Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Today was certainly not as perfect as yesterday but overall it was another brilliant day. The early morning started completely sunny like every other day this week, then at around 8am I noticed some very low cloud/fog coming in from the east and then it went from 100% clear skies to a thick blanket of low cloud overhead in a matter of minutes. This was very unexpected (not forecast at all) and the low cloud didn't burn off fully until around midday. This obviously had a knock on effect on the temps for the rest of the day and so it didn't feel as warm as yesterday-there was also a stronger breeze today which felt colder.
    Completely blue skies for the rest of the day but in the mid-afternoon I noticed some towering cb's off to the south east near the Wicklow mts which was also unexpected.
    Does anyone know a good site for high res satellite images over Ireland because I want to see what those cb's look like from above. (the link I usually use isn't working anymore:http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Stunning day down here, hardly any wind, wall to wall blue skies and temps in the early 20s away from the coast.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

rc28 wrote:
    (the link I usually use isn't working anymore:http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg)
    There is a problem with the receiver station.Should be back online soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Nice and sunny day here again, we should finally get some of the stuff the west have been having tomorrow if the seabreeze doesn't kick off too fast. Just checked and the inside temp(upstairs) peaked at a blistering 33C today at 2pm. Glad i wasn't here during that:p before falling became to the normal 24C by 4pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A cold night with a moderate frost.

Min of 0.3C is my 4th lowest May min on record (1999) and 2nd lowest grass min with -4.6C, just behind all time low of -4.9C

Not a cloud to be seen, temp starting to rise quickly. Going to be a high range today, and will break the record for May. And if I get 20C today, it would be 2nd highest range on record. We'll have to see if see breee is cancelled out for that.

• Advertisement

yeah it was down to 2.8c this morning at 550am here.
    I sincerely hope that wasnt enough for a ground frost (I didnt see any on the ground here at 7am) as my maize has peeped up about 2 inches or so.
    maize does not like frost.

My high temp here today was 21.3c which makes today one of the warmest so far this year. Atm it is 18.5c and even though the sun is being almost completely filtered by high level haze there is still a pleasant warmth in the air.

Feels like the tropics here.Very heavy even without the sun.

Tristrame wrote:
    yeah it was down to 2.8c this morning at 550am here.
    I sincerely hope that wasnt enough for a ground frost (I didnt see any on the ground here at 7am) as my maize has peeped up about 2 inches or so.
    maize does not like frost.

The frost was very visible, but mainly on grass, not on earth. I have maize, spuds etc in vegetable patch and they escaped, but some volunteer spuds beside grass was black.

Total contrast tonight, with temp currently 14.5C and rising!
    Max today 18.1 giving a diurnal range of 17.9C as the official min was 0.2C. This range is easoly highest in my records for May and 4th highest for any month.

Maxed out at 19.6C here today and is currently 15.7C. The wind is picking up a bit for the first time in ages, gust of 37km/hr right now, pretty pathetic in terms of gusts but it sounds strange to here it gusting outside again

• Advertisement

That wind is fanning a huge bracken/gorse fire on Dunran (west of Newcastle, south of Newtown). There is forestry surrounding this hill. Hope all inc sheep are safe.

Temp up to 14.8C

I was wondering when there would be gorse fires in the mts again as there was such little humidity over the past week so things really would have fries out.
    There's something very pleasant about the air this evening- it actually feels warm and there is a refreshing breeze blowing. It reminds me of a midsummer night somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Mothman wrote:
    That wind is fanning a huge bracken/gorse fire on Dunran (west of Newcastle, south of Newtown). There is forestry surrounding this hill. Hope all inc sheep are safe.

Temp up to 14.8C

Hi Mothman, where's Dunran?, can't find it on the map, I assume you can see it from Ashford given your description, I've a pretty good view south but cant see any fires from my vantage point.

Did you see them on a spin in the car?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Was out at the fireworks display tonight and it was very warm, felt warmer tonight than it did earlier today. very humid. it threatened to rain but luckily id didn't

Longfield wrote:
    Hi Mothman, where's Dunran?, can't find it on the map, I assume you can see it from Ashford given your description, I've a pretty good view south but cant see any fires from my vantage point.

Did you see them on a spin in the car?

Saw it from home. It looked like the whole hill was lit up.

Grid Ref O2501 was the area alight. Half way between reservoir and coast. Its the hill north of Ballyduff on the Roundwood/Ashford road.
    Anyway the show is over.

Was still smoke this morning, but got a look through bins this afternoon, and it looks like the forestry escaped.

Had a few spots rain during afternoon following 0.1mm last night. Just started raining again now.

Wow, a semi moderate shower!!, haven't seen proper rain in a while.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Wow, a semi moderate shower!!, haven't seen proper rain in a while.

Indeed, it almost gave a mm.

Incredible cloud definition at moment.
    With streaky cirrus, lovely white cumulus, cb to the south and other bits and pieces that I don't know what they're called :)

Cold and wet!

Mike.

Nice little downpour 10mins ago.Sun back out and dryin up quickly again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Feels quite cool out there today. Overcast.

• Advertisement

Spit and spots of rain here, can see proper rain to the south of me but doesnt seem to be advancing at any great rate.

Some very very heavy falls of rain here in last hour:)
    12.5c

Whoa, in the last 10min it turned really torrential with some minor flash flooding. A big bright clearance approaching fast from the west now.

Had a short bout here with 1.3mm with a rainrate of 16.8mm/hr

Had some light drizzle here this evening but nothing else, seems the heavy stuff was a bit to the north :(

Mothman did you see any significant rain?, its been a long while since there has been been proper moderate rain here , never mind heavy or prolonged.

Only 2.8mm here and most of that fell in little bursts between 6 and 7pm prior to the clearance.
    I'd say we had less than an hour in total for the whole day in which it was raining here.

I thought the floods of bangladesh were coming with the hirlam graphics Met Eireann had the other night...

Damp and dank and cold by recent standards but average by normal early May standards!

Mike.

Longfield wrote:
    Mothman did you see any significant rain?, its been a long while since there has been been proper moderate rain here , never mind heavy or prolonged.
    GFS has been going for some heavy showers and longer periods of heavy thundery rain on Saturday and Sunday but as usual it will probably back away from this as we draw nearer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Roasting in central Illinois. Hit around 30C today with the humidity level way up there! Next few days are very similar.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement