Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

Very very very very heavy rain storm here.

Rain rate above 80mm/hr for the last 10 mins 6mm in the last 20 mins or so with rivers of water everywhere.

It's not my record rain rate (99.6mm/hr last year) but this is going on for longer and is blowing in a westerly.

It looks awe inspiring,the whole sky is black!

6.6mm now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

We had a VERY heavy hail shower here in Carlow town at approx. 9.55am. By god it was heavy, and loud! The sky was pretty black and gloomy looking before hand, dont know if there was any thunder mixed in, the hail was so loud I couldnt hear much.

rain rate back to 9.1mm/hr now
    Total 7.1mm in a half hour or less and with the wind gusting above 30mph - imagine trying to cycle in that-the rain in straight lines:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely cool clear frosty night here, temperature hovering around 1C but already frost on cars and the grass.

Surprisingly slow to drop, was 2.5C here a couple of hours ago when I got home from work - would have expected it to drop a lot faster with so little wind.
    Interestingly Annamoe was a good 1C colder on the car thermometer on the way home than Roundwood (which is a lot more exposed but the same approximate elevation) which confirmed my suspicions that its a bit of a local frost hollow

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Guys - just got broadband here - at last!!

OK - I'm close to Roundwood village at exactly 250M elevation. Normally
    its about 2 deg colder here than sea level.

Currently (22:05) 4.8 degrees C.

Have a standard car in/out thermometer for the last 3 years but will probably
    upgrade to something more elaborate soon.

Am very interested in weather etc and will post here frequently!!

A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Welcome:)

8am - 2.5 degrees - 80% clear

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Fog-bound here in Cork. Have just abandoned the plan to travel to Wicklow as I expect the fog will be bad there as well. We managed a minimum of 1 C this morning I see (Cork Airport), so we have avoided the worst combination-fog and frost. But Valentia came out well, being very calm, only 1 C, yet no fog at all. I hope everyone is travelling safely.

It's actually quite sunny up here in Wicklow,I'd imagine the N11 is fine.

I can see the fog rolling along the vale of avoca from here though.

Quite frosty here this morning.
    Min was 0.1c

Now 1.5c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fog from Tullow to Naas was quite bad up to 30 mins ago.

• Advertisement

Apart from the permanent fog that resides in Dublin,not bad on the coast here.Around the airport i heard it was bad enough.

arctictree wrote:
    Guys - just got broadband here - at last!!

OK - I'm close to Roundwood village at exactly 250M elevation. Normally
    its about 2 deg colder here than sea level.

Currently (22:05) 4.8 degrees C.

Have a standard car in/out thermometer for the last 3 years but will probably
    upgrade to something more elaborate soon.

Am very interested in weather etc and will post here frequently!!

A

Welcome to Boards artictree!, looking forward to comparing conditions with you over the winter.

Beautifully cool and perfectly clear here tonight, current temp outside is 0.9C
    So glad to get out of the city today, the air quality was really really poor, here its just clean and clear, a perfect winters evening.
    I noticed a little heat island effect in Roundwood this evening driving through - 1.5C on the car coming up to it then 2.5 in it, maybe the traffic passing was enough to mix the air up a bit ?

Fun drive home today, smoggy drive down the M50, turned foggy in bits heading towards Roundwood, then just perfectly clear and cold.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Down to 0.2C now, already colder than last night got to.
    Looks like its going to be a cold one!

Now -0.5C! its plummeting!!

Tristrame and Mothman very curious to see if its falling so fast with you guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Plummeting here aswell, but still not as cold. It's dropped 5.7C in the last three hours from 8C to 3.3C now, still dropping fast now

Seems that the air over Wicklow is a little drier than the rest of the country leading to clearer conditions (and warmer day time temps), I'd say you'll likely have a decent frost there too trodor by morning.

1.5c and a falling.

9pm - 0.7 degrees C

Thanks Longfield! Yes, the topography around here seems to affect the temp a bit. I am on a little hill over the reservoir. The lands around the reservoir are in a bit of a frost pocket and can be 2 degrees colder than me on a good frosty night. The same with that road that goes from the base of the sugarloaf to before RW village. There is a lot of frost/fog in that area in the mornings.

BTW - Guys I have a webcam setup in our chicken run (updates every 20 secs). Will be useful for you to see if there is ever any snow lying in Roundwood : http://www.arctictree.com/webcam-000000.jpg - Ignore the chickens!!

A

A chicken run webcam - now i've seen it all!!
    I'll hopefully be comparing snow depths with you sometime this winter :)

Its currently -1.1 here but think the current conditions mean areas like Annamoe in a valley will be a little colder than Roundwood.
    Often found its raining a little heavier in Roundwood then here in Annamoe when driving into work in the morning, suspect you'll have the higher snow totals you lucky so and so !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Down to 1.8C now. lowest temp since i set up my vp2 around 8 months ago, hopefully it will go lower and i can register my first air frost. There should be some great hoar frosts around tomorrow morning due to such high humidity and dewpoints

• Advertisement

Not far off freezing fog Temp 0.7c.
    Dense fog still.Not budging at all.

0.2c now,with an air frost.

8am - -0.8 degrees C. Fully clear - lots of frost.

Had to use the ice hammer in the chicken water drinker (first time this year!)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

-1.4 here - Fog

Min. -1.7 overnight

Max since 0800 yesterday only 2.6

Seven Worlds will Collide

min here was -0.4c at 438am

Clear blue sunny skies right now and 1.7c

Ground is white and frozen

Temp is dropping fast :confused:
    Down over 1c in ten minutes since my last post.

now only 0.6c

About 6 octas stratus above here, current temp 1.9C , unless this cloud goes away looks like its not going to be as cold as last night.

Peak here was 8.8c at 2pm or so.

Now 3.2c and falling with patchy sometimes dense fog.

Cloud has cleared here and temperature is falling nicely, down to 0.1C now.

• Advertisement

Clear here, 1.4 degrees at 19:07

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement