Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Now at 0.0c here was down to -0.6 an hour ago but now gradually rising.

Got to -1.4c a moment ago.
    now -1.2c

Wet bulb is -2c

• Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Cirrus uncinus here, pretty much total coverage. Temps will fall a bit from here but not much. Currently -2.4°C, i'm guesing -2.8°C will be as far as it goes tonight. Not bad for November!!
    Been a nice little cold spell.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

not a sign of cloud down here longfield.
    -1.4c again and quite a hard sheet of frost on the car.

-1.5c
    DP -3.7c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I think I have a foehn wind :confused:

+0.6C. Did dip below freezing though.
    DP -3C

Out of time to see really low. Usually my lowest temps are in calm conditions. There is too much of a breeze so the cold air is not pooling..

Longfield, I don't use a FARS unit. My Dad does and uses one battery.
    RE: FARS vs none, should really be a thread in its own right.
    (FARS = Fan aspirated radiation shield)

-1.6c now

Given that it's flat calm and theres no cloud,this could go further!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Back to -0.2c again and DP of -1.7c

I'm still dropping, -2.9°C here so far, very suprised its still falling like this.

I'm more surprised at your temps Mothman, I'm wondering if the source air is direct from the north that you are getting some higher heat island from Dublin pushed south or a winter sea breeze effect, it is odd.
    I dont understand why the difference tonight is so different to the normal clear conditions between you and myself.

Then again maybe there is a kind of foehn wind effect, its totally still here.
    Tis very interesting have to say.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

The answer is simple longfield.
    Mothman has a little breeze tonight sometimes reaching 9mph which is preventing the usual frost pocket cold pooling.
    If I had that tonight,even under clear skies I'd be 1 or 2 c at least above freezing.

• Advertisement

Despite the westerly, I'm getting some maritime influence. I am only one mile from sea.
    If the wind dropped calm, temp would fall and i could still see -2 or so, but I think I'm out of time ahead of the front.

I've just been out to check screen.
    Min -1.1C, grass min -6.4C. The grass, 2nd lowest on record for November. The air min not as low as I recorded on the 12th.
    The AWS and screen are some 50m apart which goes a long way to explaining differences in readings.

Tristrame wrote: »
    The answer is simple longfield.
    Mothman has a little breeze tonight sometimes reaching 9mph which is preventing the usual frost pocket cold pooling.
    If I had that tonight,even under clear skies I'd be 1 or 2 c at least above freezing.

And note my wind reading is from 5m height and not the usual 10m. That anemomter jammed earlier. (pesky earwigs or spider :mad: )
    So add one or 2 mph for 10m breeze which is having an influence at ground level.

Temp plumeting now, -0.2C

-1.8c here now
    dp -4c

No sympathy Mothman, about time I got a lower min than you :p

-1.8c here now
    dp -4c

How far from the sea are you Tristrame?

According to GPS 2 miles longfield which isn't much.
    Arklow town is usually 1c higher in temp on the jeep thermometer due to the heat island effect and the coast but I'd imagine,its sub zero tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Currently -1.2c here, DP -2.5c.

I've no idea if temp is dropping or rising as I've just got home and a drive went in my server and it then crashed trying to rebuild the array so I've no data logged from around 3:30pm though it was 3.6c then with a DP of -0.6.

Spent the day on the Dart with the wife (she's been here two years and had never been to Howth or Bray!). Was a pretty nice day all in all, a little bit of sun and not too bad out of the breeze, but in Howth that breeze coming in off the sea could have cut you in half.

Could of swore I seen a guy scraping frost off his car around 7pm in Bray though I doubt it was below freezing then.

nemonoid wrote: »
    Could of swore I seen a guy scraping frost off his car around 7pm in Bray though I doubt it was below freezing then.
    It's been below freezing here in southeast wicklow since around 6pm,so it's highly probable.
    Trogdor will know.

Yay -3.1°C here now, thats not bad for January never mind November, brillo stuff.

Must resist urge to run around outside, unlikely to get colder than this a handful of times during the next 12 months!

• Advertisement

The air temp may have been above freezing, but the surface temp of car was probably as low -5C and I'd be surprised if there wasn't frost.

Note about 10 posts back, I reported -6.4C on grass with air min at -1.1C. 5C difference between air temp and grass temp 1.2m below. No wonder ones feet feel cold. :eek:

Back to current temp.
    -0.8C Dp-3.4C

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Currently -1.2c here, DP -2.5c.

Nemonoid, am I mistaken or do you have a LaCrosse WS2300 too? Seems we get pretty similar figures, last nights lows were more or less the same, maybe .1c off, here too its currently -1.2c (really after dropping fast in the last 45mins) and DP of -2.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Temperature down to -2.4c in the back yard now. Ice cold.:D

Mothman, why do you have a breeze tonight?

reached -1.9c at 906pm
    Now -1.4c
    DP -3.6c

Longfield wrote: »
    Mothman, why do you have a breeze tonight?
    I'm starting to pick up a slight breeze here too now.
    1 to 3mph NW

The lowest on the NRA table is baltinglass in SW wicklow at -3.4c
    The Arklow bypass one about a half mile from here pretty much tallies with my own aws at -1.8c for 9pm

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

It's been below freezing here in southeast wicklow since around 6pm,so it's highly probable.
    Trogdor will know.
    Only gone below zero here in the last half hour but there's been a frost for a good while alright, probably before 7. Now -0.3C, dp -3.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw the 9.30 forcast and it looks like its as cold as its going to get about now.

Mike.

• Advertisement

All breezes here are zero, no gusts, no nothing. I'm in the lee of Scarr and am very shelted from some directions.
    Maybe that why myself and Arctictree have cooled so fast this evening in this area.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement