Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

Nice,warm and sunny(not hot...well compared to washington last week that was hot , this is warm)

I still smell thunder, maybe tomorrow,like wine imported from france and moving up through east munster,Leinster and the Irish sea.
    Theres a right crop of them already gathering over south west England as of now and the winds blowing this way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

These thunderstorms better turn up after this build up! :D

Mike.

ps not as hot this afternoon as I expected.

And as I type....
    It's rumbling.
    Started off hotish and sunny and now the ominous black clouds are here

Wow loud Banging now :eek:

Computer OFF!!

We had thunder and lightening at 5.30 am which lasted about 10 mins, it was a few miles away for the most part, nothing since. Dry and largely cloudy so far...

Mike.

Well that went on for over an hour, with lots of forked lightning coming down in straight lines and some heavy rain.
    Interesting the noise from it was continous,non stop and very , very loud.
    It's headed up in the direaction of wicklow town now to annoy mothman-enjoy!

Although I can see loads of the stuff just downwind of me on the BBC radar site so maybe we're not done with it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mountrath - one rumble of thunder @ 3.30pm about 3 miles north of my
    location. No great storm alas :( Cloudy and humid outside at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭highdef

Plenty of thunder and lightning yesterday morning @ about 6am in Baldoyle in northeast Dublin, right on the coast. Lasted about an hour. Not much rain. Kept me awake though. Continuous rumbles of thunder for well over 30 minutes.
    Went to Portmarnock beach yesterday @ about 14:30 yesterday. Clear blue skies and light winds when we arrived. Anyway, I was lying there topping up the tan and it started to get a bit hazy. About 14:45, I heard a loud deep rumble. Thought nothing of it. Presumed it was a plane as they were going overhead. Next thing I noticed was that the breeze was picking up and the sun was going in. As I lay on the sand, I opened my eyes. Straight up above me, the clouds looked like they were literally boiling. There were some amazing looking mammatacumlus (not sure if I spelt that correctly) pouring over followed by jet black clouds. As I prepared to gather my bits and pieces, there was a huge bolt of forked lightning directly overhead. It was a crawler. The lightning actually travelled along the underneath of the cloud, forks spreading out further and further almost into the blue sky which was nearby. I had never seen a crawler before except on TV. It was amazing. Anyway, as the clouds were so high up, the thunder wasn't heard for a good 5 or 6 seconds but my God, it was some crack when it did arrive. During the five minute walk back to the car, there was more lightning overhead and plently of loud thunder. The golfers carried on with their games. MAD! The weirdest thing though, was the lack of rain. It was just spitting rain. I wasn't getting wet at all. Can anyone explain howw there can be so much overhead lightning but so little rain. It was very much like the 6am storm.

Humid, dull and wet in west Waterford. Bleugh.

Mike.

mixes of cloudiness and warm sun here today and dry.

NTL, that storm cell was adjacent to you , you can be guaranteed that there was heavy rain at its centre and out a bit from it.

The storm we had yesterday delivered lots of loud rumblings and lightning too before the rain but it did gradually come overhead and then there was action!
    I went into tesco in arklow town , just a few miles east of here and right on the coast(the storm was travelling up the coast) and the rain was very intense.
    It was less intense here at the house and a few miles further inland there was no rain at all, though they saw the lightning and heard a constant low rumble.
    Massive cracks here though :eek:

I like a good storm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Earthman wrote:
    It's headed up in the direaction of wicklow town now to annoy mothman-enjoy!

Indeed it got to me at about 13:45. Huge amount of lightening with 50+ ground striKes seen. At least 4 within 500m of home.
    one of these hit my mum's house, the flue to be axact. Tales of sparks coming out of the flue. No permanent damage. May have only been a partial strike. Another destroyed a small tree up on the hill that overlooks me. The tree smouldered for hours after. It was a adjoyning woodland, and so it had to be islated to prevent spread. A tree beside my neighbours house was struck. They lost their power as well in isolation to everyone else.
    I forgot to unplug the telephone cable to the base unit of the portable phone, and it is now dead.
    Locally some cattle were killed. A pub was struck in Wicklow Town.

A sad note to these storms. A boy in England died as a result of a lightening strike. He was in his garden.

A reminder of how dangerous these conditions are.

Current conditions are Fog Visiblity about 100m Can't see hedge or trees at the other side of field.

• Advertisement

Hmmm,
    More lightning.
    I've just been on the phone to a friend in Baltinglass in west wicklow.
    They have had a few hours heavy rain now and thunder.
    The lightning has put out the electricity there.

It's bone dry here but it did look very dark to the west.

Wexford town-sunny with a lot of cloud

Gorey-monsoon! thunder heard but nothing seen

Arklow 8 miles further uproad-only a few spits-mostly dry.

I was in Gorey at about 1 pm and all was quiet. Otherwise it has been another mediocre dull semi-humid day.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I was in Gorey at about 1 pm and all was quiet. Otherwise it has been another mediocre dull semi-humid day.

Mike.
    Woo hoo! you are getting close to meh!!
    Gorey monsoon was at about 2 to half 2
    We're still more or less bone dry 8 miles to the north bar a little drizzle.

*edit*
    Meant to add I was told there was a housefire started by a lightning strike outside Baltinglass last night.
    We had nothing here.

Another roving report (or is it raving :p )
    Manchester lovely and about 25 and mostly sunny

Pah I can top that - Ballyduff, Nth Kerry. Pissing down!

Meanwhile as I went back east south east it dried out and was indeed sunny and warm until the rain in the west finally showed up in lo-cal form.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

overcast, kind of chilly. not the greatest of days

Well the heat and humidity in manchester yesterday was awfull and at around 6pm the heavens opened with a massive thunderstorm that went on all evening, floods of water everywhere.
    Nice to be back in the cool of Ireland! dull here now, rained a good bit during the night.

Started dull got brighter if still cloudy, now the cloud has vannished and its pretty darned warm.

Mike.

Well after a cloudy morning with the strangest of ripple effect clouds.

Tiz clear blue skies here in south east wicklow now with a warm south east breeze.
    Just lovely :cool:

Don't expect to have as good a report this time tomorrow curtesy of the remains of that hurricane.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Well after a cloudy morning with the strangest of ripple effect clouds.

Those clouds caught my attention as well..............

Its been a day with clouds moving rapidly northwards but fairly calm at ground level.

More of those clouds this morning.
    The rain has recently arrived, though have been drops in air for past few hours.

Peeing down since first thing....

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

cloudy, damp, cold, windy, miserable, 19C outside

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

A muggy old day with intermittant rain :(

The sun came out around 2 pm and its rather nice if breezy now.

Mike

started here pretty much the same as mothman up the road.
    Then about 2hrs very heavy rain followed by showers.
    Cloudy throughout-no sun at all even now-dry though
    Windy and cooler!

Dry and increasingly sunny through the day becoming warm and er summery.

Mike.

Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very warm, humid day so far, hazy sunshine, light wind, 22C but feeling alot warmer than that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement