Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike and car insurance question

Options
  • 27-12-2004 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got an arrangement which allows them to drive cars and bikes on the same policy? My car policy has allowed me to drive bikes (provided I don't own them) for no extra cost, however now that I want to buy a bike it is going to mean starting my bike insurance record all over (eight year lapse). This means €1100 for a CBR600F or €411 for a CBR250. If I am paying Hibernian for car insurance and bike insurance then obviously I can't be driving both at the same time? Carole Nash won't insure me on a CBR600 without a year with Hibernian first. The nobs.

I can get trader insurance for €2,200 which will cover me to do pretty much anything I want, but when you consider my car insurance is €400-ish this isn't a bargain either.

Anyone got any suggestions? Any options I don't know about? (yes, I could register the bike in a mates name, get him to insure it and drive it on my car policy but prefer to keep things straight when it comes to insurance).

'ceptr

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭logonapr

The reality is that no insurance company in Ireland, or abroad, will cover 2 vehicles whether bikes or cars for one premium except where the likes of a motor traders policy is being used.
    Unlikely to ever change either as too open to abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Hibernian used to have a 6 wheel policy but they did away with it a long time ago. Bout the only consilation you might be able to draw is that if you have the two policies with the one company you get a bit of discount.

I wish I could pay €400 ish for my car and €1100 for my bike. I have to pay €1667 just for my bike, third party only and I'm drivin 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

logonapr wrote:
    The reality is that no insurance company in Ireland, or abroad, will cover 2 vehicles whether bikes or cars for one premium except where the likes of a motor traders policy is being used.
    Unlikely to ever change either as too open to abuse.
    In most civilised countries you can have multiple cars on one policy, the UK and US being the most obvious. As for systems being open to abuse, Ireland has one of the highest rates of non-insured driving in the EU which to my mind is the greatest possible abuse. My current motor policy covers bikes I don't own, but I can transfer it from one car to another, why not from a car to a bike and back again? I feel a spot of fair-weather biking coming on...

'c

Kazujo wrote:
    Hibernian used to have a 6 wheel policy but they did away with it a long time ago. Bout the only consilation you might be able to draw is that if you have the two policies with the one company you get a bit of discount.

I wish I could pay €400 ish for my car and €1100 for my bike. I have to pay €1667 just for my bike, third party only and I'm drivin 5 years.
    Oooh - six-wheel policy sounds just the ticket. I know the premiums sound ok but I am very old and my mid-life crisis demands feeding. I was insured on a bike from '85-'96 and am raging that this counts for nothing despite being insured on a car from '84.

*Drifts off to dreamland and thoughts of six-wheel policy....*

'c

why not from a car to a bike and back again?

Probably the same reason every insurance company in this country ignores the fact that I have been driven a bike for 5 years have a full licence and no claims and it makes absolutely no odds when I try to getquotes for car insurance.

The whole insurance industry in this country is a bit messed up if you ask me.

• Advertisement

I might sound bitter but I'm a young careful driver caught by a stereotype

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I have my two classic cars on the one policy (Gogans Insurance Brokers Dublin) but when I had my bandit 600 I had to get a separate policy for it.
    One of the main reasons I sold the bandit was the ever increasing insurance costs for it - there is just not enough competition on bike insurance in the Irish market. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I know its not the answer, but I know a fella, cough cough, who insures a harley down the country but uses it around Dublin, makes a difference of around €700. When insurance comes down(prov licence, had bike insurance 20 yrs ago, but no good now) he will "move it" back to Dublin.

Pataman wrote:
    I know its not the answer, but I know a fella, cough cough, who insures a harley down the country but uses it around Dublin, makes a difference of around €700. When insurance comes down(prov licence, had bike insurance 20 yrs ago, but no good now) he will "move it" back to Dublin.
    Yeah, I know lots of people who *cough cough* register stuff at their down-the-country address and drive in Dublin, but I am an old bloke living in Co. Galway who has four or five cars on the go and wants to have a bike at the back of the garage to take use for the odd run, without having to pay a 'meeellion dollars' to insure it.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

Has anyone got an arrangement which allows them to drive cars and bikes on the same policy? My car policy has allowed me to drive bikes (provided I don't own them) for no extra cost,

technically you can drive the bike ,doesn't have to be insured, but you:
    can't get road tax , which means you are driving without valid disk
    can't get any NCB
    it's third party only , so you have to watch your bike
    can't travel outside Ireland,

once you have this policy you are :D and it's legal

• Advertisement
Advertisement