Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Was driving down to Ashford at 18:30 and the rain was absolutely bucketing down (at killiskey - you know it Mothman?). Very localised though, after a mile or two it had stopped.

Was then in Arklow for the evening and the sun was out but the ground was very wet.

I recorded 4.32mm of rain today but my rain guage doesn't seem very accurate and there are also lots of trees around it....

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

arctictree wrote:
    Was driving down to Ashford at 18:30 and the rain was absolutely bucketing down (at killiskey - you know it Mothman?). Very localised though, after a mile or two it had stopped.

A
    Killiskey is only 2 miles away as the crow flies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very pleasant after a damp enough start.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Lovely morning and now have a sea breeze that has kicked in.Mist and low cloud around not amounting to much.
    Temp fell 1.2c in last 15 mins.

Edit:Blanket of mist has now rolled in off the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I saw that come in earlier, it looks more like a dust storm than a blanket of mist. It has a strange creamy yellow colour. Still fine and sunny here. The mist starts at about Shankill by the looks of it and obviously continues a fair few miles up th coast. 16C here atm.
    Edit: I spoke to soon, the yellowy low cloud/mist is approaching fast from the south-east now, bye bye sun:(. Just looking at it it's moving amazingly fast, fasted clouds i think i've ever seen. Looks more like a timelapse rather than just looking at the sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

It feels much warmer today but it's kind of annoying that where I am is just on the border between clear blue skies to the east and convection cloud to my west and over us which is blocking the sun most of the time.
    18.9c under cloud

Quite sunny but humid.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Foggy, dull and drizzly with a cool breeze, feels more like a January day than a June one.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Longfield wrote:
    Foggy, dull and drizzly with a cool breeze, feels more like a January day than a June one.

Like this all day :(

Foggy and drizzly here all day - starting to come down heavier now.

Looks like some heavy rain on the cards for tonight coming up from the south.

A

• Advertisement

Same here all day too, just have to think of the good weather to come this week:D
    arctictree wrote:

Looks like some heavy rain on the cards for tonight coming up from the south.

A
    Yup, there's a thread on it here if anyone's interested. It's a bit too complex for me but i thought someone may be interested:)
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13160&posts=14

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

trogdor wrote:
    Same here all day too, just have to think of the good weather to come this week:D

Yup, there's a thread on it here if anyone's interested. It's a bit too complex for me but i thought someone may be interested:)
    http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=13160&posts=14

Thanks Trogdar, now if I knew what an "entrance zone" was I'd be set.
    I dabble in this stuff but that conversation is way above my level unfortunately :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This chap explains it a bit in laymans terms as it can get.Thereafter it becomes very technical to explain.Other terms are frontogenesis or jet streaks.
    its a region where part of the Jetstream flow accelerates and 'piles up' at the front 'exit'. This causes some rotation at 'entrance' and 'exit' regions of the jet effectively forcing lower level air to rise beneath these regions due to pressure changes. If air is already bouyant in those regions, it becomes more so.
    But also in this case they are refering to rotation between two pressure gradients resulting in enhancment of rain due to convection beneath the part of the jet and possible TS.

In a word WET
    In 2 words WET WET
    In 3 words WE....

Oh no, I'm going to have Marti Pellow in my head all day :eek:

The ducks, grebes, dragonflies, vegetables, trees, ponds etc are all happy and I'm happy for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Must be raining for nearly 24 hrs in North Dublin now. Anyone have any measurements for rainfall in north Dublin (I live in Glasnevin next to met office)

Wow

25.7mm so far since midnight and rising-thats over an inch already folks! and it's still lashing!

This could be a record breaking day if it rains like this to early afternoon.
    My previous wettest day was 48mm approx in late october.

28.4mm since midnight so far.Been steady rain since about 1:30am and has not eased up.Very persistant is the word id use.

My AWS has underrecorded today. Total now above 30mm since just before midnight, whereas AWS has recorded 24mm

The 24rs to 10am saw 26.0mm, 3rd wettest June day in my records. Quite a bit behind the 39.4mm recorded 29th June 2003.
    Don't know about 00-24hr figures.

Damp. Whens this crap gonna clear?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

A lot of small floods on roads in the usual places. Rain was very heavy all morning but I think it's easing now.

• Advertisement

31.5mm now and rising

Still raining but it's eased off a good bit on earlier.

23.9mm so far today here, not sure whether it's underrecording or there's a shadow off the mountains but it's probably the later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I got all excited there for a minute when I thought it stopped raining, but it's just coming down more gently than before :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Rain has given way to a light drizzle now in carlow, roads are well flooded through, ah well at least the farmers will be happy and tomorrow is to be a nice day.

I've recorded 39.12mm of rain today. Thats more than April and May combined. Starting to ease off now....

31.8mm basically in a 12hr peroid since it first began to rain at 1:30am this morning.Again not very heavy rain but persistant nonetheless.Heaviest rain recorded between 9am and 10am where 7mm fell in an hour.12mm is my max for 1hr peroid in a TS 2 yrs ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Finally stopped raining here. I've little idea of how long it's been raining for, but I think it started early last night. Given by the looks of the radar, there must have been some quantity of rain all along the east coast.

Now 33.8mm and seems like its stopping now.

37.9mm since an hour before midnight. It has just cleared.

Lake is full, looks like there may be an apple crop afterall.

On another note, Longfield is going to be inundating us with all sorts of data before too long ;):)

• Advertisement

In a 24hr peroid from first drop yesterday at 17:30,
    39.6mm of rain fell,which is my highest 24hr spell total to date.
    And also from midnight (when totals reset) 33.8mm is my highest total from midnight to midnight.Seems like rain has finally cleared so safe to post total for the day.Edit if need.

A good drop of rain for the agricultural lads aswell as for my plants etc.
    With a sunny warmish week on the cards i suspect very good growth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement