Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has your opinion ever changed?

• 10-03-2001 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

I have been reading and posting to these boards for a very long time now and have been thinking...

Has anyone here ever joined a (serious) thread with a partucular opinion or point of view and been presented with an arguement which caused them to rethink their position on the issue?

It struck me today when I read that post on drugs. I was wondering if one side was really reading the others posts or just looking for something to fling back at each other?

I dont want to drag up that debate again, I am just asking did anyone go into the thread with an open enough mind to change their opinions or did you all just go into thinking "I'm RIGHT! and THIS is why..."

If you dont learn anything or aren't even open to learning anything why would spend all that time reading and replying to posts?

Ok, rant over.

//A humble quake nerd.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Dunno confused.gif

I know on some issues that I wasn't too well informed on I formed my opinion on the arguments posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

nah never changed my opinion but it has opened my eyes to how other peoiple view it and how they come to there views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Well, it has in the technology and quake forums. On the more political/philosophical debates in humanities, no, I cant say that any thread has ever changed my mind. Enlightened me in some cases, but I dont recall a drastic change of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

One thing recently on which my general opinion changed was the thread about the Moon landing.

I never used give so much as a nanosecond's thought to doubting that man landed on the Moon.

Having seen the photos and so on there and at various other sources I am now firmly in the 'can't be sure but definitely on the Didn't Land' side.

Changing peoples opinions on issues of morals and so on is nigh on impossible in debate. Change in such areas usually only comes about through life experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

well i found out americans are better informed than the european press would have us believe.
    I cant...think of a situation where my opinion has changed but posting on forums helps me to draw from what i have learnt from various sources to either reinforce my opinion or moderate it in someway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

*an irrelevant sidenote on satanism* (sorry andy tongue.gif)

It is not widely accepted because it was set up as a mockery of Christianity - we all know it has nothing to do with sacrificing goats. wink.gif But, it is *not* a faith - it is a system. There is no leap of faith required to be a Satanist, as all it entails is belief in nothing but the self, and self-indulgence. The fact that they named themselves after the personification of evil in the world seems like a bad move to me...? They are also big into revenge, a bad natural impulse in people.

So anyway, I just wanted to mention that, carry on here. biggrin.gif

Give me back my towel. I'll sue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

i thought this would be a much more interesting topic if it concerned itself, as i first thought it did, with whether some people ever changed their opinions.

my opinions have never been changed on boards.ie
    but they are regularly challenged and have sometimes been changed on other bulletin boards like chickclick.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Clintons Cat:
    well i found out americans are better informed than the european press would have us believe.</font>

ROFLMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

Phil (Gerry) no I think my opinions have never really been changed, which shows that I am just as guilty as everyone else of this.

That was the question I was asking, I was only useing the drugs thread as an example.

My personal opinion (not that it matters to this thread) is that in any kind of long term situation drugs (to varying degrees) will mess you up. This would include alcohol although I will be the first to admit that I drink just as much as anyone.

The point I was trying to make though is that if you do just come to a discussion (in the "real" world or on these boards) and aren't open to change then all you will ever get out of them is a big ego trip.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:
    ROFLMAO</font>

Hmmm....LAIABDBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well i for 1 am always open to change, eg. a few weeks ago i had a conversation about religion wit a girl who had total 'blind faith' couldn't be convinced otherwise, a satanist!! n myself who doesn't believe in ne thing!

i must say i had alot of misconceptions about satanism, its a bit (bit!!) rough n different, but its truer to life.! (probably cause its continually changeing) but after that conversation i open my mind to other opions, it didn't convert me but i now see that sadists are not all evil...they hav some good commandments, but as i said it seems a bit too rough for me. n i didn't like the whole survivel of the fitest bit, although good in theory their belief is that the weak should be destroyed!

i didn't go for that but they do say alot for respect for ppl n their property... its worth readin about if ya hav the chance, who knows if it were called ne thing else it may hav been more widely excepted! smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭Gerry

Well reading that drugs thread was enlightening for me, to the point where it would lead me to change my opinions about drugs, as to how many perfectly normal people use them on a regular or even occasional basis. I didn't post, because I didnt have anything to offer in that thread, but it was informative and instructive to read it. How about you andy? did it change your opinion?

It also reinforced my opinion, that people pretending to be tolerant of others opinions, doesnt really happen when people feel strongly about a subject. Then its "oh, you are entitled to your opinion alright, as long as it doesnt contrast with mine very much" . Just my $0.02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

wtf? biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

Before reading the man on the moon thread I would have thought that America did land on the moon. Now I'm not so sure. Also all my opinions are right so I'm not going to be changed wink.gif

thefanj.gif

Clan Acid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Facts are by their nature always subject to change, opinions/beliefs however tend to rather irrational,(that is the truth).
    I have learnt that a majority of people who do hold differing views to mine are sincere and just as commited to them as I am to my own.
    Finally, if anyone does believe that the Americans faked the moon landings I have some genuine high quality internet-stocks for sale smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

I think the fact that if an arguement is on a 'serious mattter', then the only people responding with an argument will have a strong belief. It's nearly impossible to alter this developed ideal for the person, especially since alot of people on these boards are adult. Adult's tend to be very stubborn on such views.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

i change my opinions as often as i change my underpants wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Twice a month whether you need to or not eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

I used to believe whole-hearted in the moon landing, never doubted it for a second.

Then a couple of years back I heard that it could be fake and changed my mind a bit.
    But yesterday, looking at some of the pictures, I think it seems like clutching at straws, Someone said to me yesterday (and I think it holds true): "Sometimes the simplest answer is usually the truth."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Manach:
    Facts are by their nature always subject to change</font>

Facts by their nature are never subject to change.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Fact:

Information presented as objectively real.
    A real occurrence; an event: had to prove the facts of the accident.

Something having real, demonstrable existence: Genetic engineering is now a fact.
    The quality of being real or actual: a blur of fact and fancy.
    A thing that has been done, especially a crime: an accessory before the fact.
    Law. The aspect of a case at law comprising events determined by evidence: The jury made a finding of fact.
    </font>

Now what shares were you talking about? smile.gif

Al.

PS Dictionary.com :

Usage Note: Fact has a long history of usage in the sense “allegation of fact,” as in “This tract was distributed to thousands of American teachers, but the facts and the reasoning are wrong” (Albert Shanker). This practice has led inevitably to the introduction of the phrases true facts and real facts, as in The true facts of the case may never be known. These usages may occasion qualms among critics who hold that facts cannot be other than true, but they often serve a useful purpose.

Hehe, I'm a critic with qualms smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Hi Trojan,
    What I meant was that a fact (or a scientific theory) is something that is known to be true until something truer comes along and supercedes it.
    ie Once it was a fact that the world was flat and now it is a fact its a sphere.

As for net stocks, try to buy ones with the prettiest colours, they'd make great wallpaper smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darthmise:
    I used to believe whole-hearted in the moon landing, never doubted it for a second.

Then a couple of years back I heard that it could be fake and changed my mind a bit.
    But yesterday, looking at some of the pictures, I think it seems like clutching at straws, Someone said to me yesterday (and I think it holds true): "Sometimes the simplest answer is usually the truth."
    </font>

Occams Razor
    All things being equal, the simplest explanation is the right one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

after the medieval english philosopher, William of Occam.

and manach, i understand what you are trying to say about fact.

what we understand to be fact today is not universal. it is merely so likely as to be useful to regard it as universal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I think i understand what he means as well.
    It makes me laugh when a newspaper gets hand on some interesting scientific report and immediatly presents it as fact.

Scientific reports are not all 'facts', biased evidence can be used, incorrect lab procedures etc..

Believe none of what you hear and only a fraction of what you read....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

"The facts may have changed, but not my opinion that I am right."

I forget who said that....

-Son of Blam

"The facts may have changed, but not my opinion that I am right."
    Mark Twain,probally ...or Oscar Wilde

The only universal truth is that there is no universal truth.

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

If there were no universal truth, we would not be here. Everything would become null.

Is that true?

J'ai dormi sous l'eau.

Lucy la morte.

• Advertisement

Explore the idea.

If there was not a universal truth, how could anything be real? Or anything be true or defined?

This is a massive philosophical question. I'm not saying that I know what the universal truth is - I think I have a grasp of the idea but my little human mind could never grasp the ultimate everything. smile.gif

"I'm not saying that I know what the universal truth is "
    i did,but then i forgot,but what ever it was i knew it it will come back,if someone would just remind me what it was...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement