Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

yup,I was in a graveyard at lunchtime on an exposed hill and it actually felt pleasant compared to last night outside the church in the lashings of sleet and with the hands falling off me with the cold :eek:

I'd no sooner posted that when the heavens opened and the rain and hail flooded down.

Can see Lug na Quilla now and its covered in snow-it wasnt yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I woke up this morning to a white lawn and the car covered over by a cm with hailstones. There was a vicious hailstorm at 1635 this afternoon and during it the wind speed increased significantly. It was the worst wind chill I felt since February last year. Currently the sun is shining with a light NW breeze outside. Feels much warmer now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Pouring down here in Galway at the moment - so I'm waiting for it to pass on boards instead of going straight home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

8am April 9th Weather Light Snow Flurries
    Temperature 1c Dew point -1c :eek: :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

07z
    Snow showers at

Casement
    Clones
    Dublin Airport
    Knock
    Malin Head

Sunny with hardly a cloud in Wicklow.
    Temp rising in the sunshine, now 4C with DP -1C

Dublin watch out! Heavy snow and hail shower approaching!!

ETA 1140 :D:D

Words cannot describe what i have just witenessed and i am
    continuing to witness :eek:

OMG it is heavily snowing outside and with near blizzard conditions

OMG OMFG !!

That shower is the best snow shower i have seen in years..

Massive gusts of winds blowing wild blizzards of snow across the
    countryside-

And yes i have pictures and will upoad them now..

April 8th 2005 yes April 8th 2005!!

Help me before i collapse!

It certainly doesnt show what i say as it was darker and looked
    heavier to view but hey i have more coming later ;)

snowapril8bu.jpg

• Advertisement

calm down w.check...

I can see the drifts at christchurch allright,it must have been tremendous

Site0Camera11.JPG

heres the airport roundabout... wet from a snow/sleet shower probably but look at the ground and the road...

Site0Camera92.JPG

Seriously you need a Girlfriend :D

Hey!

It actually was an amzing event and if those cam had of captured
    the heart of the event you would have been surprised i'll pop
    up another to see if i can convince ye :D;)

here's a dramatic one where i captured the ferocity of the shower
    i was thrown back but my camaera managed to capture the
    shower :D:D

snowapril28qr.jpg

the ferocity of the shower
    i was thrown back
    It's a wonder that such tornadic forces didn't blow you through the wall and into the next room...

I see you got your day off for the pope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭highdef

Hey Weathercheck - Have to agree with you about that shower this morning. Although I think it was actually worse here. Started off as snow grains and graupel but turned to snow after about 10 mins - Shower lasted about 20 mins. And it was not too far from white out for at least 15 mins. Wind was very strong, temp dropped to 2.1c according to the thermometer in the back garden. Shame I didn't take a photo. Even the roads had a covering. There were snow drifts at walls of about 2/3 inches - Snow was all melted in about 20 mins once the shower had stopped. As I left the house to drive out to Phibsborough to get some work done on my car, I noticed that Howth was snow free. I thought this was unusual as when it it snows here in Baldoyle and sticks to any degree, Howth is always white. But not this time. When I got to the Clare Hall roundabout about a mile away, the road was bone dry and it was dry all the way out to Phibsborough - Must have been a local shower all right!!!

Ok - not really rain or shine but thought this may be a good place to post this. Below is a fairly small frame grab from a huge thunderstorm that came up the east coast back in 1996 or 1997, around August I think. Anyway I have the full thunderstorm on tape still - all 1 and a half hours of it. Any way, here is a frame grab from it when the camera was pointing out my bedroom window. You should be able to see a bolt of lightning not too far from the camera. On screen, it's left of a lampost and in front of house (actually technically the side of the house).
    Lightning.bmp
    What do you think. The full storm is available on tape (soon to be transferred to DVD). If anyone is interested in this video, please let me know. Just to let you know, up to this thunderstorm, I'd never seen anything better and I haven't seen anything better since either!!! Any comments, comment away here.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

That thuderstorm was in or around August 27th 1997 and is still the best thunderstorm ive ever seen in Dublin. It was a really really hot and humid day, the gas thing is it was a clear starry night, but looking out over the wicklow mountains all you could see was massive flashing for about 20-30mins but no sound, then distant rumbling which got more and more intense with the whole sky turning purple and blue. That storm scared the s**t out of me back then because i was in the house alone and one of the bolts set off the house alarm and cut the power for 10 mins, and its fairly scary trying to turn the alarm off in the dark with lightning and really massive bangs every 5-10 seconds. I will admit that I was too affraid to film that storm even though I had the camcorder ready. It really was the most ferocious Tropical storm ive ever seen.

BEST STORM EVER:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I remember that night too, It passed over Portlaoise, 15 miles N of me. I could see the lightning, but heard no thunder. Was impressive.

A friend of mine was in Portlaoise that night and said that it was the worst storm since July 25 1985.

Weather @ Dublin airport at 6pm GMT:

2 PM (18) Apr 12 Temp: 46F (8c) DP: 39F (4c) 30.06 (1018) WNW 6 light rain showers, small hail and/or snow pellets

lovely morning here,I suspect it's all downhill though...

• Advertisement

monsoonal rain here for the last 3 hours
    And for at least the last hour I can see the clearance and sunset to the northwest but it just doesnt want to come down here-it just continues to pour!

There was some rain for an hour or so from about 17:30 here in D8. Wasn't that much. Clearance is just overhead now and the roads are almost fully dry now. I guess the Dublin/Wicklow mountains that protected us from the rain here meant all the rain fell on you in Wicklow instead!!

yup still lashing, nearly 4 hours now non stop and there are rivers of water running everywhere!
    The radar shows a line down the east coast with a huge bubble of bright echoes around us :eek:

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/radar/index.html

Didn't have it quite so heavy except for a bit of hail to begin with. But could see the clearance that never arrived for hours. Even got the sunset but never cleared overhead. Had a rainbow after sunset as well...

over all not a bad day but cold.
    A few heavy showers too.
    And lugnaquilla is very snow capped again

I s'pose the summer will be along shortly...

Earthman wrote:

I s'pose the summer will be along shortly...

Not today, Sunday,

I think we should bring on Monday early ;)

LoL :D

No walk up the mountains today then for you mothman?

Todays description: Vile, wet, very wet, windy and just plain miserable.

make you want to go here for ideas on how to escape.

A shower on its way. Had a little hail earlier

That shower gave a very light sprinkling of 7mm hail.
    Day ended up sunny, and with the clear sky, already a grass frost bringing the total of grass frosts for month to 12, which exceeds the 11 recorded in Jan. Temp down to 5C, and an air frost could be on the cards...

• Advertisement

An air frost last night. -0.1C with Gmin -3.6C, coldest since March 13th for both.
    Now a sunny 5C

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement