Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 yoyoyo

Hi Ye all winds will transfer north tonight probably
    reaching sustained 32-36Kt along the east and
    south coast we could get gusts around 65-70mph
    tonight. Although they'll be on the coasts. A gust of
    45mph is alot more than one would think. Inland relistically
    unless you live on a airport runway when you see a large
    gust it usually would measure only 30mph possbily 40mph.
    Anyway onto the point,
    I went to the beach today to catchsome wind and hell
    it was wind measured a 47mph gust and if i didnt
    have my wind thing to gauge it i would of thought
    it was a 80mph gust, it was amazing on the beach i've never
    experienced anything like it!

Anyway up on land just 1 mile away winds were inly gusting
    to 25mph, no they have upt to 35mph and before tomorrow
    arrives 65mph gusts or even 80mph gusts are predicted to
    it that is alot more major than you would think.

Note: take care Dublin has only witnessed halve
    the windspeed you will tonight. I guarnatee utpo
    10,000 houses will be without power in the morning.

Disclamimer: I might be wrong :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Earthman,

Did you change your name, I feel sure you never used to be called that ?...
    Anyway here is the live weather bulletin from Donegal @ 22.15pm, 27th October 2004, No wind, No rain, a bit dark, but it is night time :) .

What a pity. I have always loved a damn good storm, always makes me feel closer to nature.

Still,heres hoping, let it rain, let it rain, let it rain, as the song went.

Night all.

P. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Paddy, Earthman started life as Man then mutated into Madman (I think I have that right!). Anyways its relented down here, the rain has been issued with a "Cease and Desist" order. The wind has died away too.

Mike.

Mike 65,

I knew I was right :D I am not losing my memory after all. Phew, thats a relief. Thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

here in meath this so called storm has been nothing more than a few normal gales that you hear if you go outside, not very exciting really, rained for about 2 hours today...i cant see us getting much more really as the 'winds' are meant to become calmer after midnight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

going OT... Mr. Identity Crisis as I call him... it was Madman, then man, and now Earthman. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

The last 2 reports for Dublin Airport were reporting gusts of almost 50mph, and they are forecasting gusts of almost 60mph between 10pm and 2am, and then easing after that.

It doesn't look like we'll get the 80mph gusts they were forecasting :(. (Well not in Dublin anyway).

DMC,

Well,you know how the weather effects some people. He could be another case of SAD ?... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Winds picking up all day in Blackrock, Dundalk, right on the coast. High tide at midnight. Just been down to see what the place was like and Main street is under about 2ft of water in places. Waves splashing onto the street. We've had it before but this is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

borrowed this from another forum http://www.net-weather.co.uk/forums

http://www.net-weather.co.uk/Images/271008452.jpg

theres a secondary low behind the current one apparantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bray beach near star amusments is flooded and the waves hitting the walls were huge i got a few photos on my phone i'll post up if i can get them off my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

here's three pictures.

really bad quality as i only had my camera phone with me and my mate's DSLR camera battery died

mike65 wrote:
    Paddy, Earthman started life as Man then mutated into Madman (I think I have that right!). Anyways its relented down here, the rain has been issued with a "Cease and Desist" order. The wind has died away too.

Mike.
    Twas the other way round I started as madman, became man and now I'm all earthy.

On the weather front, stormy throughout the night here but not that much rain, certainly no sign of the feared 80 mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Cremo wrote:
    here's three pictures.

really bad quality as i only had my camera phone with me and my mate's DSLR camera battery died

why would you be outside taking purdy pictures in weather like that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lexlip has a lovely blue sky with only a little breeze now, storm seems to have passed off quicker than expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

aye, similar in waterford

Not a bad looking day outside, but looking at the pressure chart on BBC Weather, it looks like it will be nightfall again when the wind returns. The isobars are tightly packed off the Kerry coast, and if the Low spins around again, the south and south-west will get more of it tonight.

There was a lot of flooding in places last night as that East wind pounded the Irish sea in to the land-the quays and lower lying areas of waterford and wexford being an example.

I didn't realise untill now but the sea breached the quays in Arklow last night aswell putting several housing estates on the south side of the town under as much as 3ft of water at times.

It seems a ship has ran aground off Kinsale...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/1028/cork.html

oh sh*t theres Diesel on board!!!!

• Advertisement

Donegal weather report;

Today we have a blue sky, and extremely mild conditions. Last night was a little breezy, but we have much worse winds in these parts most of the time.

Have a nice day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thunder and lightening 30 minutes ago, 3 rumbles heard in a shower that has moved north.

Sun shining now!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Not as Bad as everyone thought, Overcast, dull, but dry this afternoon in Killiney

Mothmans Thunderstorm was here at Lunchtime and cut the power for about two hours.
    There was no sunshine afterwards though Grrrr!!!

Enough excitement for one day methinks as if there wasn't enough going on.

Carlow is getting severe weather at the moment, electricty is gone in tullow and the bridge is also out in Tullow avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Quite a pleasant, mild, sunny afternoon here. There's a strong breeze, but no sign of the predicted storm.

Pretty wet after a few quiet hours this morning (I'm told) as I was in the wesht where apart from some showers it was a grand day. Howewer as I got back here the heavens opened BIG TIME. Thunder, lightening and me very wet just opening and closing gates!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Another thunderstorm with hail between 5 & 6. Should have passed over Dublin by now. Lots of rumbles in this one.

Any reports from Dublin on this one? It was heading your way.

In Dungarvan one of the boats tied-up in the Harbour ended up on the road that runs past!

Mike.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Another thunderstorm with hail between 5 & 6. Should have passed over Dublin by now. Lots of rumbles in this one.
    I saw that head up the coast and in your direction,it poured intensely in Arklow town at around half four but nothing here when I got out, about 2 miles inland, the storm hugged the coast and was out at sea.

In other news I've just seen an unusual report on the met.ie site for Rosslare
    ROSSLARE E 13 Gust 37 VIOLENT SHOWER 12 92 2.4

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement