Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rain or shine - you may post it here

Options

Comments

It is ridiculous at this stage.
    I've recorded over 7 inches now in october:eek: and guess what its raining again this morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Well folks i know its been really warm and all but it is October:D
    I think we have had fewer wet and windy days than we usually do
    in october's in the past. We havent had a real storm or any serious
    weather event. Anyway if its any consolation after another 7 - 9 days
    of mild wet and windy weather there is growing consensus that Europe
    will cool down siginificantly as High Pressure forms over Scandanavia.
    The Tropical Systems which have brought life to the Atlantic over the last
    1-2 month's will begin to reside as a result the Atlantic will return to
    an unusually high pressure dominanted state as the systems including the
    North Atlantic Drift slow considerably. There are trends appearing now
    that once the Hurricane Season finishes this winter could well be very
    settled and very cold and frosty with massive High pressure anomalies
    to our north.

In about 10-15 days time High Pressure frost and fog will arrice withtemperatures in single figures so enjoy these mild wet days as
    they will become few this winter.

I'll be realeasing a detailed winter forecast here later if the Mods
    allow and i hope you will have a read;) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is my 6th October for recording. This October won't be as wet as 2002, though it may get close, won't be as windy as either 2000 or 2001, and won't be as warm as 2001.
    It has been very dull with the huge number of 10 sunless days (Oct 04 had 6) with a further 4 with less than an hour.

Well folks i know its been really warm and all but it is October:D
    I think we have had fewer wet and windy days than we usually do
    in october's in the past.
    I dunno about portmarnock but I think I've only had 2 totally dry days this month.
    Rain rate now is 7.1mm/hr
    Heavy rain has set in over the last hour again and its windy gusting up to 30mph and averaging around 20 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, Avbrief latest radar shows impressive echo's over pretty much the whole south east, going to wet for a while yet lads!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    I dunno about portmarnock but I think I've only had 2 totally dry days this month.

It was anticyclone gloom for first week or so, and the first 6-7days were dry, which makes it very wet for last 3 weeks.............in case you hadn't noticed :p:D

Mothman wrote:
    It was anticyclone gloom for first week or so, and the first 6-7days were dry, which makes it very wet for last 3 weeks.............in case you hadn't noticed :p:D
    I'd forgotten.

But even in that anticyclonic gloom we got some rain/drizzle :(

A friend in Waterford just told me its torrential down there, and looking at the radar there is white echo's also, wouldnt be suprised if there was flooding in the SE counties tonight.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Stormy

Loads of gusts over 50mph.

1 min avg 47mpg

2 min 42mph

5 min 39mph,

10min 36mph so almost a gale. This is almost my strongest mean speed all year (Jan 11th 38mph) and I've only had one stronger gust.

Definitely think a stronger gust hit the house, I know by the creaks etc, the anemometer is 100m away. Mean is back down to a modest 30mph now.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

fecking lashing out of the heavens here in killiney...

preventing me to go to the Pub... :(

• Advertisement

yes I was thinking of you earlier mothman :D
    From about half eight to half nine very windy here too having calmed down relatively in the preceding hours.
    Max at 2 meters reached 44mph.
    It was bad only for about a half hour really here
    Still windy though

Telephone line has survived but gone to pot
    This is dial up :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Longfield wrote:
    A friend in Waterford just told me its torrential down there, and looking at the radar there is white echo's also, wouldnt be suprised if there was flooding in the SE counties tonight.

It was like monsoon for about 20 mins! The NTL is gone a bit wonky as well I think damp is getting into everything!

Mike.

11.9mm was the total rain for the day today including a very wettish period around 8pm ish I think

Having died down considerably earlier, the winds gusting up to 25mph now again.

No more website updates untill tomorrow sometime I'm afraid as Broadband is out for the count :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Love to see all this wet weather coming at once!

Wind really picked up during past hour with gusts to 54mph, not quite a strong as yesterday's 59mph.
    Mean for the day 22mph, which is high for my site.
    Raining as well and with that wind, it's doesn't matter whether its heavy or not...

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

Arklow Bypass 52km/h, but Gweedore 92km/hr:eek:
    It'd be fun driving on that road at moment. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

TBH this is all pretty weak stuff, where are the real autumn storms ? , i mean 52 - 92 MPH (probably at places like malin head etc).

Tbh this autumn has been pretty dull, warm and wet, windy wouldnt really come into the classification tbh (in comparison to other stormy years imho)

Merged to breath life back into this one :D

Coldest night in a while...well morning really, the minimum was reached at 736am at 3.5c
    2hours later and its up to 8c in clear blue sunny skies.

Nearly an inch overnight. Will be looking at record books soon at wettist 4 week period(since 1999). Another inch during next few days might do it.

210mm since 7th October.

• Advertisement

Yeah:eek:
    A drenched Earthman has reached cork city.
    By feck was the rain coming down in sheets near bandon,I've rarely seen the like of it.I had to pull in as I couldnt see where I was going.

A friend of mine records rain for met éireann in Coolgreaney and is on or about the same total as myself at the moment so I'm pretty happy with the Davis measurement.
    I see both websites and my broadband held up through the rainstorm pretty well-they're still live anyway :D

here in cork-pretty much heavy showers bordering on continous rain last time I looked out about 15 minutes ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

daveirl wrote:

Yes Dave it is.

Cork Airport was the wettest synoptic station in October with 220mm, it's wettest October since 1996, but then you sort of knew that already.
    I had 188.7mm and Casement only 84mm

Meanwhile the showers continue, though total rainfall since this morning has only been about 6mm.

I'm home honey I'm home \o/

I see theres been 16mm here today since midnight last night added to the 17 before midnight last night, theres been 33mm in about 28hrs.

Raining lightly at present here in Arklow and getting windy again gusting to 19mph.

Whilst driving out of cork this evening it was lashing rain,lots of dangerous surface water.The road was completely flooded at midelton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It rained today and was windy.

Aaaaaaaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

I'm better now. :)

Mike.

Thats ok mike.

You know ,considering all the rain over the last month, it just goes to show how dry the ground was and how low the river levels were, that only in the last couple of days are we having flooding issues.

Here-little or no sun (mothman had some)
    Just some heavyish showers tending to longer outbreaks of drizzly rain and breezy.

Temperature dropping readily even though its cloudy and drizzly outside right now.
    First sub 10c this early in the evening in a little while.

index.gif

Heavy shower here at the moment (see the img on the last post)

Rain rate currently 8.1mm/hr

It's in danger of delivering more rain than what we got here last night.

Oh rain rate up to 8.9mm/hr now and wind gusting to 20mph

Eagle I'm in the East-whats this you said about dry tonight :D

Earthman wrote:
    Oh rain rate up to 8.9mm/hr now and wind gusting to 20mph

Eagle I'm in the East-whats this you said about dry tonight :D

One day in SE next day in East, make your mind up :D

Meanwhile in THE EAST, it's dry and partly cloudy ;)

• Advertisement

LoL

The letters from the DVO say wicklow East :D The southEast is 1 field away though-co wexford.

Rain rate down to 1.3 now

The shower from the radar looks like its hitting the whole of wexford and up into west wicklow and north carlow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement