Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Max temp was 5.3c today in glorious sunshine,low of -1.3c.
    Temp droped quickly this afternoon and is at 2.7c atm.Nearly 2c higher on this time last 24hrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

0.4 c here at 20:35 - still clear. Will probably drop below freezing tonight again but not forecast to be as cold as last night.

My weather station is on the way so I'll have more info about max/min values up here.

Had a look at met.ie - average no. of days in Dec with air frost is 4.8. I guess we'll beat that this year if this spell lasts....

A

arctictree wrote:
    My weather station is on the way so I'll have more info about max/min values up here.

A
    Excelent-Are you near enough to the Roundwood exchange to get broadband? Afaik it is enabled.
    You can have it set to 5 minute updates on a web page.

Roundwood is a great location for some winter extremes compared to us at sea level :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

artictree I'd reckon you'll get below zero for sure , very surprised to hear that its still above freezing there?

If you're on a hill though in these conditions then lower levels are probably colder.

When I was driving in to work this morning the car thermometer went down to -3.0C just before Roundwood and then up to close to freezing shortly after it, with this still air the local variances are pretty big it seems.

I'm looking forward to comparing conditions with you when its a normal windy cold night.
    The new weather station sounds great, hope you get it online in time for some hopefully nice cold and snowy weather in January/Feb/March around here :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Current conditions : -1.0C in Annamoe, Co Wicklow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

21:10 : +0.5c

Longfield - I'm on a little hill about 30M higher than the reservoir. When I drive over it on a frosty morning, its nearly always a degree or 2 lower than me. For example this morning, it was -1 when I left the house but -2 over the reservoir. I am definitely just out of a frost pocket - I can grow spuds here earlier than my neighbours down the hill by the river (spuds are frost sensitive). Yes, the local topography is definitely really important when its frosty and still. But then, when its windy and snowing, I get more snow than Roundwood village!

Tristrame - Just got broadband a few weeks ago from a company called regional broadband. 2MB up and 2MB down. Its wireless, they have an antenna in Roundwood village. I have my own webserver in the house and will definitley put the station on line. I already have a webcam on it - http://www.arctictree.com/webcam-000000.jpg

Yeah - look forward to comparing my values!! BTW - Have been here for six years and have experienced some really heavy snow - XMas 2000, Feb/Mar 2001 and Feb 2005 was pretty bad!

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

4C here with the windchill it is 0C, some rain but light snow expected for Christmas Day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

arctictree wrote:
    Guys - just got broadband here - at last!!

Well if I was MOD, I'd ban you for gloating that you have BB.

It seems I'm in a little part of Ashford that's in no mans land, and BB is available a stone's throw in every direction.

I'm too far from Wicklow, I'm too far from Ashford it self, I'm too far from Newcastle :mad: :mad: yes I'm :mad:

BTW Welcome :)

Currently totally clear, -0.5C having been -1.3C. Grass temp is up a bit to -6C

What about that contraption you stick up on the roof,the one like a triangular dish type of thing,would that not get the BB in no mans land for you.I think it IBB that does it.

Have high cloud here alright and no fog Temp stuck on 2.3c.
    Now 2.2c at least goin in the right direction, if slow.

arctictree wrote:
    21:10 : +0.5c

Longfield - I'm on a little hill about 30M higher than the reservoir. When I drive over it on a frosty morning, its nearly always a degree or 2 lower than me. For example this morning, it was -1 when I left the house but -2 over the reservoir. I am definitely just out of a frost pocket - I can grow spuds here earlier than my neighbours down the hill by the river (spuds are frost sensitive). Yes, the local topography is definitely really important when its frosty and still. But then, when its windy and snowing, I get more snow than Roundwood village!

Yeah - look forward to comparing my values!! BTW - Have been here for six years and have experienced some really heavy snow - XMas 2000, Feb/Mar 2001 and Feb 2005 was pretty bad!

A

I've lived in Dublin all my life and haven't experienced proper snow since the late 90's so am delighted to hear that Roundwood and by extension down the road in Annamoe winters still happen !!

Hopefully we will be comparing snow depths and pictures here in January and Febuary :)

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Well if I was MOD, I'd ban you for gloating that you have BB.

It seems I'm in a little part of Ashford that's in no mans land, and BB is available a stone's throw in every direction.

I'm too far from Wicklow, I'm too far from Ashford it self, I'm too far from Newcastle :mad: :mad: yes I'm :mad:

(Little off topic)

Fought long and hard for it. Gave up on eircom (5 years of arguing). Failed a line of sight survey from regionalbroadband, cut down some trees, had another survey and passed. Have you contacted them? (www.regionalbroadband.ie) Service is very good - even got a fixed IP.

Funny - temp just gone up to +1.8c - 21:44pm

A

Longfield wrote:
    I've lived in Dublin all my life and haven't experienced proper snow since the late 90's so am delighted to hear that Roundwood and by extension down the road in Annamoe winters still happen !!

Hopefully we will be comparing snow depths and pictures here in January and Febuary :)

On 28th Feb '01 I was snowed in for a few days. Believe it or not but there was snow to a depth of 4ft on the road outside my house. It had blown and drifted from the road.

Actually - Feb '05 was particularly noted by the fact that we had snow on and off for nearly the whole month (or as far as I remember).

Attached a pic of the garden one morning in Feb '05. Still gets wintry up here!

A

OK - 22:24pm - 0 degrees c

Another frosty night....

A

8am - cloudy : +3.0 degrees c

Currently cloudy and 3.7c here.
    It was a comparatively mild night reaching almost 6c between 4 and 5am/

Crisp and clear but not as cold as the other night or morning.Frost more widespread but.Was patchy yesterday.A gentle southerly wind here too.

Temp dropping rapid here under clear skies and no wind

now 1.1c

Dewpoint -0.5c

Was falling rapidly earlier but a thin veil of altostratus? from the looks of it is drifting in and rate of fall is slowing quite a lot.

Still nice and frosty outside though.

Current temp 0.3C

Sky cleared overhead and temp dropping like a stone!!

Currently -0.5C

I got tropical temps compared to you Wicklow folk atm.6.8c with lowish stratus and a full altostratus layer.The duvet affect:rolleyes:

Also pressure continue to rise at 1040.9.No budging this for awhile.

• Advertisement

I'm very curious to see Mothmans temperatures this evening.
    He's due east of me and has been having colder temps than me or artictree in this cold snap, presumably due to katabatic wind effects.
    Its very still outside here tonight so probably he should be colder again.

Currently +1.0c . Has been fluctuating wildly over the last 20 mins or so.

Just drove from Greystones (+5.0c), lots of changes in temp from locality to locality.

I would say there are many frost pockets below zero around here (Annamoe
    for example!)

A

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Realtively mild here too with no sign of frost.. and some stratus muck floating about;)

Longfield wrote:
    I'm very curious to see Mothmans temperatures this evening.
    He's due east of me and has been having colder temps than me or artictree in this cold snap, presumably due to katabatic wind effects.
    Its very still outside here tonight so probably he should be colder again.

Although the katabatic wind does affect low lying areas surrrounding mountains,mountains do create there own weather.For instance there is a gentle southerly wind atm over here in the east of the country,there is a typical fohn affect happening to the south of you over sth wicklow mtns.

I dont know the topography where you are but you are located within or surrounded by mtns.Under the clear skies you will experience the heat radiating out of your area and if a fohn does happen the temps are increased by air descending rapidly and heating as it does so.It can be why you have erractic temps now and again and will be different in location to location even if a town down the road is experiencing higher or lower temps.Also the orographic lift can be described by the stratus and altostratus you see too.Very interesting read in the last 24hrs you and artictree experiencing different weather in a close enough proximity.Now this sounds like a fohn happening there but there are other temp variations in weather too.

Where i am its either cold or mild with uniform temps.Boring.

This morning again driving over the reservoir temp was 3 degrees lower than my house - only 1 mile away but I'm 30 mtrs higher on a gently sloping hill. I was at +3.0 and it was 0.0 at this spot, all frosty, misty and white.

Here's the exact spot:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&z=18&ll=53.09097,-6.195999&spn=0.00153,0.004978&t=k&om=1

Currently +1.7 degrees but again fluctauting wildly.

A

Nice post Snowbie.

I think artictree is on a hillside and I'm in a valley so not surprised, in pretty still conditions like now - even though he's only a few miles away, that the temp difference is a couple of degrees.
    There's a place about halfway between Annamoe and Roundwood that's always .5 to 1.5 degrees colder than here on the car thermometer and I honestly cannot explain it but come spring/summer I'm darn well going to have a walk around the area and try to understand it :).
    Tis fascinating stuff. Artictree's about 25 meters higher than me and a lot more exposed, I'm really looking forward to hopefully comparing snow depths later this winter :)

Realtively mild here too with no sign of frost.. and some stratus muck floating about;)

Down with stratus muck I say!! :)

Too high to put in the low temp thread but OMG 7.5c and rising.All sheltered frost has melted away.This high pressure is situated in the wrong place.Its now bringing up mid level moisture from a warmer direction interacting with a cooler land forming as a/stratus or muck as we know it now.

7.6c:(

Totally frosty and icy here.
    Air frost at half nine.

Temp rising now though-currently 0.9c

• Advertisement

-1.1C here and all frosty.

Suspect though that the stratus arriving and raising temps is only a matter of time if Tristrame to the south of me is getting raising temps.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement