to your internal PC. ie. Start port 6699, End port 6699 and IP Address 192.168.1.2 or whatever the IP of your PC is. Further assuming the Zyxel you have is the Prestige 623, it doesn't have a proper firewall built in, just the few hard coded rules under Security... So adding a hole in the NAT section is all you need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hehe. I think the you program you can't use with 6699 is BitTorrent. You'll see that a few ISP's have done likewise. My advice if this is so; pick a new port ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Nope, Bittorrent uses 6969 for trackers and 6881-6999 for clients, though most client apps now use random ports so there's no way an ISP can block them by port. Of course with Suprnova gone and a lot of the other trackers now being sued the days of BT might be limited...

6699 used to be or maybe still is Napster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

(Sorry, only just notcied the replies now)

I'll try out that NAT stuff and see if it works whe I get home - thanks!

SuperNova's actually been closed down?! I was wondering what happened to it!

Anyway, it was WinMX that uses 6699 - yeah, WinMX is still around... somehow :D

And can I just change the ports to anything if I need to, or does it have to be in specific range?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

i too am no longer able to download (and sometimes upload) with winmx. im on eircom tho.
    i actually just wrote my own post on this today, it appears to have been deleted tho cause i can't find it. what's up with that??

this has only been happening to me the last few days, i used mx for ages wit no probs. i never changed anything. i just doesn't get passed the "waiting for network reply..." and then times out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm on IOL and am having some major problems with WinMX - it could be being locked out by the ISPs but I find that a bit odd. Most downloads just outright fail....very weird.

ok. i'm starting to think maybe the program?
    i use seagate firewall, it allows winmx to connect in and out, but when i check the connection details it list it LISTENING (tcp and udp) with ip0.0.0.0 -> 0.0.0.0 which means its not getting anything, i think.

this is gettin annoying cause the last time i got a connection was only yesterday and nothin's changed since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I seem to be back to normal - I was getting songs at an Ok rate biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

this sucks.

Advertisement