Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Major HUGE Problem

• 27-12-2004 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Im using a friends computer because Ive got a big problem with my laptop.

I installed Windows XP service pack 2 on mine and it made it run so so slow. So. I uninstalled it tonight and took the 3 hotfixes that came with the servicepack 2 disk off too.

The last one prompted me to reboot.. and when I did, Windows is looking for a password to get in!! I never once set a password in the 2 years Ive owned the laptop. I cant get in from safe mode either.

Help.. Im in a serious panic here. Theres important stuff on the laptop that I did in the last few days and havent backed up yet.

Thanks.. Trotter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The error message that Im getting when I put in any password is along the lines of .. Windows cant log you in..the parameter is incorrect.

Ive figured out that I need to do a repair install from the Windows XP Disk. To do that do I just need to put the CD in and then switch on the machine?

I have the instructions from there on how to do the repair install.
    Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

A repair wont help you out here, it seems like there is a system password and you may have just forgot about it, you said it was two years after all. I'd recommend a reinstall of the OS, you can do this without formatting the drive and your files will remain but you will have to reinstall your apps again.

Watch though as your my documents folder will be wiped on a reinstall.. so I'd recommend trying to use a caddy or something along those lines to back up your data first.

Somebody else though may have a better solution.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The default setting for windows xp is no admin password. If you restart in safe mode (Press f8 while booting), you can access administrative mode and hopefully retrieve any important info. I'd imagine there are software packages that will allow you to crack xp passwords, but easier just to format and reinstall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

if that doesn't work, there is a utility where you can reset the passwords of any account. I won't search for it now but if you want it please let me know. Its a bootable CD with Unix console on it, kind of tricky to use but if your desperate then you'll handle it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

It turned out not to be a password thing. That was just a symptom of data corruption in windows. The parameter error meant I had to run the repair from the XP disk. So.. this sorted the problem.. partially.

Because the original issue was my laptop running too slow, I formatted the drive and put windows back on. Its working much better now. Many thanks to my pal with broadband for helping me get all my windows updates back in order. Ya know who ya are! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement