Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like another fairly intense area precip. going to head into the east coast later tonight or in the early hours.

Temps dropping quite nicely now - what are the chances of the un-mentionable!?! Maybe 'hill snow'? Any takers?

Incidentally, just to add to Trogdor's reporting, recorded 8.1mm here since midnight and 42.6mm since Saturday - so your rain bucket might not be that far off the mark - although having said that, my bucket is little sheltered from anything from the east.

Also just to add - according to my records, pressue fell below 1000mb (9am) on Sunday morning last (18th) for the first time since August 15th (4pm) - that's over 3 months!!! - this has to be some sort of record for these parts - particularly given the time of year. Anybody else have similar records or know of any historical similarity?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Just to pick up on that,my lowest ever recorded pressure was nearly this time last year (23rd Nov)at 968.1mb in all that zonal flow we had throughout that winter and since August it has only fallen below the 1000mb mark:eek:.Some difference.Hardly got above 1000mb last winter.

A total of 0.3mm fell since midnight.Showers had missed here and passed to my north and south. The total came from a light shower at lunch time today.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Also just to add - according to my records, pressue fell below 1000mb (9am) on Sunday morning last (18th) for the first time since August 15th (4pm)

I had noticed that too, however my station was only up and running from August 16th this year so Sunday was the first time in my records that the pressure fell below 1000mb and I did think to myself that seemed a bit strange.

Currently 2.3c here, it was down to 1.9c 10-15 mins ago but now rising again. DP 1.7c, pressure 1001.5 falling slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

nemonoid wrote: »
    Currently 2.3c here, it was down to 1.9c 10-15 mins ago but now rising again. DP 1.7c, pressure 1001.5 falling slowly.

Thats strange, you are reading a good 5c less than stations nearer the coast. Are there clear skies there? The latest report from casement confirms your readings : http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

A

Totally overcast here and temp has risen through the evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

5.6c N'ly breeze and cloudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

arctictree wrote: »
    Thats strange, you are reading a good 5c less than stations nearer the coast. Are there clear skies there? The latest report from casement confirms your readings : http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

The sky was pretty much clear earlier, clouded over now and starting to get bit misty too. Temp now back up to 3.6c.

My back garden also backs onto Citywest golf course and further on is pretty much open fields straight up Verschoyles Hill. Would this influence the temp a bit too as I'm often 0.5-1c colder than Casement, though I am around 50m higher I think.

Edit: Just had a short shower pass through 15 mins ago, rain stopped again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Paddy.1

Current Conditions for Galway East.

Partly Cloudy. Light to Moderate E Breeze. Quite Cool.

4.4c / 91% rh

1002.1 falling slowly.

Today's Max: 8.4c.

Nothing of note weatherwise in this part of the west today. A lot of haze which gave the mostly cloudy conditions a strange blue tint. It looked, rather than felt, wintry. It was also very damp, with everything dripping wet, even though there was no rain.
    Strange in itself I suppose..:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sweet Baby Jesus - 6.00am Met E Reports:

BELMULLET RAIN SHOWER 80.0mm
    CLAREMORRIS(A) n/a 70.0mm

Me thinks a malfunction somewhere but can you imagine!

Dry here this morning in south wicklow for a change unlike North Wicklow where like Dublin,the AA are talking about road surface flooding.
    Thats all missed us thankfully and the sun is out.

• Advertisement

Rain has stopped and now I see blue sky! Hope thats the murky weather out of the way. Wind has now turned NW and temp is steady at 6.1, down from 6.7 earlier....

A

Not too much rain and defo no flooding around these parts this morning.
    Like arctictree the wind has swung NNW and temp is stuck at 8.5c and is partly cloudy out.A bit of a bite in the wind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Started dull and dry, the cloud has been attempting to lift and break, it might do so yet. Cold.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Cavan - dull this morning but the sun is shining since beautiful day for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Suddenly got very cold here, im unsure of the temperature however... anyone notice this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

trogdor wrote: »
    7.1mm here today
    37.9mm since Saturday*, The heavy rain woke me up last night and i couldn't help thinking how much snow we'd have in a proper Easterly.
    *Although i think my rain bucket might be a blocked or something I'm going to have a look at it tomorrow. The max rain rate it recorded for today was 0.8mm/hr which is definitely wrong.
    The culprit.....rock hard bird shít, real nice. The bucket was filling up and there must've been a tiny hole that allowed the water to then very slowly filter through. I gave the bucket a good spraying with the hose on full power and it shifted the lot so it 's fine again now.
    Suddenly got very cold here, im unsure of the temperature however... anyone notice this?

It's started to drop away here but not too fast. Currently 8.0C was just out and it was freezin though

7.7c and just falling off within the last 15mins

Edit:snow forecast symbol has reappeared on console;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote: »
    7.7c and just falling off within the last 15mins

Edit:snow forecast symbol has reappeared on console;)

Ditto:D, temp 7.6C and dew point 4.4C

Clear here, breezy, temp 4.2c

The UKMO radar is showing significant activity over Ulster:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

met.ie is showing nothing:

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

I wonder whats going on there?!!

A

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Clear here, breezy, temp 4.2c

The UKMO radar is showing significant activity over Ulster:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/index.html

I wonder whats going on there?!!

A
    It's bloody wet and cold.

• Advertisement

Current conditions for Co Galway.

Partly Cloudy. Occasional Light to Moderate Showers. Nippy.

5.7c / 90% rh

1004.9 mb rising slowly

Today's Max: 9.2c..

Today started very sunny and fresh. It remained mostly sunny throughout the day. A few light showers broke out in early afternoon, with a brief downpour towards evening. Still the odd light one passing now and again, with temps rising to 5c as they pass, and down to 2c inbetween.
    At least there is some sort of temperature fluctuation today, as oppossed to the last couple of days where they stagnated at around 6/7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Skies clearing a bit there, still about 4 octas coverage and a slight breeze. Temp dropped to 4.1°C now. If skies clear and wind stays down will get an air frost tonight for sure.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Not as sunny or as cold as this time yesterday morning. In fact, rather drab conditions with occasional light showers continuing.

5.6c / 92% rh

1008.4 rising steadily.

Seems to be mild enough here today. 7.3c ATM and the North Westerly is picking up...

Seems to be mild enough here today. 7.3c ATM and the North Westerly is picking up...
    Cold air is expected down over here from 1500 onwards.Temps will start to fall quick from then id expect,well according to 850mb temps so air temps should follow.

Winds still NW atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bright and chilly.

Mike.

From a winter weather perspective,it's a relatively mild 6.5c
    Just had the side of a coastal shower pass through,it looked heavy towards the east but delivered an unregistered few drops here ie a little more than enough to wet a window.
    It was fighting a NW wind to get in.

4.4c here at the moment and seems to be dropping quick. Dont know how low it will go as it is overcast now and I can see small drops of rain coming down...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

6.3c here, had a short shower about 30mins back. A N'ly wind blowing out there that'd 'cut the horns off a snail' :p. Dew point 3.7c and windchill of 4.2c

• Advertisement

6.2c and cloudy but i can see the clearing slot to my north now.Wind picked up but still NW.

EDIT:A train of heavy showers moving south down the Irish sea.That SW tip of Wales always does well in setups like this and espeically when its more wintry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement