Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

lots of showers with very little in the way of dryness in between varying from light rain to sometimes heavy rain

peak rain rate was 11.9mm at nearly 10am

total since midnight 8.6mm
    june total so far 92.3mm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fog's come down here (see the webcam on my site ;) ).
    Drizzly rain off an on all day , current total 20.3mm, current temp 12.9°C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I recorded 15.75mm today. Seems we are getting much more than the stations in Bray, Ashford and Arklow. That would seem to concur with the rainfall map of Ireland: http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp

11.2c ATM.

BTW - Looks like we are in for some unseasonably cold weather at the weekend. Winds straight down from the Arctic...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yep,you provided a clear example of mountainous areas always receive higher precip than sea level.This is where wind creates orographic lift by hilly/mountainous locations and rains far heavier or more persistent than lower elevations.Also precip on doppler is under reading due to interference of signal due to mtns.

4.8mm today with persistant drizzle.

arctictree wrote:
    I recorded 15.75mm today. Seems we are getting much more than the stations in Bray, Ashford and Arklow. That would seem to concur with the rainfall map of Ireland: http://www.met.ie/climate/rainfall.asp
    Yup from here I could see the wicklow mts and even croghan nearby covered in black whilst the sun came out here yesterday evening.
    The suns out again this morning!
    Those were the same circulating showers you got, they just intensified as they headed inland over you.

That said tuesdays thunderstorms and rain behaved differently probably because it took a more south to north track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Had a burst of very heavy rain lasting about 10-15mins a while ago. 15.5c and completely overcast.

After another period of heavy rain the sun broke through the clouds for a few moments and temp is now up to 17c.

Some pretty heavy rain at work today, would estimate around the 30-40mm/hr rate, but nothing like that here, roads were almost dry by the time I got home.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Felt very tropical this morning here and muggy all day as for the evening too despite the showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bright start as there was yesterday, will it last? (Please!)

Mike.

• Advertisement

Be less showery day Mike but you cant rule them out.

Lovely morning here temp up to 16.3c atm with a land breeze.Partly cloudy with some cumulus floating about.

Took a spin over to Blessington this morning, plenty of showers going already in the Wicklow mountains, very nice with interspersed sunshine.
    Around every corner seemed to be a wandering sheep though, had to be careful.

Cloud built up pretty quickly but no real suggestion of rain.

Mike.

Nearly hit a sheep up there years ago on my bike near the sally gap,road just dipped and he was standing in the depression in the middle of the road.He looked like :eek: and i looked like :eek: and missed him by inches.

Light snow covering up there at the time and he was camoflaged on the road.:D

Raining slightly now from a band of showers that moved down for the NW

Got absolutely soaked through while out riding my horse just there, the rain was really torrential for about 5mins.

Lashed there 2.5mm fell in less than a few mins max rain rate of 51.8mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Been tropical here for the last few days now!

Sudden torrential downpours, another one there. The amount of rain that falls in those short showers is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Very heavy rain here now; just like yesterday afternoon! Temperatures dropped back from 17C to 12C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

If a foreign person asks you how often it rains in Ireland, i guess the proper answer is " yesterday, today and tomorrow" and that can be said anytime in summer.

The sad fact is We are lucky if we get great weather here in Ireland, Luck is what we need to get sunshine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain yet again almost all day, over the past 2 weeks its becoming increaseinly difficult to find a dry moment to go outside for an hour or 2. Dont think Ive seen a Summer quite so bad/wet in at least 10 years, everyone in our area is moaning how bad the summer is, I hope it gets better soon:)

• Advertisement

The rain seems to have stayed north of here, dry day so far.

the pressure chart outlook is grim

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/avnpanel1.html

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's coming down in buckets in N Louth the last coupla hours...where I live shouldn't be prone to flooding but I'm keeping an eye out anyway, after what went on in the north the other week

No, I think this is a proper Irish summer and because we've been spoiled in recent years we have come to expect sun and warmth.

There will be reports of moving statues soon.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damp and misty now after another day of rain yet again, everyone walking about in their January gear, Irish Summers are never ment to be great and we've had good summer over past few years but this summer is bad even by winter standards! It just hasnt stopped raining properly in 2 weeks, the garden is swamp like I havent seen it like that in many a year.

mike65 wrote:
    There will be reports of moving statues soon.

Mike.
    :D
    Lol, what year did that happen in, was it sometime in the 80's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I dunno....is everyone forgetting about the glorious 6 weeks we had from Patrick's day on?

Wertz wrote:
    I dunno....is everyone forgetting about the glorious 6 weeks we had from Patrick's day on?
    Yes it seems that way, and also the first week and a half of this month when people were doing the lc and jc in typical exam weather (25c and sunny)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

Been tropical here for the last few days now!

Sudden torrential downpours, another one there. The amount of rain that falls in those short showers is amazing!

I don't know about amazing, but it lessens the chance of drought anyhow:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement