Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ww2 online

Options
  • 28-12-2004 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

spawned from the *cough* cybering scandal, i notice some of the replies came from players of ww2 online.

i thought that game had gone under.

Does anyone here play it? is it any good? looking at some offical websites it looks like alot of fun, a pvp ww2 game. might give it a go myself.

http://www.wwiionline.org.uk/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Furez

Ive been playing it around 2 years now on and off. Its great fun at the moment with paratroops and mobile spawns. It used to be the case that you would sit in the back of a truck for 5 mins getting to the battlefield. Now the truck just pulls up and you can spawn from it. Also CRS have added some features that funnel the battles into a few towns at a time, so theres generally big battles raging somewhere.

Its no BF1942, the graphics are a bit dated but then they have to be when theres 100's of infantry, tanks, planes and field guns milling about little french villages.

Its a tough game too. One ping and youre dead usually. But Its sheer variety of infantry, aircraft, armor, ships, anti tank guns and AAA makes for milions of exciting ways to die or get kills.

Furzy
    ps Its far from going under.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

kewl then i might give it a try when i get back to my proper pc.

how do the ships work? does it have the entire atlantic war implemented?

i would love to be a merchant raider...

what sqaudron are you part of?

and finally i noticed they have these campaigns. IS that how long till the game resets or is it just a change of strategy by one of the sides?

The Shipping isnt something I went into. Theres the small gunboats that can be used on inland waterways. These are equiped with a 37mm cannon a few 20mm and some Machine guns. Then theres a Destroyer with some 5"guns torps and lots of aaa guns. One of these babies parked in the right spot sure can lay down hell on ground troops.
    Lastly theres the transport just a few aa guns but it can carry 4 vehicles that have to be loaded on using a player controlled crane :). All the boats carry infantry too. There is no atlantic battle. Most of the sea warfare goes on at zeeland, the islands scattered around holland. I havent done any naval stuff because theres usually a long distance to travel in its missions. And its hard to get rank in navy I hear.

I play axis with the 105th though I may be changing squad. 105th dont do many ops on euro time. that said I often switch to an allied side for a day or two.

The Campaigns start off as WWII did with contemporary vehicles and aircraft. Each sides High command (Another whole game involve in this, but you dont need to know about it) decides on how research and production is carried out. This means that New model Aircraft and tanks get added to the game every few days depending how badly bombed the factories are. Eventually of course everything is researched but CRS are still producing new tanks and planes. There around 1942 atm I think. The campaigns could be over in 2 weeks or be long ones like the current one, 3 months ( though axis are about to win ). Then it just resets when one sides down to a few towns.

Gotta go eat.

Furzy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

sounds great!

I want in!

How much is the subscription. I see the game itself is quite cheap.

Also it doesnt look like a MMO which requires days of leveling up which is good cause i have a sort of social life.

15$ a month I think. I use the www.wwiionline.com site. I didnt even know there was a uk one till now.

There are ranks in this game. As an infantry you get binoculars as a captian. 4-5 successful missions will do for that I think.

Same goes for Aircraft. Just the basics till capt. But I think its fairly easy to get the rank. Its just a measure to stop newbs wasting the top range (rare) equipment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement