Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mmm, Full licence insurance

Options
  • 27-12-2004 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭

Right, have the test in a few weeks, after i pass(fingers crossed:)) i might look into gettin a 1.6 focus(99/00)..

Currently, i drive a 1.2 punto.. insurance is 3800 on provisional licence..

Is there anyway at all i could get a quote for less than 3000 on a 1.6 focus???

I used quotline.ie today as no insurers are open.. and the best it gave me was about 3500 on a 1.6.. and i think 3200 on a 1.4..

Could i get under 3k :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

go onto www.cbg.ie and theres a link for sum quote finder, I think its something to do with 123. try that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

wo!! 2332.. but that's for a 1.4.. and i had no choice but to put 1 year as a full licence holder!!

me goes to try it with a 1.6

jaysus!!! 4722 on a 1.6.. lets try that again..

*edit* this is for fully comp by the way..

me thinks i'll stick to 1.4 focus.. i know it's under powered but compared to a punto it's a ****in beast!!

anyone else any suggestions to get the lowest price possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I gor a great quote from insure.ie (their site is being revamped ATM i think) but you can call em on 1850 43 43 43.

thanks, can i transfer my insurance from one insurer to another.. for instance, i have paid a full years insurance through top quote.. if i found a better quote with someone other than my current insurer, will they transfer that premium to the other insurer or will they give me a refund of the 6 months left on my insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

I dont know for sure but I think they refund you and the problem is that it means you miss out on that all important 1 years NCB as you only spent say 6 months with that insurer.

I looked into this about 3 years ago and its they way it worked then but possibly somebody else may know different???

well obviously i won't get 1 years NCB but do you have to be with the insurer for 1 year to get that or do you just have to be insured for a year... so if i change insurers now i'll still have to wait a year to get the ncb? that kinda sucks!!

newband wrote:
    well obviously i won't get 1 years NCB but do you have to be with the insurer for 1 year to get that or do you just have to be insured for a year... so if i change insurers now i'll still have to wait a year to get the ncb? that kinda sucks!!

yep....what you said, you do have to be with the same insurer for a full year to that year as NCB. Doesnt count if you changed midway through :mad:

mmmm, i'll guess i'll see what kind of quotes i get... if i can get under 3000 then i don't really give a **** about NCB:)

just got this mail

Third Party, Fire & Theft Quote - Reference *********
    Requested by ****** ***** at 20:56 on 27/12/2004
    Male - Born: 23/09/1983 - Full Licence for 0 years has 0 Years No Claims Bonus
    Driving a 1999 FORD - FOCUS CL 16V - 1388cc - Petrol - 5 Door- Manual
    We have submitted your details to a number of Insurance Companies including :-
    Allianz, AXA, Eagle Star, Europa, Hibernian, RSA, The St Paul
    Please note: These are indicative quotes which are subject to acceptance by each insurance company upon receipt of a satisfactorily completed and signed proposal form and cover Social/Domestic/Pleasure use only.

Quote 1 - € 2930.52 [ ! ]
    Quote 2 - € 3497.18 [ * ]
    Quote 3 - € 3497.18 [ * ]

Not too bad.. notice i put in 0 years ncb and 0 years full licence

• Advertisement

In my experience no matter what kind of NCB you have, once your a young bloke - full license or not you'll be screwed for insurance! It makes a big difference though if you hit 3 years claim free and above.

Try quoteline if you can as well - www.quoteline.ie. got good prices off them - only thing is they then build in a brokers fee of €50 which on my insurance of €400 is alot but to you on €3k not so much!

Oh wait... the [ ! ] by the first quote means I have to do an ignition course so I presume that quote is from Hibernian..

What's the story with that anyway.. i've heard mixed reviews.. If you pass are you guaranteed 20% min off your premium?

Thats still some amount of money to pay for insurance for a year - sure you'd buy a 99 focus in the buy and sell for €6.5K - does your girlfriend drive or have a license - sometimes this can bring price down if you name 'a partner' on insurance?

yeah i tried quoteline.ie but when i got to choosing the make and model of car the page wouldn't download!!:mad:

*edit* would a provisional licence do the trick, she doesn't have one but i will gladly pay for the theory test!!

newband wrote:
    Oh wait... the [ ! ] by the first quote means I have to do an ignition course so I presume that quote is from Hibernian..

What's the story with that anyway.. i've heard mixed reviews.. If you pass are you guaranteed 20% min off your premium?

Do a search on this thread - a few people have had problems passing it because the testers are bastards!!! :rolleyes:

One of them was that dark knight bloke who's a gard and had his license as well I think! I think you have to pay a deposit to do it then then comes off your insurance price but if you failed it and then fail re-test insuranc goes up big time.

Really not to sure about the deposit side of it though!

newband wrote:
    yeah i tried quoteline.ie but when i got to choosing the make and model of car the page wouldn't download!!:mad:

*edit* would a provisional licence do the trick, she doesn't have one but i will gladly pay for the theory test!!

Again -sorry not 100% on this. I was on boyfriends insurance at the time - he had a full license and I was on a provisional and it bought it price down for him.

Likewise - he's on my insurance now and vice versa and in both cases has made it cheaper - could be worth checking?? Both have full licenses now though and I'm a good 5 years older than you and he's 9 years older than me so age before beauty an' all that when it comes to insurance!!

Hopefully someone else will reply to this that no's more on car insurance than me but anyhoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

everyones been steering clear of puntos on the m50, now we'll have to watch out for the focus :D

21 yo, prov,sorry full licence, 0 ncb, on a 1.6 focus, you'll be very lucky to get a quote near 3k.

Your better off waiting till you get the years ncb and going shopping then, it puts you in a much better position when ringin up for quotes

If you pass the ignition course you get between 20%-40% off your premium, depending on how well you do, you can get a futher 10% off if you agree not to drive between 11pm and 6am, which is bollocks
    @ samo, i think you have to pay a €200 deposit, but as long as you turn up you get it back

i think the ignition course is the way to go.. although if i fail, isn't there a chance my premium could go up, well with hibernian anyway..

not that i would fail in my punto;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

newband wrote:
    i think the ignition course is the way to go.. although if i fail, isn't there a chance my premium could go up, well with hibernian anyway..

If you fail the quote would go up but you are under no obligation to take it out and you get your desposit for the course refunded anyway.

Wait a year before looking into getting a 1.6, you will do well to get a quote near 3000 now, but your quote on a punto would probably fall under 2000 (mind you this is pure speculation as everyone knows what insurance is like). Think of the year as putting away money to buy your focus and get a better one with cheaper insurance the following year.

Think of the year as putting away money to buy your focus and get a better one with cheaper insurance the following year.

Thats very good advice there, I dont know how long you've been driving but your punto will do you well to get an extra years NCB when changing to higher litre car and it doesnt make you a better overnight having a full license. Sure I nearly caused a head on collision 4 years ago when returning from the motor tax office to hand in provsional because I got too over confident!! :)

I dont see the point of spending 1k more than you have to on insurance and when the new focus comes out the old one will depreciate alot more over next few months so you'll save more money again on that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Your as well driving something smaller for a year or two till you get your NCB built up, or you could bite the bullet and pay through the nose like i did for the first few years, that little piece of paper that says you have a few years NCB means so much though.

My first insurance was

20 year old on 94 1.6 Nissan 100nx insurance = €4,800 TPF&T

21 year old on same with 1year NCB = €3,200 TPF&T

22 year old on 01 Focus 1.6 with 2 years NCB = €1200 Fully Comp

Some change eh? their all in my own name, goin for an Evo this summer with 3 years NCB should be interestin! i'll look about a quote in a few months

Farlz

sounds good...

whats the deal with Hibernian????? If they won't give you a quote without 5 years NCB then would they give me a quote after completing the ignition course.. i'm confused about that!!!

If i do pass the ignition course then i get a min of 20% discount yeah? so if i'm lucky, and do well, i still could possibly get a quote of under 3000 on a 1.6? but if not then i don't mind sacrificing that little bit of power and go for a 1.4.. i mean it'll still be fantastic compared to the punto!!! And at least i'll be in a decent comfortable car that i'll enjoy driving and then build up a NCB

I really don't want to have to keep my car till next summer, tbh i really don't even feel safe in the thing.. it's a horrible horrible car:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

newband wrote:
    Just so as you know, you do the test in the instructor's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    but if not then i don't mind sacrificing that little bit of power and go for a 1.4.. i mean it'll still be fantastic compared to the punto!!! And at least i'll be in a decent comfortable car that i'll enjoy driving and then build up a NCB

I really don't want to have to keep my car till next summer, tbh i really don't even feel safe in the thing.. it's a horrible horrible car:(

Have you taken a 1.4 focus for a test drive? Its not going to perform much better than the punto. Comfort and handling will be far better, but performance will be much the same as the punto, in fact the punto may even feel faster. I would suggest that a Fiesta 1.25 would be a good compromise. It's quicker than both the 1.4 focus and 1.2(8v) punto, handles almost as well as the focus and should be the same as the punto for insurance.

As for the safety bit, if there's something wrong with the car, get it seen to, but chances are it's probably more to do with the driver and how it's being driven than the car. Changing car may only give you a false sense of security and may encourage you to take risks and possibly end up planted in a ditch somewhere, or worse still in another car...

... imagine what that will do to your insurance :eek:

Advertisement