Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Cold and foggy here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Blues skies earlier on in Limerick but starting to get cloudy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Dreadful weather here in Limerick. Just drove up from Cork. Raining in Cork, sunshine between Mallow and Croom and now howling wind and rain in Limerick.

My poor little car was rocking all over the road!!

Happy New Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bleugh here, increasing wind and rain.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just awoke after hearing a heavy (very heavy) downpour of hailstones followed by bangs of thunder and lightining. so i cheaked out meteorologica.co.uk and found something interesting. :cool: seems to be coming from the south of the country and sweeping up north. Im in sth dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Yes that's the cold front passing through. Though there was no thunder here it was impressive. I'm attaching 2 tables of data and a graph. Note the time of the 2 tables, the temp drop and prssure rise.

84mph at Dublin airport at 1300, also Thunder and Sleet at Casement. See http://www.met.ie/recentweather/, though the 1300 report will be gone by 1425.

Suddenly its bright and dry the sun is out and the wind has fallen away.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

There was fork lightning here in Tallaght from about 12:40 to 12:50 and lots of hail, there was around 20 flashes in ten minutes!. It was over as quick as it started....great stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Dublin Airport: Gust up to 73KTS, average wind 47KTS, drop in temperature of nearly 6 degrees in a few minutes, savage heavy shower. All around the 12.50 mark.

Has calmed down a fair bit since.

• Advertisement

And like Mike, its breezy bright and sunny here now.
    No Thunder here either but Boy did the wind get up and the rain crash down as that system passed away.

Heavy hail here now too,its gone dark as night from bright in minutes and the temp has dropped from 8 to 6

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Report of a mini tornado in Clonee
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0101/weather.html

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

If anyone saw this or has any names and contact details I would be glad to know as I research tornadoes and tornadic activity. Weather in Cork is only spasmodic heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just typical! I leave Dublin for 24hrs and what do i miss :eek: !!
    I come back and thers branches all over the road and then
    i hear about Tornado's, 84mph gusts :eek:

Just typical :D

By the way snow now falling in Knock with
    plenty of bands of showers rattling
    across the country should be some lying
    snow in a good few places by morning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I live near Clonee (about 2 or 3 housing estates away). I didn't see any tornado (in Ireland!:p ). I was jokingly calling it a mini-tornado to mates - maybe it caught on! It went from cold,calm and bright to really really heavy rain for about 5-10mins and then drizzly and windy for the rest of the day.

At about 12.30 (literally as I put a coat on to go to the pub for the Liverpool game) I heard a loud thunder in the sky, and for about 5mins it was crazy weather :eek:. Really strong winds that hammered at my window (I actually left my attic bedroom to go downstairs cos I didn't feel safe). You know when a heavy gust hits your window and dies away - well it just seemed to get faster and faster! Only damage done was the roofing material on the wooden shed being ripped off. Glad the storm didn't last.

One friend said he couldn't even walk through it. Also, his dad was cycling when trees started falling down around him - said it was the worst he ever got caught cycling in.

Every time the wind kicks up I start thinking its gonna start again!

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Certainly was a mad bit of weather here today sometime after 12 I think. Lasted only a few minutes but the wind and rain was unreal. House and car alarms went off all over the place and it was like buckets of water been thrown against the windows of the house, couldnt even see out the window it was that heavy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the wind is really howling here again, rain and snow mix falling outside atm

Heard a piece about a year back on tornados in Ireland. Can't remember whether it was TV or radio. Apparently about ten such events are reported every year in Ireland. No doubt there are others far more knowlegdeable who can add more details to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

It's still fairly windy in south Dublin, and a very cold wind as well! Rain seems to have stoped for a while though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tornado's are alot more common than one might think here
    in Ireland, and there is no such thing as a mini tornado ;)

Cregser people are currently filing a report on a possible tornado
    int he region, i'll pm you know for some info ;)

Tornado's are alot more common than one might think here
    in Ireland, and there is no such thing as a mini tornado ;)
    Ever heard of collquialisms weathercheck? :D Anything can be mini :) that doesn't stop it being what it is, ie a tornado if thats what it was.

I replied here describing a recent local event typical of probably many unreported rural weather events.

RTE covered that surprisingly at least in Longford
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2002/1025/tornado.html
    :D

The popularised term 'mini' with respect to tornadoes is used in several different ways to mean quite different things. Some have used it to refer to a funnel cloud that does not reach the ground and is, therefore, not a tornado. Others use it to refer to a tornado that is fully developed but seems smaller that what is typically thought by us in Ireland to be a tornado in the American sense. So, the term is meaningless and confusing. It is either a tornado or not a tornado. But the media persisit with it. B

The popularised term 'mini' with respect to tornadoes is used in several different ways to mean quite different things. Some have used it to refer to a funnel cloud that does not reach the ground and is, therefore, not a tornado. Others use it to refer to a tornado that is fully developed but seems smaller that what is typically thought by us in Ireland to be a tornado in the American sense. So, the term is meaningless and confusing. It is either a tornado or not a tornado. But the media persisit with it. But was the Clonee event a tornado?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Was'nt to sever here. I saw a big black cloud approaching, then there was a bit of strong wind, rain and hail for about 1 minute and that was it. Ndublin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

During the night and this morning, we had snow showers. At the moment it is sleety rain showers.

Fine, sunny, cold.

Mike.

Getting breezy with near gale gusts.

The other side of country has gusts to 70mph at Belmullet

• Advertisement

Dull mediocre day followed by blustery evening.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement