Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hangover Hell!

• 28-12-2004 3:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Went out last night. Had a "few" drinks. woke up this morning and my stomach's been in bits all day. It's terrible! At times like that I understand why some of my friends don't drink. You might have a good night but you might as well write off the next day...
    Feel free to list some hangover cures by the way..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I heard there was a pill you can buy and take before you go out, and you won't have that hangover the next day!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

cashback wrote:
    Went out last night. Had a "few" drinks. woke up this morning and my stomach's been in bits all day. It's terrible! At times like that I understand why some of my friends don't drink. You might have a good night but you might as well write off the next day...

try a glass of milk, will settle your stomach anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

Demeant0r wrote:
    I heard there was a pill you can buy and take before you go out, and you won't have that hangover the next day!
    I've heard of this... Just refuse to ever go down that chemical road! Opinion is if you have a hangover - you deserve it - you should just sleep it off. If you're a pilot you "need" to be sacked. When you don't need to be sacked you need to brave it out without pharmaceutical assistance - anything with paracetemol is bad news.

Don't know about the pill - even - if it is natural - would still be skeptical though!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A banana is great for settling the stomach. Don't ask me how or why, I just know it works. If your really dehydrated go for Gatorade or a similar non-carbonated "sports" drink rather than Lucozade, Coke, etc. Much gentler on the stomach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I was at a Chinese wedding some years ago and the best-man had to drink a toast of cognac at each table. I disputed this with some friends - (who could remember :p ) We agreed it was between 12 -16 tables + beer he had had. The best-man waved-us all goodbye in perfect English - (3rd language I think) but was unable to stand!

Fairly sure this was Chinese medicinal herbs to get him through this - he didn't surface for 24 hours (there's just no way it was bollivian snow!)- co-ollary there is not a cure natural or man-made-pharmeceutical to get over a hangover - sleep is the answer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I could tell you how to deal with a hangover, but I'm taking pleasure from your suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

The health food (heh nearly said fool ;) ) shops got so called hangover pills. Never got to try em tho.

Sarky what you doin here, The Thunderdome needs ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Prevention is better than cure. So either don't drink or if you are, don't drink on an empty stomach, don't drink too fast and of course, don't drink too much. Now, go back to bed! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Lash a load of tablets into you, it will knock you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Those anti hangover tablets are a crock of sh!te. allthey have in them is vitamins, along with some charcoal which burns off the alcohol or something like that. we got them sent in to us in work as part of some promotion, so i took em out one night. you have to take two after your first drink, but they come in a very suspect plastic baggie. and they're about the size of horse tranquilisers, so you cant take em without gagging. and they don't fecking work.

ah well...

as for hangover cures, lucozade sport (lots of) and a nice sandwich should do the trick. if you're at home don;t stay in bed, go for a walk, the cold weather should wake you up a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Simplest hangover cure:
    Knock a pint (or more) of cold water down you on first waking. Sleep an hour or so. Gte up and go cook yourself (or go out and have someone else cook you) the biggest fry-up you've ever eaten. If you're on a diet, cancel it (since you already consumed enough alcohol and sugar to negate it anyways) and eat the fry with plenty of toast and tea/coffee.
    Now go splash some cold water on your face and take a short walk.
    This is my general regieme for hangovers (even the dreaded V'n'RB ones) and it has yet to fail me.
    Last thing, if you smoke try not to the next morning; it makes things a lot worse for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Get some salts from the chemist, and in 30mins you'll be grand.

They replace the natural minerals etc lost from the excessive alcohol consumption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Evilution

cashback wrote:

Drink loads of water before you go to bed the night before. Works for me everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Sysiphus

cashback wrote:

Yeah, I know that day, i'm a whiskey drinker and have a hiatus hernia :( so acid tummy is a very regular occurence. Not so much of a cure, but a good restotirive once the tum has settled, biols some spuds for ten mins, pout off 80% of the water, mix about 1.5 pints of oxtail soup (a full pack) pour onto spuds, bring to the boil, then put in a pund of premium mince as meat balls simmer for twenty to thirty mins, then enjoy, simple, plain, neutral, but filling, and lots of fluids for rehydration! Simply called "soupy dinner"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The trouble with hangovers is that they get worse as you get older, once over 25 you're on a slippery slope.

Anyway here's my tuppence worth

- Gallon of water before bed and 2 solpadeine. Can work when you get up but less effective
    - Lucozade Sport or similar - Same as water just adding a few more electrolytes Usually 2 litres of the stuff
    - Vitamins - B complex are better cos you lose all of these with the booze, but this takes a while
    - Hit the gym, the pool,get on a bike or go for a walk if you can cope. An hour of hard sweat will kill or cure you. I have only ever done this once and it did work
    - Get someone to put you on a drip
    - For the stomach try Motillium, Rennies,Bisodol or Kefir ( Russian shops have it and probably some health shops, needs sugar/honey
    - Give up the drink!! This works 100% every time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hhahaahhahhahaha. Talk to pharmacist. Don't do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,989 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Take some solphadine before going to bed, with plenty of water. Problem solved.

GOODBYE LIVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Drink at least a pint of water as soon as you wake - you'll get the effects of that after 15 mins or so.
    Exercise is good - if hungover, put yourself through the pain of cycling to work

Avoid - if possible: Tea/Coffee, Flourescent lights, Computers(doh!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes lying in a dark room and groaning helps as well. Might even get you some TLC as long as you don't admit to your sins :p

Advertisement