Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bright and cool all day. Cardboard tonight (for the car!)

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep cardboard night tonight for sure I think.
    Currently 6.8°C and falling fast.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

10.7C here, hardly a breeze out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

6.3c here ATM. Will go much colder tonight I think.

Just ordered a new remote temperature sensor for my weather station. Have been getting some strange fluctuating readings recently...

A

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Min of 4.8 last night (about 7am); max today 14.4; currently 5.9.

• Advertisement

Last night/this morning low of 2.6c at 8.07am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

First visible frost at home of season with grass temp down to -3.0C, air min +1.7C.
    Clear sky apart from numerous contrails

Drove to Dublin Airport at 5am this morning.

Was 2c at my house. 0c at the frost pocket over the roundwood resevoir. 5c at the Toll Bridge. There was ice on the cars at the car park in Dublin Airport. My weather station is currently reading 22.3c!! Looks like the thermometer is fecked. Has this happened to anyone else? A new one is on the way....

A

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I ve 3 thermo's VP2, stevenson screened and an unsheilded and with cold nights like last night the vp2 thermo is falling very slowly against the other two.Daylit hours and no problem.
    For instance VP2 is reading 2c higher than the other thermo's but catches up later on in the night with the other thermo's and reads to within a degree of them.

Standing in the back last night and i know it wasnt 9c(VP2) and checked the other thermo's and where reading 6.8c
    Probably needs a cleaning at this stage.
    Arctictree try checking if your thermo is exposed to sunlight in some way.

VP2 temp min 5.4c and both other thermo's 4.4c.

Snowbie wrote: »

The problem is that it hasn't been moved in 9 months, so if it was a sunlight problem, maybe I would have seen it at the start. The device seems to be well shielded anyway. I wonder why the readings have suddenly gone so high!? Maybe something has crawled in beside the sensor!! Tried the usual, replaced batteries, reset the device etc but still no joy.

A

• Advertisement

arctictree, are you sure the rooster isnt playing mind games with you? ;)

Had an interesting drive to work this morning. Was cool and frosty here with a temp of about 1°C, as there are roadworks on the Roundwood road decided to go to the N11 via Ashford instead. On the way passed though a misty patch where the car thermometer dipped to -2°C, pretty big variance all over - by the time i was on the N11 that had shot up to 5°C.
    There's often big variance on my drive into work, but that was a pretty cool one and my first subzero one in a long while :)

Not going to be as cold tonight but great to have had several frosty nights under the belt before November this year!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Brurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! This morning but it the fog was'nt as bad as it could have been and after about 10 am was a glorious day which then quietly clouded over in the afternoon.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Min of 2.7 last night; max today 16.8; currently 10.5. Didn't notice any frost on cars or grass here this morning but as I drove towards the city centre there was frost on the grass and on some cars along the Tolka valley between Glasnevin and Drumcondra!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

it's getting cold, I got the hot water bottle out last night

Cloudy start, broke around midday near the coast but dull further inland.

Mike.

Nice day with about 4-5 octas throughout .
    Currently cloud melting away and temperature falling fast. Temp 7.9°C and falling rapidly, could be a frosty one if the cloud stays aways tonight.

Snowbie wrote: »
    I ve 3 thermo's VP2, stevenson screened and an unsheilded and with cold nights like last night the vp2 thermo is falling very slowly against the other two.Daylit hours and no problem.
    For instance VP2 is reading 2c higher than the other thermo's but catches up later on in the night with the other thermo's and reads to within a degree of them.

Standing in the back last night and i know it wasnt 9c(VP2) and checked the other thermo's and where reading 6.8c
    Probably needs a cleaning at this stage.

VP2 temp min 5.4c and both other thermo's 4.4c.

That's exactly why I leave both batteries in my aspirated Vantage. The manual says leave one for daytime only operation and two for night and day.
    However at night we get our lowest temperatures here mostly when the air is still - i.e exactly when you need a fan!
    Makes me wonder just how accurate conventional Stevenson screens air at night in still clear conditions come to think of it.

I think your spot on there Longfield,i think the 24hr fan would have suit me better.It is noticeably colder when air is still and the two other thermos read this correctly.Its like the radiation sheild is blocking some air entering the chamber on the calmest of nights.No problem when it is windy or even a slight breeze,it reads much closely to seperate thermos.

Anyway have to check it tomorrow to see if there is any bugs or stuff clogged or nestled on sensor etc too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Surrey Snow

Currently clear and still.

Current temperature @ 22.35 = +4.7C

Pressure = 1035 hPa

SS

Snowbie, just checked out Irlweather.com, its 10°C there?, seems like a big varience, is about 4°C here right now.

• Advertisement

Brrr.......just back from a walk, grand night out there, pretty cold though. Currently 7.3c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Falling very slowly atm here, down to 6.7C now, Very light WSW winds.

5c here at the moment according to the my trusty mercury thermo and also on the car thermo. My weather station is quoting 12.3c! Luckily, the new thermometer has arrived and I'll pick it up at the post office tomorrow.
    Longfield wrote: »
    Snowbie, just checked out Irlweather.com, its 10°C there?, seems like a big varience, is about 4°C here right now.

To confirm this, I just drove from Finglas where it was 10c!
    7C in Kilmac and 5c here.

BTW - Looks like we are in for some easterly weather from next week. Its hard to call how that will turn out here in the east. Could be fine weather or cold and foggy....

A

arctictree wrote: »
    To confirm this, I just drove from Finglas where it was 10c!
    7C in Kilmac and 5c here.
    A

There's some very big variences outside near you A, the road to Ashford is full of frost pockets.

I bet its already close to zero near your area tonight.

Currently clear and still here in NW Surrey.

Current temperature @ 00.50 = +4.2C

Pressure = 1036 hPa (steady)

Cheers

SS

Longfield wrote: »
    I have been watching this for awhile now,comparing my temps to yours and arctictree and mothman/trogdor,dub AP.
    You be naturally 1.5c colder than here due to altitude,the AP is 1c colder with their altitude and further inland.With my heat island i am getting close to say its nearly 0.75c greater than the AP again.So AP is 1.75c colder than here,so you be nearly 3c colder than here when in calm conditions.

Right now you are at 3.5c im reading 7.9c(VP),other two thermos are at 6.5c which feels about right from standing outside(its colder than what the vp thermo is saying it is).Again on the still nights i register this.The VP sensor will however catch up to this later on in the night without the wind entering the chamber with a gradual cool down(is so why the 24hr fan comes into play,sucks the air in and should bring it inline with other thermos).

So with a brisk cold wind my heat island is cleared to some extent and the vp sensor reads what other two thermos are reading due to air entering the chamber and the AP is 1c colder compared to 1.75c when calm.I have noticed this for awhile now and will put it to the test during the colder spells.Meanwhile i will check for bugs and other goo tomorrow restricting airflow.

Mixed bag, mild but the cloud comes and goes in fairly big lumps.

Mike.

A beautiful Autumn day here in Surrey.

Currently clear skies and calm.

Current temperature @ 6.45pm = +7.2c

Pressure = 1034 hPa (steady)

Enjoy your evening! ;)

SS

OK - Got my new temp sensor connected to my website. Looks fairly accurate. 10.7c at the moment.

I took apart my weather station today and cant find anything wrong with the temp sensor. Just a faulty device I think.

BTW - i ordered the new sensor from www.ukweathershop.co.uk on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. Thats pretty fast from the UK!

A

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »

BTW - i ordered the new sensor from www.ukweathershop.co.uk on Wednesday and it arrived on Friday. Thats pretty fast from the UK!

I ordered my weather station from the same place, very quick shipping too, I was pleased with them.

Not 'that' bad a day out, dry anyway. Currently 11.9c and a S'ly wind blowing, gusts of 3 to 7mph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement