Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Wireless Router

• 27-12-2004 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

I have a Belkin adsl modem with built in wireless router. I am using UTV's BB and my laptop is set up and working without a hitch. It's using a Belkin wifi card.!

However, the family PC will not connect to the internet - The machine sees the wireless connection and connects yet despite many frustrated attempts I cannot get it to access the internet. I have the connection in the browser set to obtain IP address automatically though I have tried so many options I am not sure where to go next! At the moment the TCP/IP settings for the wireless connection are set to obtain IP automatically as well.

Incidently in my internet options for the laptop I assigned an IP address and though I tried a similar setting on the PC it wouldn't connect either.

Hopefully someone can help me - Both machines are using XP.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

have you set your pc to infrastructure in the wireless configurations instead of Ad-hoc, and have you your router broadcasting aswell as running dhcp?

What security configurations have you set on your router is it using a wep key? assignment by mac address only??

to be honest to better understand your issue we would need to know the configuaration setup you have on your router and your client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

zekiel wrote:
    have you set your pc to infrastructure in the wireless configurations instead of Ad-hoc, and have you your router broadcasting aswell as running dhcp?

What security configurations have you set on your router is it using a wep key? assignment by mac address only??

to be honest to better understand your issue we would need to know the configuaration setup you have on your router and your client.
    I have limited knowledge of what is required but learning!

Here is the info from the router config page

System Date and Time
    Current Time December 28, 2004 3:40:07 PM

Version Info
    Firmware Version AR.0.01.08UK (Oct 27 2004 01:03:29)
    Boot Code Version V1.0A
    Hardware Version R01
    Serial Number S447033569

Internet Settings
    ADSL Status CONNECTED
    Data Rate
    Downstream/Upstream 512Kb/128Kb
    Connection Type PPPoE
    WAN MAC Address 00:11:50:2F:6A:DE

WAN IP 194.46.95.195
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway 195.218.116.25
    Primary DNS Address ns1.utvinternet.ie
    Secondary DNS Address ns1.d-n-a.net
    LAN Settings
    Interface Status Connected
    Link Status 100Mbps Full Duplex
    LAN MAC Address 00:11:50:2F:6A:DE
    Router IP Address 192.168.2.1
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server Enabled
    Number of DHCP Clients 0

WLAN Settings
    Wireless Function Enabled
    WLAN MAC Address 00:30:f1:fd:fa:ed
    Mode Long Range Mixed (11b+11g)
    SSID ******
    ESSID Broadcast Enabled
    Channel 12
    Security Disabled

Advanced Features
    UPnP Disabled
    NAT Enabled
    Firewall Enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

"Number of DHCP Clients 0 " - this is your problem (DHCP Server is Enabled )

Cause
    1. Your family Pc is not configured correctly to pull an IP address and /or the is no link because the channel/security/SSID is incorrect or you simply have too weak of a signal.

on the family PC run CMD to bring up a dos box
    type ipconfig ( this shows you the ip address on the PC ) - if you get a 169.x.x.x address its not able to talk to the router (try ipconfig /renew).

If you get a 192.168.2.x address you have a good ip address.

Thanks Zod but no dice! I tried to Ipconfig and it came up with 192.168.2.12 which is the IP address I assigned it maunually.

If I reset it to obtain IP address automatically I lose connectivity and I get an ip address as you suggested with 169.x.x.x.

This, to coin a phrase from my children, is "wrecking my bulb!"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

scout353 wrote:
    Thanks Zod but no dice! I tried to Ipconfig and it came up with 192.168.2.12 which is the IP address I assigned it maunually.

If I reset it to obtain IP address automatically I lose connectivity and I get an ip address as you suggested with 169.x.x.x.

This, to coin a phrase from my children, is "wrecking my bulb!"

Scout I wonder by any chance are you running an early version of XP?

I had a very similar problem and discovered there is an issue in the early versions of XP about timing and the picking up of the address from the router. There is actually some stuff on the Microsoft site about it. I eventuall solved it by reinstalling XP. sounds a bit drastic I know!

If you confirm that it is an early XP version I wil try the find the stuff that I had found in a google searcy for you.

• Advertisement

Hi Dub45,
    I am running XP home with Service Pack 2. The system info just says Version 2002. I'm not sure if this is the problem as I had no problems when I was connected to Eircom's BB though in that situation I was using a Linksys Wireless router with the eircom modem (cayman I think!) Thanks anyway.

BTW, the pc is only a few months old so I assume that it is running latest version of XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭halkar

Don't forget your default gateway for your computer will be 192.168.2.1 (router's address) not the eircom. If you have entered your IPs manually check your default gateway, ipconfig will tell you that too.
    Also check you browser connection settings. Maybe you have one tick too many somewhere :)

Have tried all those and I think it's something very small somewhere!! Will keep tinkering but any help appreciated. I will check the default gateway on the pc

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭sidekick

I had a similar problem with my brother's laptop - it would connect to my wireless network but it could connect to the internet. All the settings on the laptop were the same as two other PCs in the house - neither of which had any issues connecting to either the wireless network or the internet.

I got the issue resolved by setting the proxy in IE to proxy.iolfree.ie. There have been no problems ever since, hope this helps.

Would there be a similar proxy setting for clicksilver? Worth a try though! Thanks

• Advertisement

scout353 wrote:
    Would there be a similar proxy setting for clicksilver? Worth a try though! Thanks

There is a proxy for UTV but I dont think it is relevant in your case as you are not connecting to your router. (195.218.116.8 3128)

When you see a 169 address it basically means trouble as the pc is giving itself this address in the absence of getting one from the router.

The fact that the laptop is able to connect would suggest that the problem is with the PC - do you have any left over settings anywhere on it from your time with Eircom although really these should not prevent you connecting to the router.

Have you considered restoring the modem's settings to the factory ones so as to get everything back to normal. Similarly you could try reinstalling the pc network card. After that you should only have to insert your UTV settings in the router/modem. Normally thats all that is required as the rest of the settings are obtained automatically by default (well usually anyways!)

Reset the default gateway to 192.168.2.1 as suggested but no joy and I couldn't find a proxy setting for utv so i tried proxy.u.tv but no joy in that one either!! :-(

Also I tried to access the router configuration from the pc and couldn't connect to that either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Hi !

Is there any chance that you've been configuring the PC's onboard NIC rather than the Wireless one ? I know it sounds silly but it's possible and may explain the inability to obtain an I.P address as there is no cable plugged in. The wireless card would have configured itself to Obtain Automatically when installed first but the DHCP server may not be configured with the correct info to server to clients that request it.

Click START > SETTINGS > Network Connections, how many network devices are there present, click click the one for the wireless card and under the General Tab check the I.P address and other I.P. settings and make sure they're correct. The advanced Tab will enable you to turn off the Firewall which is enabled by default on SP2. The important addresses are the Gateway and the DNS server addresses for internet connection and the I.P. and Mask for local network connections.

If I'm stating the blatantly obvious to you here forgive and me I'll go hide in a corner now.

ZEN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

This may seem insulting - it's not intended to be - but is the Windows firewall active on the PC? If it is, try turning it off.

This may seem insulting - it's not intended to be - but is the Windows firewall active on the PC? If it is, try turning it off.

I will try anything and I do feel that it's something small! Thanks for all your help everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

scout, there is a problem with help from so many sources, and you've done so much tweaking at this stage you could be a long way from the solution.

My suggestion:

Remove the TCP/IP protocol and restart the PC. Install the TCP/IP again. Set it to obtain an IP automatically. No Gateways or anything.

Go to start, Run, type cmd.

Type Ping 192.168.2.1. See if you get a reply.
    If you don't, you need to check for firewalls. The difference between your PC and your laptop is the problem. Got Macafee on the PC?

scout353 wrote:
    Reset the default gateway to 192.168.2.1 as suggested but no joy and I couldn't find a proxy setting for utv so i tried proxy.u.tv but no joy in that one either!! :-(

Also I tried to access the router configuration from the pc and couldn't connect to that either!!

What I was suggesting was going back to the very start. Restore the wireless modem to factory settings in case there is something there which is the problem. You do this by pushing in the pinhole at the back for a few seconds - the manual will tell you how to do it.

(Just a thought - has the modem been used by anyone else before)) Anyways if you restore the modem then it is just a question of putting in your UTV sign on and password the other settings you may need are
    Driver: PPPoE
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Set up type: LLC

Normally the router/modem does not need any other adjustments other than security which can come later.

As suggested above if you reinstall the TC/Ip that should give you a complet clean start!

Remove the TCP/IP protocol and restart the PC. Install the TCP/IP again. Set it to obtain an IP automatically. No Gateways or anything.

Go to start, Run, type cmd.

Type Ping 192.168.2.1. See if you get a reply.
    If you don't, you need to check for firewalls. The difference between your PC and your laptop is the problem. Got Macafee on the PC?

Uninstalled the wireless connection on the PC and rebooted. Left all boxes unchecked - let it try to obtain IP address automatically but no joy. Got a message regarding limited or no connectivity.

Assigned it a manual IP address from the range available and it establishes connection. Ping works fine in this regard but doesn't under first scenario (auto ip).

Still no joy from IE or Enigma browsers.

Also disabled Windows firewall and Zone Alarm. no joy either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭halkar

If you can ping your router and your default gateway is your router's IP (192.168.2.1), then your browser settings are not correct.
    Go to Lan settings in IE-Options-Connections and uncheck every box there. There should be nothing checked there.

Well, it's nearly a month down the road and I am still no nearer to resolving my issue.

I brought the pc down to the office and installed the UTV modem directly to the machine, connected to the service which worked fine but I still couldn't get either IE or enigma to load any pages.

So I guess that it must be a software problem or a settings problem.

I think it may be time to bring the machine back to the shop and have them look at it there!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Since you can ping the modem when you set a static IP I might suggest this

I have had a similar problem recently, this cured it

In Internet Explorer

Go to:
    Tools - Options
    Choose the CONNECTIONS tab
    Make sure "Never Dial a connection" is checked
    Go into LAN SETTINGS
    Ensure that all three checkboxes are blank

I finally gave up and had to reformat the pc, reinstall everything and start again go it fixed up and now it works fine. I guess it must have been some software interference or setting.

Thanks to all for the help - I'm moving on now to the next issue!!

Advertisement