Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

yeah got that here roundabout the same time
    I can see up the mountains now.
    The snowline appears to have rose to about 1800 feet or so.
    Can see all of lugaquilla at the moment and it looks like its been plastered in snow-very white.
    There is a mountain above aughrim which I can see here too which is just as white, its called croghan moira I think which is somewhere around 2500 asl.
    I can also see croghan mountain, there is some snow on the hill it sits on but the mountain itself and the coillte wood around it is very white, the ground there rises from about a thousand ft asl at the gate to the wood up to just shy of 2000 ft at the end of the lane through the wood.
    It's very popular for walks at times. I've walked up there and drove up ther and you could have rain or sleet at the entrance (1000ft asl ) and by about half way up this would be falling in big flakes of snow.
    Tis a paradise of a place, the howling of the wind and the snow blowing around ya :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Incredible orange colour to SW atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

...but I'd still prefer snow. :(

Currently dry and clearish with very light covering of red hazy cloud. Heavy rain earlier.

Originally posted by Man
    There is a mountain above aughrim which I can see here too which is just as white, its called croghan moira I think which is somewhere around 2500 asl.

Just shy of 2200ft asl

Best I can do for mountains is Carrick mountain at about 1250ft Sun is setting behind it these days. Could see a bit of white on it this morning. The profile of the mountain was quite distinct few minutes with the orange behind it. A nearby hill of just 300ft obscures my westerly view and will cut down on sun recording during Spring and Autumn when the sun sets behind it.

Ooooh a lovely blue skied sunny morning here but very, very cold.
    -3c outside at the moment and the pipes are frozen solid.
    The ice is as solid as I've seen it during this winter so far.
    Oh the difference, a slight breeze coming from inland as opposed to off the sea makes to the teperature.
    Brrrrrr!

• Advertisement

At 7am today Kilkenny had -6.6C and a ground temp of -15.9C! Coldest for 2 years.

Has got above zero here with sun and blue sky. Only got down to -2C overnight here.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

B.r.r.r.r.r.r.r...

It was cold. Really. -4C in Dublin at 8:45 today, allegedly.

We have two heaters here blowing onto us on the desk, and I still feel chilly :(

Sun, Sun , Sun

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

'Twas a very sunny, very cold mornin'.

Turned into a very cloudy, very cold afternoon. Rain might be on the way. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

as i look out the window it looks like a nice cold evening is in store. clear skies, it is really calm and everyone who passes outside looks like they are smoking

• Advertisement

Well my garden thermometer got to the dizzy heights of only plus one degree celcius today.
    It's in the shade, but I bet it wishes it was in the sun...
    The yard here has had ice that didnt melt all day, indeed the ice is as solid as a rock.

Aswell this morning I had to whack a cement block that was keeping a gate open with a sledgehammer to dislodge it from the ground, it was stuck frozen solid,as if it was cemented in.

I spent a good hour, thawing pipes outside with hot water with sucess luckilly.
    I most definitely will be leaving a tap running tonight!!

On a positive note, theres just been another beautifull sunset with clear blue skies and hardly a cloud to be seen.
    And criss crossing the sky are several jet trails :)

Miserable cloudy, rainy evening here. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dont beleive this but the forecasters have predicted really mild weather and guess wot, its snowing outside and its sticking but its VERY light and dont think will come to much. At least ive seen a snow flake in front of my very eyes:)

Wooaahhh, Batten down hatches time. I see 60-70mph mentioned in forecast,...................or should we believe that as well??????
    Meanwhile mild (relatively) and very cloudy.

Wet and miserable out there now since early morning.
    Gas thing is,even though it's mild and raining for the past couple of hours, theres still some hard ice left in the yard here.

Still ice on the lake though the swans have managed to break through most of it. Temp is 10C but barometer is dropping steadily at about 1.5mb/hr. I'd say winds on the way. not raining at moment but quite murky.

miserable old day. could rain at any time :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yesterday was very cold but nice, this morning was horrid - humid, raining windy. Dried up from lunchtime - Dont you love Irish winters?

Mike.

Dull and misty in Mayo this evening.

A good soaking overnight. Quite murky and dare I say "warm" out now. Its 12C with light wind. Pressure has dropped quite low, so winds will probably strengthen.

• Advertisement

ditto , further down the n11, still raining steady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Heavy rain overnight, mild and dull today.

Mike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Cold, Wet 'n Windy.

'Twas all sunny earlier too, didn't last for long though. :(

Got quite windy for a while. Seems to have eased a little now. Not raining atm. Not as warm as it was. Temp got up to 13.8C during the hour of sun, now down to 8C

and 20 miles down the road, it's still very stormy:dunno:

Well I see Rosslare reporting gust of 61 KT (70mph) at 16:00. Gust of 83mph in Wales a bit up the coast from Fishgaurd

yes unfortunately, I dont have a measure here :(

But I can tell you it's not stopped some severe howling and it's blown a bow off a very old oak tree in the last hour and likewise from a large drooping ash.
    Both trees are a couple of hundred years old.

I'd expect powercuts with winds this strong, hasnt happened yet,but me has a generator anyhow.

Incidently I was away for the last serious storm here in october 2002.
    It was localised from what I was told, ie mainly in parts of the East and south east.
    There was no electricity here for three days and no less than six esb poles were flattened in the fields near here.
    lots of shed roof's blew down,tree's of course and chimneys!
    It would have been worse locally than the two Xmas storms of previous years which also did a lot of damage.

Yes that storm in the early hours of Oct 27th 02 was bad. Been recording wind since late 99 and it was the strongest mean speed of 45mph and nearly strongest gust of 71mph. Had a gust of 72 mph back in Feb 2000 I think.

Wind at Rosslare at 17:00 is down, though still blowing a bit.

windy and dull. at least the rain is non existant from what i saw

• Advertisement

Dull, dreary, calm, a little light drizzle. Slightly less mist than yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement